• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 CM Purchase Help

Joemannnnn

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Hey Guys, I'm looking to acquire my first bolt rifle. To date I've only messed with the AR platform and have built a few rifles. I don't have any experience with the bolt action platform and want to change that. I'm wanting to start my search and keep an eye out for any deals or marketplace items that come available during the holiday sale season. I'm trying to stay under $1k for the rifle itself. The purpose of the rifle will mainly be target shooting, but would like to have it available for hunting too. I've been lurking here for awhile and have narrowed my search down to the Bergara HMR (24" on sale at Cabelas it seems for $950), Tikka CTR 24", Howa 1500 barreled action with a KRG Bravo stock. The Ruger Precision is interesting too, but I think that may be tough for the hunting and I'm wanting to try something a bit more traditional I think.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the 3 options I listed. I like that KRG stock and realize I could set up a Tikka with one too, but that's getting up above the budget. I'm not opposed to a cheaper option like the Ruger American or a Savage either. If one of those re-stocked is a better option within budget. Let me know your thoughts, appreciate the input

Stick with the Tikka, probably the best out of the box, mass produced rifle/actions ever developed. Extremely smooth and amazing accurate. The aftermarket is swelling with parts and upgrades. I dont think you could find a better way to spend $900 on a rifle.

I like the Bergara as well, but think the CTR is king in that price point ATM. I love my RPR, but you do not want to deal with carrying that thing around hunting if you're walking any. Check the PX too, see if anything there you like.

You can always get the CTR now and upgrade to the Bravo later, you don't have to buy it as soon as you buy the rifle.

Reactions: Joemannnnn
If your familiar with the ar a Ruger precision would work great. As far as the RPR being too heavy or awkward to hunt with that would be a personal preference.

I'd buy the Bergara over the Tikka for two reasons, AICS mags and Rem 700 pattern. Former RPR owner opinion; Unless you're walking 100yds from your truck to the blind, I wouldnt want to hunt with it. It's heavy and a bit clunky.

I love my 24" HMR. Scheels had them on special for $900 last weekend with their exclusive grey stock.

Stick with the Tikka, probably the best out of the box, mass produced rifle/actions ever developed. Extremely smooth and amazing accurate. The aftermarket is swelling with parts and upgrades. I dont think you could find a better way to spend $900 on a rifle.

Yes, I think Tikka is my favorite based on my initial reading here. I just don't love the stock. But that can be changed of course, just ups the budget.

You can always get the CTR now and upgrade to the Bravo later, you don't have to buy it as soon as you buy the rifle.

That would require patience, ha!

If your familiar with the ar a Ruger precision would work great. As far as the RPR being too heavy or awkward to hunt with that would be a personal preference.

The RPR is certainly attractive. It's not necessarily out of the running. But I think I'd shatter my bank account with the urge to go crazy on add-ons.

For the Tikka fans, or even the Bergara for that matter, is there a preferred place to purchase these. Do either ever go on sale? I'll definitely be watching the PX as well

I love my 24" HMR. Scheels had them on special for $900 last weekend with their exclusive grey stock.

When I first started looking at these rifles, it was maybe a year ago. Back then I want to say the 24" Bergara was a Bass Pro special. Was that the case? I take it it's available elsewhere now?

When I first started looking at these rifles, it was maybe a year ago. Back then I want to say the 24" Bergara was a Bass Pro special. Was that the case? I take it it's available elsewhere now?

Scheels and Bass Pro/Cabela's both offer 'Exclusive' barrel lengths. The Scheels version comes with a grey stock, so everyone can say they have an exclusive model.

My vote is for the Tikka. Action is smooth and accuracy out of the box is almost unfair.

Reactions: Nathan11B
For a Tikka Ctr you could call eurooptic and ask them for their best price. Since it is a map priced item they can not list their price less than map but they can sell it to you cheaper if you call.

