• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 cartridges

wapiti16b

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2014
New Mexico
I'm looking for any information on the 6.5 Super LR cartridge , especially pertaining to barrel life expectancy versus 260 IMP and 6.5 Creedmoor . I'd like the 6.54s but that would require a new action .
Is this cartridge a barrel burner like 6.5x284 ?

Expect no difference in barrel life between 6.5 Creed, 260 and 6.5SLR all at equal velocities from the same length barrel. There is basically zip point shit difference in case capacity between them, thus their performance potential is essentially the same.

The 260-30° Imp, on the other hand will use up the barrel (slightly) faster because it has (slightly) more case capacity.

Thanks , that's good to know . I'm leaning toward the 6.5SLR for the same reason as the 6.5CM , the bearing surface of the neck . I load all my own ammo so factory brass is not an issue . Would you say one is more accurate than the other , all things being equal ?

Thanks , that's good to know . I'm leaning toward the 6.5SLR for the same reason as the 6.5CM , the bearing surface of the neck . I load all my own ammo so factory brass is not an issue . Would you say one is more accurate than the other , all things being equal ?

I don't have a 6.5SLR to use as a comparison, but I do have a 6mm SLR.

Between a 6mm Creedmoor, 6x47, 6xc, 6SLR and 243, there is no appreciable accuracy difference. I've seen them all shoot 1 hole at 100, and shoot sub 1/2 moa group at 1000 yards.

Honestly, I can't say I'd really recommend the SLR. Why pay $220 for a set of proprietary dies? Why buy a reamer, or make your gunsmith buy a specialty wildcat reamer? Why shun off Lapua brass? Why commit yourself to a mandatory sizing operation before you can load ammo?

My opinion is stick to one of the mainstays of the 6.5mm short action world: 260, 6.5 Creed or a 6.5x47. My pick would be one you can easily and readily buy Lapua brass for.

6.5 cartridges

The 6.5x47 Lapua is an extremely efficient case design. When my barrel was new 41g of H4350 was getting me 2875fps, the other 6.5s seem to need 1-1.5 grains more to match. This seems to be due to the small rifle primer and higher pressure threshold. That should translate to slightly better barrel life, mine was still shooting 1/2 MOA at 2350 rounds. I've since switched to 6Creed as my primary comp. cartridge but that's strictly for flatness and brass cost.