• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor 101

viper42

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2010
U.S,
Guys,

I know I'm a little late to the game, but I'm finally giving in and re-chambering my 308 to 6.5 creed and looking to learn from the vets. I have a Bartlein 1-8/M24/27" blank on order. Also waiting on 147 ELD match bullets. I'm still researching, but I think I'm going to go with IMR4350. I spoke to a Hornady rep and he said the new powder they are really liking is reloaded 16. I was wondering what powders guys are having success with? I'm also debating on lapua brass or not. Has anyone had success with the lapua offering with small rifle primers?

Any my other info or tips with this cartridge would be awesome. Appreciate the feedback before I take the spill.

Sorry, you're going to have to get me caught up on the lingo...what's ttrl? I'm assuming the information is in another thread....

Tag to real later. He's interested in this subject and is marking it to easily find again when more people have responded

TTRL=Tag To Read Later

As far as powders go, you can't go wrong with H4350, as long as you know to stock up whenever you find it. Guys have also had great success with IMR4451 as a substitute for H4350. The other 4350 powders (IMR and AA) are in the same burn rate, as is Reloder 17, but they don't offer the same temperature stability as H4350. Personally, I've switched over to Reloder 16. It's in the same 4350 burn rate, exceptional temp stability, and gives me better velocities. Frankly, I'm tired of H4350 being some unobtainable commodity, so I've developed loads with a few other powders and will continue using them even after the H4350 hoarding has subsided.

If you're waiting on bullets, something you may want to consider is buying some factory ammo and just reload your fired cases. 10 boxes should last a couple range trips. Also, since you're new to the caliber and the rifle it will take another variable out of the equation and you'll get to shooting right away.

As far as load development, the 142 SMKs work well, so do the 130 hybrids, and the lapua 136 OTMs. About 42.8-43.2gr of H4350 with any bullet in the 140 class will work just fine (2.810" COAL).

I like h4350, as do many others, which is part of the reason it's hard to find.

There are several sources of brass now. The lapua is great, you cant go wrong with it. It's more uniform than the hornady, and that will only help things. Alpha apparently has great brass but I have no experience with it. Peterson should be realeasing theirs in the near future.

What barrel lengths/velocities are you guys producing. I'm really curious to see what I can push the 147 eld's to. I'll be running a 26"

I have a 26" factory Desert Tech barrel with a Silencer Tech suppressor and I'm anywhere from 2805 fps with H4350 to 2842 with Reloder 16 and 140 grain bullets. Of course, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

I'd suggest you take a look at the Reloading Depot. Lots of good info and load data. Just remember to start 10% below, work up safely, look for pressure signs, etc

Any of the H4350 area burn rate powders will work. IMR 4350 and 4451, RL17 and 16 and some even use 4831SC.

Any of the H4350 area burn rate powders will work. IMR 4350 and 4451, RL17 and 16 and some even use 4831SC.

This^^^, and I love 4831SC for the heavies. I use the fuck out of IMR4350 because it works for me as well as H4350 and is plentiful.

This^^^, and I love 4831SC for the heavies. I use the fuck out of IMR4350 because it works for me as well as H4350 and is plentiful.

Interesting... How's the temp stability with the SC? Velocities?

Looks like I'm going to have an opportunity to score some federal match primers. Any preferences to running CCI?

I use CCI BR2 primers. I've used the FGM210M primers with great success as well, but they can be as hard to come by as H4350. My SD and ES are better with the BR2, but that's maybe a 1 fps change in SD and maybe 2 or 3 in ES, so both are perfectly acceptable for precision work.

Found them in small rifle, looks like I'm going to have to get Lapua brass. Hate it when that happens!!

Picked up 1000 federal match small rifle primers today. Cha ching...