• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 CM cartridge not chambering.

BlkZ06

Gas guzzlin' V-8's, and proud of it.
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2013
SC
Hey everyone.
I have a custom built 6.5 CM assembled on a APR G2 action, Bartlein barrel, and Badger Bottom Metal, Manners EH1. This action/barrel has been assembled by a top builder, and I am doing my own stock and bedding. This is the 5th rifle I’ve assembled using my own stock.

As I started test fitting everything together, I’m having a huge issue with the action chambering the last round, or just a single round out of the magazine. The cartridge gets “stuck” or basically wedged, as it starts to go up off the feed ramp into the chamber. If I lay the cartridge on top of the mag ears, it goes in like butter.
I have adjusted the height or depth of the DBM to no avail….used both AI and AM magazines, and tried a different brand of bottom metal, and it’s still an issue.
I also tried 2-3 different boxes of ammo.

Obviously the builder is willing to let me send it back to see what’s wrong, but I’m hoping I’ve overlooked something and it’s something stupid on my end and I can take care of it so I’m not without the rifle for 6 weeks.
I don’t think theres a problem I’ve missed but I’ve been stupid before. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Does it feed the rest of the rounds in the mag, but won’t feed the last one?

Mag spring tension?

Does it feed the rest of the rounds in the mag, but won’t feed the last one?

Mag spring tension?
It’s feeds every round but the last round.

I tried 2 brand new AI mags, and a brand new Accurate mag. Same result.

Measure the width of the feedlips on the mag so you know where you are starting at and can at least return to the default and start bending them, probably a smidge wider at the front of the lips to let it point up every so higher and clear

Reactions: Earnhardt
Elaborate? Feeding too "flat"- and jamming the nose of the bullet into the feed ramp?
I would say definitely feeding a bit flat, but the angle it’s being fed into the chamber is such that the case is wedging and sticks about 1/4” down from the cartridge shoulder.

Measure the width of the feedlips on the mag so you know where you are starting at and can at least return to the default and start bending them, probably a smidge wider at the front of the lips to let it point up every so higher and clear
I wondered about trying that since I’m using .308 mags, but I wouldn’t think the feedlips would be an issue?

Its pretty normal to tweak feed lips on metal mags - with the front being a bit wider than the back lips.
If the rest of the rounds are chambering except the last - i would play with that. With the front lips wider - the round can 'nose up' a bit easier as it is being pushed by the follower. There are a few companies that make tools specific for this - but can also just use an adjustable wrench.
Can/Could also be the mag height in the bottom metal - idk if that is adjustable on the manners/badger combo - but would think it is/can be - but i wouldn't go that direction unless 'most' rounds were having the feeding/chambering issue.

Reactions: BlkZ06
Sounds to me that the magazine isn't up far enough for the bolt to grab that last round. With other rounds in the mag you have the bottom round providing support so that the round above doesn't dive too far. This to me sounds like a magazine that isn't seating far enough up or is seating too far down in the front. Have you tried holding the magazine upward and cycling the last round? Could also be the inlet is off just enough that your bottom metal and action aren't aligning front to back. I've had that issue once before from a very reputable builder. That was when the .300 PRC was just coming on scene and you couldn't really find ammo. They had nothing to test feeding with and didn't catch the slight inlet issue. They fixed it very quickly and paid all the shipping etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: BlkZ06