Another thing to consider. Buy a tikka lite in hunting caliber. Hope you can get barrel off easy. Buy prefit barrel in heavier contour. Buy bravo. Just a hair more than a ctr but very light hunting barrel/cartridge/stock and bravo/prefit for precision shooting

Or sell factory barrel/stock/bottom metal

Reactions: Codiekfx400
Another thing to consider. Buy a tikka lite in hunting caliber. Hope you can get barrel off easy. Buy prefit barrel in heavier contour. Buy bravo. Just a hair more than a ctr but very light hunting barrel/cartridge/stock and bravo/prefit for precision shooting

Or sell factory barrel/stock/bottom metal

So if I understand correctly, in this scenario I'm robbing only the Tikka action, buying new barrel and stock? Not opposed to doing some work, would help me learn I'm sure. Probably opening another can by asking where to look for barrels in this scenario...

Brownells will probably have a 10% discount deal floating around for Black Friday / Cyber Monday with no FFL fee and free shipping if you were inclined to get the best deal possible

Save your money for ammunition... just get the Tikka CTR and start shooting. Fundamentals practice and training will benefit you much more than sinking $$ into another stock or a different barrel. Add a muzzle device, scope, and go take a class. My Tikka with an old Mk4 Leupy ran with a full $7k GA Precision build in the last class I was in. Not as flashy, but I could afford lunch.

Im no expert and am fairly new to the precision scene but I do own a Tikka and man for a sub $1000 gun its damn good

Update to my purchase situation...I made quite the impulse buy already just now. As I thought would happen, it really boiled down to the Tikka and Bergara on this thread. I spent some time reading all the threads on various forums comparing those 2 rifles last night. It really was a coin toss for me. Today I went on Gunbroker and saw an auction for a new 24" Tikka CTR 6.5 and it started at $760 with no reserve and no bids yet and was ending soon. I bid and got it at $785 which seems like a good deal currently. The cheapest I had seen was the GA Gunstore linked above at $910. I'll be $825 with shipping. I had seen guys were snagging them in the $700s from Whitaker last year, but they are currently listed at the typical $998 so I'd be waiting on quite the sale.

Excited to get my hands on it, will update everyone when it arrives. Appreciate the input here.

I walk about a mile from camp to my hunting blind with my rifle which might be about 13pounds fully loaded. I'm also carrying other stuff on me obviously, like binoculars, huge yeti cup with coffee, backpack with a few other things, etc. My rifle is a Howa HCR and is very very good. I would recommend you get a barreled action and get the bravo to go with it. It will be extremely inexpensive but very high quality and really good accuracy.

20171223_093010-1209x1612.jpg
20181004_135150.jpg
20181102_171450.jpg

I feel I made a very educated purchase of the Tikka T3X CTR for about $30 more. Well done, and time to accessorize.

Thanks, sounds like you did well too. How long have you had yours and what accessories have you procured so far?

I'm needing rings for my 4-16x42 scope. Thinking 1" Seekins 34mm
I briefly started looking at bipods, never bought one before, would appreciate any insight on that. Eventually I will swap the chasis to a KRG Bravo, until then, need something I can make work and then swap.

Other than those items, thinking I need to simply start stockpiling ammo. Are there any favorites for plinking and go to spots for purchasing?

I've run it for about half this year. I wanted the Sterk swept bolt handle since I've grown accustomed to it with the AI. I have the Seekins low .82" on a 50mm bell optic and it gives me about a 1/4" space between the optic and barrel. Honestly, that may be a bit too low for me physically. I'd say you're likely on the right path.

I like self timing muzzle devices, and APA or Area 419 have some solid offerings. Trigger spring from Yodave or Elay is a great investment as well.

I like the Harris bipods with some paracord between the legs for faster setup when hunting. I have Atlas bipods as well, but they take a bit more messing with to get setup prior to the shot.

