• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 CM Ammo Recommendations for New Tikka T3x Tac A1

RgrDat

RLTW
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2017
Tucson, AZ
So I bought my first real long gun today (the Tikka T3x TAC A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 24" barrel 1:8 twist). First off, I couldn't be more excited as it is something I've wanted for a long while now. Anyway, considering I've never owned a 6.5CM rifle, can you guys point me in the right direction in terms of specific ammo choice? I want to do some range shooting (bench and prone) out from 500 to 1000 yds. I'm not trying to kill anything, nor am I trying to win any contests. Just looking for the right ammo for me. With all that said, what ammo would you guys recommend I try (I understand I'm gonna have to determine what I like and what works for me)? I'm willing to buy multiple boxes, different brands, different grain weights, different shape rounds, etc. Without absolutely destroying my bank account and buying the $60 boxes of 20 round ultimate match grade stuff, I would like to hear the thoughts of any and all who have some experience shooting a similar rifle at similar distances. Hornady, Federal, Nosler, etc? 120, 130, 140 etc. grain wt.? And so on and so forth. Thanks in advance for the advice and taking the time to read this long post of mine.
Cheers,
Matt

Reactions: Alikessu
I ran 140gr hornady American gunner ammo and their match 140gr ELDM’s with good success outta my old tikka to 900yds (ran outta ammo before I made 1000yds). It’s cheap, and shot really well for me. YMMV but hornady is a good place to start.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the quick replies already. Keep em comin' as I'll take all the advice I can get.

My tikka CTR loves the American Gunner too as well as ELDMs. The AG is really inexpensive and performed much better than I expected.

Reactions: RgrDat
As already mentioned, start with American Gunner. Good price and shoots very well. I used it at the Alaska course last year in my TAC A1 and it performed very well for me.

Berger 140gr Hybrid ammo... If you can find it. Most consistent factory ammo I've ever seen

Same rifle. Shooting the Hornady 147 ELD-M factory ammo. Goes far. Makes small holes.

Mine loved the old Prime with the Norma bullets. Can't speak of the new stuff with SMKs.

Also, try the Berger ammo. Good price and comes with Lapua brass to start reloading.

had nice results with the 142 smk 6.5 and berger140's if you want better than factory but I also loved the 130 prime and the 140 hornady american gunners for the cost at the time they were dam nice at around 64 cents per round but with the corona hold the lime going around there price went up sharply or they are harder to find at a price that makes sense I guess they are still cheaper just by a lot less . good luck on which ever round you get its a fun round to shoot

I had bad results with the Federal Berger 130 load, around 2760fps but had 104 ES & 28 SD which resulted in 24" vertical stringing at 1000 yards. I switched to the Berger 140 load it is hands down much better, 2690 FPS and 12 SD (plus Lapua brass!). I bought some of the new Prime 130 load and have only shot 10 rounds through a magnetospeed chronograph and it was 2661FPS and 12.6 SD. I was hoping for more velocity out of the Prime but as others have stated Tikka's are slow. I'm looking to rebarrel my Tikka and see how the numbers compare.

I just ordered a couple of boxes of several Hornady and FGMM loads to test in my TRG. Hoping to get them before the weekend and will report back.

PRIME, or Federal Gold Medal Match Berger 130 gr., good luck finding the Federal right now. The Hornady Match in the 140gr. range aren't bad either.

I also use American Gunner in my Tikka. I have also been very surprised by how good the Sellier & Bellot 6.5cm HPBT ammo has been out of the Tikka, easily sub-MOA, but it's going to be a slow round. I don't normally like S&B but it's been running great as a cheap practice round at about $.50/rd

It depends on how far you wanna shoot MOA out to. The American Gunner shoots sub moa out to 500-600 in my CTR, which for $.80 makes it great. The Sellier and Bellot also shot really well but is slower and had wide ES. At under 300 it was around .75 moa... I feel the tikka shoot almost all factory really well. Where you see the difference on premium ammo is low ES and SD which hold better at longer distance.

Mine shoots Federal American Eagle 140g OTM very well. Unfortunately, I can't find it anymore. I'm shooting with Omega Suppressor.

When I first got mine the Hornady 140 ELD match ammo was the cats ass. Until I started reloading for it .

So I bought my first real long gun today (the Tikka T3x TAC A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 24" barrel 1:8 twist). First off, I couldn't be more excited as it is something I've wanted for a long while now. Anyway, considering I've never owned a 6.5CM rifle, can you guys point me in the right direction in terms of specific ammo choice? I want to do some range shooting (bench and prone) out from 500 to 1000 yds. I'm not trying to kill anything, nor am I trying to win any contests. Just looking for the right ammo for me. With all that said, what ammo would you guys recommend I try (I understand I'm gonna have to determine what I like and what works for me)? I'm willing to buy multiple boxes, different brands, different grain weights, different shape rounds, etc. Without absolutely destroying my bank account and buying the $60 boxes of 20 round ultimate match grade stuff, I would like to hear the thoughts of any and all who have some experience shooting a similar rifle at similar distances. Hornady, Federal, Nosler, etc? 120, 130, 140 etc. grain wt.? And so on and so forth. Thanks in advance for the advice and taking the time to read this long post of mine.
Cheers,
Matt
Yes. Really nice rifle. I gave up hunting myself a long time ago. But, love to shoot. I do not complain of ammo prices. Any hobby requires money. That being said, I will surf, find, and order. Tried Berger 130, Hornady 143 eld, nosler 120, and others. For me? The accuracy and the ability to repeat it? Remington high performance 140gr BT. Those are really nice. I know where the cold shot is every time. I use an ebr reticle. Never have to touch the scope at most distances. The Berger 130’s are my second. Faster, but tend to hang high if you are measuring. The Hornady 143 eld’s do not shoot as well. Can’t miss a deer, but if wanting precision, they are kinda all over the place. Rem all the way for me.

I tested some factory ammo this weekend my 6.5 to find s backup. I tested Berger 140 hybrid, Hornady 140 Eldm, and Sig 140 Elite. Each was a 5 shot test with a Magnetospeed V3. This is a small sample but gives an idea.

Berger 140 average mv 2822 w/ an SD of 22.8

Hornady Eldm 140 average mv 2695 w/ an SD of 19.6

Sig 140 average mv 2800 w/ an SD of 14.8

Hard to go wrong with either the 140 gr Hornady American Hunter or the Hornady 140 ELD match. I personally shoot the ELD match ammo but have a friend with a Tikka who is very capable with the American Hunter which was a few cents cheaper before the ammo shortage hit. We've shot both over 1000 yards with no issues. I've shot well over 1000 rounds of the stuff.

Hornady also makes the 147 gr ELD match which may carry marginally better in high wind but it can be hard to find now.

I've had really good luck with the Hornady American Gunner 140gr out to 850 yards. It groups .75-1 MOA in my rifles and comes out to around .70 a round when ordered in bulk. Can't beat that value!

Berger 140gr Hybrid ammo... If you can find it. Most consistent factory ammo I've ever seen
This ^^ matches my chrono data.

Fed Premium w Berger is also very consistent so far.

and Prinebut I don’t have very much chrono data on it.

my 6.5 CM has a 25” SS proof barrel that seems to really like the Berger Hybrid Target.