• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor 2x Fired Hornady Brass - Neck Size vs. Expander vs. Both

Graye2

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2018
Milton, GA
I have a set of 2x fired Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor Brass. It was factory original and I loaded the second firing for load development.

I ran them all through a Redding body die to achieve an average -0.0013 shoulder set back.

I had planned to neck size them and then use a 21st Century expander to get them all to 0.2625 and push the inconsistencies to the outside of the neck (I have not explored neck turning yet). However when I checked them with a precision gauge all of the necks are already smaller than 0.260 so I see no reason to neck size them before using the expander. My plan would be to just run them all through the expander now and reload them. For my first loading with this brass I used a 0.289 neck bushing and achieved 0.003 tension on average but the necks seem smaller now (I checked a 0.293 bushing and it barely touched the necks)... Am I overthinking this or should I just go?

The 100 pieces I loaded and fired this Friday were the first I had ever loaded but the satisfaction in firing your own ammunition and seeing them group was awesome...I'm hooked and many of you already helped me get here with all the information you share. Thanks to all!

The reason your necks seem tight is because the case mouth curled inward due to work hardening. The rest of the neck is bigger and won’t hold a bullet.

Thank you 918v...I didn’t think of that and never checked on my first reload. I’ll neck size them all first before running the expander through.

Just anneal them and neck size until you feel like a full length size is in order. That’s the way I do it.

I would highly recommend a FL sizer with neck bushing die (like a Redding type S sizer die. There are definitely more options than Redding too) and kill two birds with one stone.

I shoulder bump .002 and neck size with my Redding FL Type S bushing die. Then I run the expander mandrel through every time. I used to set neck tension with just the bushing, but was sick of inconsistent seating and I’m not taking the time to turns necks down perfect. So then the only way to ensure the inside diameter of your neck (what your bullet actually touches) is perfect is to use an expander mandrel. I use a .288 bushing in my FL die and a 21st century black nitride turning arbor/mandrel that measures .262 in my Sinclair expander die.

Thank you...I have the Redding competition set so I’ll have to perform the operations separately for now but had the same thought with the mandrel. I bought both the 0.262 and the 0.2625 so I’ll need to experiment on which provides better results. I am loading from a magazine so maybe I’ll go with your recommendation and try the 0.262 to start.

I did notice some seating depth variation in that last 100 loads. CBTO had a SD of 0.0015 but the extreme spread was 0.006 and from what I’ve read these should be 0.001. I’m using Hornady 140 ELD-M bullets and never thought to measure/sort them until I checked the CBTO and it was too late. I’ll be more careful in this second load to minimize both neck tension variance and bullet variation.

Thanks again.

Even with ogive measurements you are still going to have variance. Even if u weight each bullet and measure each on before you load it won’t be the same. Just part of it. You are doing more than most by trying to achieve the most precise measures. Just don’t get to caught up in it. There are to many orher variables like environment, wind, not holding your mouth right, etc. Just start punching holes!!