Magazines will be annoying you with how expensive they are for Beretta. I see chassis options out in the PX all the time, and the sooner you get to an AICS pattern floorplate... the faster you'll be annoyed with how much AI mags cost. Just pick a direction and go. The factory stock feels a bit cheap and flexy, but a bit of paint and devcon do wonders.

The Tikkas seem to eat most 6.5CM ammo nicely. I have shot the Hornady American Gunner 140s and the Match eld-x 143s side by side at .5MOA. Just buy a few boxes local, find what works for you, and search online for it cheaper.

I've run it for about half this year. I wanted the Sterk swept bolt handle since I've grown accustomed to it with the AI. I have the Seekins low .82" on a 50mm bell optic and it gives me about a 1/4" space between the optic and barrel. Honestly, that may be a bit too low for me physically. I'd say you're likely on the right path.

I like self timing muzzle devices, and APA or Area 419 have some solid offerings. Trigger spring from Yodave or Elay is a great investment as well.

I like the Harris bipods with some paracord between the legs for faster setup when hunting. I have Atlas bipods as well, but they take a bit more messing with to get setup prior to the shot.

Magazines will be annoying you with how expensive they are for Beretta. I see chassis options out in the PX all the time, and the sooner you get to an AICS pattern floorplate... the faster you'll be annoyed with how much AI mags cost. Just pick a direction and go. The factory stock feels a bit cheap and flexy, but a bit of paint and devcon do wonders.

The Tikkas seem to eat most 6.5CM ammo nicely. I have shot the Hornady American Gunner 140s and the Match eld-x 143s side by side at .5MOA. Just buy a few boxes local, find what works for you, and search online for it cheaper.

Thanks for this info. I had read about the Yodave spring and will try that for sure. I'll definitely be keeping on eye on the PX for chasis options. You're right, eventually need to pick a direction and go for mag and other accessory purchases.

The Harris bipods are what I had seen others recommend. Do you know which you went with specifically and how did you attach? Did you buy a rail section to attach at the swivel stud or does it simply attach tot he stud?

The Harris SBRM 9-13 is a simple direct bipod stud mount, and should work fine for prone and some bench type shooting. Just find the ideal length for the type of shooting you'll do.

Hey Guys, I'm looking to acquire my first bolt rifle. To date I've only messed with the AR platform and have built a few rifles. I don't have any experience with the bolt action platform and want to change that. I'm wanting to start my search and keep an eye out for any deals or marketplace items that come available during the holiday sale season. I'm trying to stay under $1k for the rifle itself. The purpose of the rifle will mainly be target shooting, but would like to have it available for hunting too. I've been lurking here for awhile and have narrowed my search down to the Bergara HMR (24" on sale at Cabelas it seems for $950), Tikka CTR 24", Howa 1500 barreled action with a KRG Bravo stock. The Ruger Precision is interesting too, but I think that may be tough for the hunting and I'm wanting to try something a bit more traditional I think.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the 3 options I listed. I like that KRG stock and realize I could set up a Tikka with one too, but that's getting up above the budget. I'm not opposed to a cheaper option like the Ruger American or a Savage either. If one of those re-stocked is a better option within budget. Let me know your thoughts, appreciate the input
Well, you did not mention your budget but as an example I spent over $2,000 on my Remington 700 upgrades and it shoots way better than me. I also bought a Savage 12FV at Cabell as for $419.00 in 6.5 creedmoor. Only thing I did was put on a Bell and Carlson A5 stock. So, like we used to say in drag racing , speed costs, how fast you want to go?

Congrats on your 6.5 Creedmoor choice Joemannnnn!

I’m personally trying to persuade my husband in the direction of a Noveskie 6.5 creed.
With either a Schmidt & Bender 5-20x50 ultra short II, or a NightForce NXS 3.5x15x50, but not entirely opposed to possibly one of the other new offerings we got the chance to see at the 2018 Shot Show, the former being my preference however. ??

Last edited: