• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creedmoor a duplication of effort if I have a 308

I was just using the basic load most .308 shooters come into it shooting compared to a basic Creedmoor load. Yes you can hot rod the .308 up with 155s but you can also bump the Creedmoor up some too. I am shooting the 140s at 2930fps with no pressure but didn't want to use that. In MOA my load is:

300- 3.2 E, 1.6 W
600- 11.2 E, 3.4 W
1000- 26.3 E, 6.5 W

And here's my .308/155 load again, so folks can compare without scrolling around:
300 yards E 3.8 W 1.9
600 yards E 12.8 W 4.3
1000 yards E 30.9 W 8.3

Sure, most people do hotrod whatever caliber they shoot, to some extent. I think I was just trying to set up a more realistic comparison. I did hesitate, when I bought my last barrel blank, between .260 and sticking with .308. I plan to shoot more FTR this year, so stuck with .308. Wind spanks me at times.

1911fan

Always amazing to see the incredible velocities people achieve on the snipershide with "no pressure signs".

Interestingly, when I'm picking through the brass pile at matches, I always see lots of brass with big fat ejector marks, smoked primers or blown primers.

Somebody at the grind was shooting a 243AI that was blowing the primer out of almost every piece of brass. (I'm sure he was *well* under the 3150fps speed limit....)

Believe what you want with my velocities but never had a blown primer or even a flat one with it. Every barrel and chamber are different. Some faster than others.

Nothing incredible about it. I'm running pretty much same velocity and dope as rob. No pressure, no ejector, no loose pockets etc.

Nothing incredible about it. I'm running pretty much same velocity and dope as rob. No pressure, no ejector, no loose pockets etc.

2900+ fps from a 140gr bullet from a 6.5 Creedmoor is incredible. No two ways about it.

Not calling either of you liars, just making the point to others perhaps reading this thread, that you ought not expect these speeds. 2800 yes, 2930 no.

It could be the "unlucky" guy with the barrel good for 2825 reads a thread like this, loads up to 2900, and ends up being the one creating the goat-fucked brass we see at matches...

Last edited:
Always amazing to see the incredible velocities people achieve on the snipershide with "no pressure signs".

Interestingly, when I'm picking through the brass pile at matches, I always see lots of brass with big fat ejector marks, smoked primers or blown primers.

Somebody at the grind was shooting a 243AI that was blowing the primer out of almost every piece of brass. (I'm sure he was *well* under the 3150fps speed limit....)

Maybe their brass was wore out prior to the match.? I've super glued primers in before.

2900+ fps from a 140gr bullet from a 6.5 Creedmoor is incredible. No two ways about it.

Not calling either of you liars, just making the point to others perhaps reading this thread, that you ought not expect these speeds. 2800 yes, 2930 no.

It could be the "unlucky" guy with the barrel good for 2825 reads a thread like this, loads up to 2900, and ends up being the one creating the goat-fucked brass we see at matches...

who gives a shit about their brass? maybe they dont either and load it once and leave it? who knows and who cares...if the gun is functioning safely its of no matter to me. my intention when i put my creed together was performance and thats what i got. i dont really care about barrel life and not alot about brass life even though its been good so far.

I guess barrel life on loads at 2930 would have to suffer. Basically getting close to 6.5-284 speeds and those barrels are setback at 800-1000 rds and can go another4-500 rds. Or is incredible speed also come with incredible barrel life?

You can go with a caliber that was designed in 1952 and has been proven in all kinds of conditions but in comparison to what is out there today is lacking in performance.

Costs of barrels, brass, etc. are totally up to your budget. Do you want a Corvette or a 1/2 ton pickup truck? One is probably going to cost you more to run and maintain than the other but may also be funner to drive. :cool:

I have the pickup and went the fun/performance route with my latest builds.

My barrel was at 2200 rounds when I got it set back. Not all those were the 2930 load. Maybe about 800 were.

I keep going back & fourth between the .308 & 6.5cm.The 6.5 intrigues the hell out of me.Iam leaning more towards the .308 due to the availability of the .308. The only ammo I can find for the 6.5cm is hornady. I hope more manufactures start producing the 6.5cm. I plan to start reloading eventually.

As a heads up, right now Hornady 6.5 ammo is lacking. I bought 40 rounds to get a few rounds through my 6.5 barrel, break in the throat a touch, and get a baseline for velocity before starting load development. I shot 5 shot strings and every one had horrible accuracy (1.5-2moa from a bartlein) and had SD's in the 30's-40's.

I think it's going to catch on but right now Hornady is the only game in town. I will say the brass has gotten better. The primer pockets of the batch I recently bought is super tight and even the ones from very hot test loads remain very tight.

I keep going back & fourth between the .308 & 6.5cm.The 6.5 intrigues the hell out of me.Iam leaning more towards the .308 due to the availability of the .308. The only ammo I can find for the 6.5cm is hornady. I hope more manufactures start producing the 6.5cm. I plan to start reloading eventually.

If I didn't reload then I would go with 308 but realized a long time ago how much I was missing out by not making my own ammo.