• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5 CM OCW Torture Test - Dracos Barrel

No problem. The StraightJacket barrels being done at Teludyne Custom Shop will be what I've shown you here. Best of luck

Im shooting a 22" 6.5 creedmoor dracos suppressed. Here is my length test tonight at 60deg f

Attachments

• 20180524_204456.jpg
    20180524_204456.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 138
Reactions: Subwrx300
I've thought a lot about this. Are you running a muzzle brake or device or some kind? I only ask because I recently took off my brake and after putting it back on the barrel, my first shot started to go way left/up then group then Low right then back to center.

I took the brake off, retorqued with lower pressure (10-15lbs) and it came right back to normal. This might have something to do with their construction as the brake is kinda of pinning both the barrel and the shroud together and if it moves slightly from cold to warm barrel, could explain the shift. Luckily, my shift isn't that big: .3 left/high of group center typically. Also about .25 moa total lower impact after 12-15 consecutive rounds but again, it's predictable (for me at least) so I don't sweat it.

Can you try shooting without brake or thread protection? Just to rule out torque issue?

I am currently shooting it suppressed. But I have tried every other method as well. I’ve shot unsupressed and all that changes is where the first shot hits relative to the rest of the group. I believe it shot about 1 MOA left. What really makes you think is that when I completely removed the gas chamber and tube and shot it non-repeating style, it shot lights out. No first round flyer. My method for tightening my supressor has never been real scientific but it has never mattered in any other rifle. I put the rifle between my legs to hold it and hand tighten good with both hands. I like your thinking about pinching the barrel core and shroud but it doesn’t seem to hold up in my experience.

I am currently shooting it suppressed. But I have tried every other method as well. I’ve shot unsupressed and all that changes is where the first shot hits relative to the rest of the group. I believe it shot about 1 MOA left. What really makes you think is that when I completely removed the gas chamber and tube and shot it non-repeating style, it shot lights out. No first round flyer. My method for tightening my supressor has never been real scientific but it has never mattered in any other rifle. I put the rifle between my legs to hold it and hand tighten good with both hands. I like your thinking about pinching the barrel core and shroud but it doesn’t seem to hold up in my experience.
I think Dracos needs to figure out their gas block pronto. It's not useful in it's current form. I may try your test also to see what that does to precision on my barrel. Very curious.

I have not. Just the 147s. They seem to be doing well. This 21 shot string had an sd of 10fps and the one length seems to shoot well. I need more rounds to verify.
That's seriously amazing: 20+ told string had an SD of 10?! Awesome! Great work and I may try a few of the 147s to see how they run. Thanks for posting!

Any of you guys that live in Maine are welcome to try my StraightJacket AR, I welcome the round count. Bring your own can though.....

Im shooting a 22" 6.5 creedmoor dracos suppressed. Here is my length test tonight at 60deg f
That 2.150 sure shot nice. I'd be interested to see if you can do it again. My experience with this barrel in 6mm has been that I'll find a load that shoots well, but then I can never seem to replicate it.

That 2.150 sure shot nice. I'd be interested to see if you can do it again. My experience with this barrel in 6mm has been that I'll find a load that shoots well, but then I can never seem to replicate it.
That's my experience also. Granted, it shoots 1MOA without much issue but .5MOA is the goal.

Group below was shot at 1060yds with 123 SMKs. .5 width but 1MOA vertical. 2min wind hold. Not sure how to the vertical out...I've tried bunch of seating depths and charges but still wants to creep a bit up/down. Could be my recoil control but not sure.

IMG_20180528_182857.jpg

Not sure how to the vertical out...I've tried bunch of seating depths and charges but still wants to creep a bit up/down. Could be my recoil control but not sure.

One source of vertical that is not often talked about is neck tension variability. When I started annealing my .260 brass every firing, my vertical at 1K yds. went down to 3 ish inches.

One source of vertical that is not often talked about is neck tension variability. When I started annealing my .260 brass every firing, my vertical at 1K yds. went down to 3 ish inches.
The brass used here has been annealed after each firing. And definitely understand neck tension consistency (have another thread in reloading section trying to solve bullets unseating/elongating when chambering.) Have been able to reduce it slightly but rounds still unseat .003-.10" when cycling. A round placed in chamber by finger and bolt slammed shut does not do this, so it's related to force of BCG hammering home.

Seeing this the only thread I've been able to find, I recently purchased the savage hunter but in a 6.5 creedmoor barrel. I'd like to get the 308 in a 20" barrel length but want to purchase it as a complete upper. any suggestions??? thanks

You cant. You can swap the barrel with the upper you have but Savage will not sell the upper alone.
If you get an intermediate gas barrel, you can also use your current gas block(if you remove the alignment notch or make an alignment notch on the barrel) and gas tube.

You cant. You can swap the barrel with the upper you have but Savage will not sell the upper alone.
If you get an intermediate gas barrel, you can also use your current gas block(if you remove the alignment notch or make an alignment notch on the barrel) and gas tube.

Well that kinda sucks.. lol

Someone posted earlier about a dracos vs proof. In my experience the proof was sub moa, but just held at that. The dracos shot better. Both in a 6.5 creed.
The christensen 6.5 i ran shot the same as the dracos, but no gas issue like the dracos. I did have to put a better taper in the begining of the chamber to pick up the 140+ bullets as the feed ramps did not pick it up before it reached barrel face.

I'm also using the RCA Adjustable gas key. Shooting suppressed especially, I'd rather limit the gas at the block instead of the BCG, but it does work.

As for the barrel, I'm pretty happy with mine. I've been able to find consistent .5 to .7 loads with 3 different bullets and 2 different powders. Occasionally, it will shoot .3s, like it did here:

WP_20180618_001 1.jpg

NOTE: The above loads are pretty hot. I've since backed down to a lower node in the 3130 FPS range with the 87grain Berger and V-max.

Awesome news. I'll be doing some recommending on this for pops and we'll be assembling it this upcoming year (2019). Who knows maybe I'll get him talked into a road trip to a shoot/meet this year with it.

Thanks again all

Nice to see all these results! Anyone have a high round count through theirs yet? I'm curious to see if their "5x barrel life" claim holds up.

Nice to see all these results! Anyone have a high round count through theirs yet? I'm curious to see if their "5x barrel life" claim holds up.
I got to 2000 but had an issue with suppressed groups doubling (2 split groups). Without suppressor/brake it still shot fine (.3-.5 for 5 shot groups). Talked with Dracos and they said it shouldn't be doing that.

Sent me a brand spanking new barrel 6 days total with shipping both ways covered by them. Class act.

The second barrel has maybe 200 tons through it and it shoots .2 to .3 for first 5 then opens to .5 -.6. easily most consistent/accurate cold bore barrel I've over owned.

@Subwrx300 Any update from Dracos on the new gas block design? I'm looking at buying the Dracos 22" 260REM for my LaRue UU kit. Thanks
Haven't talked to them in a while. They did redesign the crown/cap section I believe but not sure on gas block. My sample of 2 barrels were very accurate but they required a slightly lighter bullet or lighter charge than bolt gun with se chamber (fairly common in my experience). My 6.5 CM barrels loved 123SMKs at 2850 and 140s ELDs at 2650 or so.

Haven't talked to them in a while. They did redesign the crown/cap section I believe but not sure on gas block. My sample of 2 barrels were very accurate but they required a slightly lighter bullet or lighter charge than bolt gun with se chamber (fairly common in my experience). My 6.5 CM barrels loved 123SMKs at 2850 and 140s ELDs at 2650 or so.

Ah okay, thanks for the answer. Looks like I am going to get one. Dracos is selling the 22" 260 Rem for $426, hard to beat. It sounds like I am going to need an AGK since I will be running my SiCo Omega the whole time.

I am trying Berger 140 Elite Hunters currently. 41gr H4350 is giving me 2630.

I'm not necessarily recommending that anyone does this, but I know a guy that made the gas block adjustable by drilling a hole just above the gas port hole, tapping it 10x32, and using a set screw to fill said-hole.

20191116_213128.jpg

That same guy says he should have drilled it on the opposite side of the gas block for easier access, but it works very well. Running suppressed, it only takes one full turn out from bottom to get proper gas on a 6 Creed.

Reactions: LongRangeAggie
I'm not necessarily recommending that anyone does this, but I know a guy that made the gas block adjustable by drilling a hole just above the gas port hole, tapping it 10x32, and using a set screw to fill said-hole.

View attachment 7204349

That same guy says he should have drilled it on the opposite side of the gas block for easier access, but it works very well. Running suppressed, it only takes one full turn out from bottom to get proper gas on a 6 Creed.

Very interesting, thank you for sharing. I wonder if Dracos would send a replacement if it were to not work out.

I saw someone say that each gas block is hand-fitted to each barrel or some such. I call BS. I have two and they're interchangeable. I recon they're just not set up to sell gas blocks individually and don't want to go through the hassle.

I have StraightJacket barrels, not Dracos (although similar in design); and I can assure you my gas blocks are in fact hand fitted. The gas block on the Dracos is also fitted in place, it's only half that comes off, I believe. 3 screws if memory serves.

yes, the block dovetails into a special collar thing in the jacket and is held there by 3 screws. On the two barrels I have, they are identical as far as I can see. I guess I never put the calipers on them, but they are interchangeable. Each fits and functions perfectly on the opposite barrel.

On my jacketed barrels, it's an actual gas block fitted in the jacket. The reason the Dracos is like that, is so you can slip a barrel nut over it, then attach the gas block. My barrels nuts are fixed behind the jacket. Commits me to one type of handguard for that particular system, but I'm ok with that

Attachments

• 20181229_171756.jpg
    20181229_171756.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: LeadZeke
I have the falkor omega in 6.5 and it shoots AmericanGunner 140s .5”-.75” all day. It was shooting 143 eldx factory around .5”. I’ve only shot it suppressed and have had no issues with fliers. So far I’m loving it this thing. The gas key works really well.

Reactions: buskin