• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5 Creedmoor Average Velocity?

CATM15

You coming to the BBQ?
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2018
Just looking to see what everyone else is pushing for velocity on Hornady 143 ELDX out of a 24” barrel. I have found a great load that I have used for 3 years now. I don’t have a lot of time for load development so when I found a very good load I kept with it.

Hornady Brass
143 ELDX
39.5 gr H4350
CCI BR LR primer
Coal 2.82
Velocity ave. 2600fps
SD 9
5 Shot grouping .39moa (if i do my part)

I shoot local PRS matches and I do well but they only go out to 1k or just over. I’m not disappointed in the load I’m just wondering if I’m missing out on anything with the muzzle velocity I’m at.

I'm pushing 142 SMKs at just over 2800.

The Berger 140s I was averaging 2843.

I would say you are definitely on a slower node, but if it's accurate, I would stick with it.

How many targets are at over 1k yards in a match? Are you losing that many points?

There’s probably only one or two stages that have targets over 1000 in my hit average is 60% give or take. I like the load and it does everything I want I just didn’t know if it’s beneficial for me to shoot a 65 Creedmoor when it’s going so slow. I guess my real question is am I getting the full potential of this round at such a slow speed?

Damn, I must have a slow barrel on my AX or you guys have 24" of actual rifling vs my 24" threaded end to threaded end because I'm at 2765 avg with a 140 hybrid.

Another thing is that my reloading manual only states max load and velocity Are pretty close to where I’m loading now. I might have an older reloading manual I’m at work so I’ll have to check later. Is there anyway someone could post a picture of the most recent 6.5 load data in a Hornady manual

Another thing is that my reloading manual only states max load and velocity Are pretty close to where I’m loading now. I might have an older reloading manual I’m at work so I’ll have to check later. Is there anyway someone could post a picture of the most recent 6.5 load data in a Hornady manual

Hornady is rediculously conservative on the top end fyi

Reactions: Spblademaker
I think I’ll do Some more load testing for speed when I get the new barrel put on in a few months. I don’t want to get a load ready then have my barrel take a sh!t

2840 with 140s around the same SD in a 24" barrel. Smallest group so far was .24MOA at 200 yards.

Last edited:
Reactions: CATM15
Hornady is rediculously conservative on the top end fyi
2nd that, I've had 3 Hornady manuals over the years and all stop short. The only issue I've had that goes against that is recent 135 A Tip data. I'm getting much faster speeds than listed.

Thanks for the replies. I’ll certainly work up new loads in the higher range when I get a chance. I want to be able to beat the wind a little better and dial less. Might change to a 6mm creedmoor when I do the rebarrel..

41.0 H4350 = 2750 with the 147's and 24" bbl - superb accuracy and easy on my barrel. I won't compromise accuracy for speed once I get 2700+ with 140's+ in a 24" 6.5 CM. 2600 is a little slow but if it's hammering it won't hurt enough to tell much inside a 1000. Imho.

Reactions: Sig Marine
-140s with 42gr H4350 in a 28” tube gets me 2785.
-143s with 42.5gr H4350 in 22” tube gets me 2705. Both with Hornady brass.

Perhaps my Caldwell chronograph reads a bit slow but I feel like these numbers are pretty accurate.

-140s with 42gr H4350 in a 28” tube gets me 2785.
-143s with 42.5gr H4350 in 22” tube gets me 2705. Both with Hornady brass.

Perhaps my Caldwell chronograph reads a bit slow but I feel like these numbers are pretty accurate.
Wow! Looks like 24"-26" barrels really is the sweet spot for velocity with the 140s. You're about 80-100 fps slower in that 28" for the same powder and bullet weights.
Next time you see someone else with a chronograph, you should ask to compare.

Wow! Looks like 24"-26" barrels really is the sweet spot for velocity with the 140s. You're about 80-100 fps slower in that 28" for the same powder and bullet weights.
Next time you see someone else with a chronograph, you should ask to compare.

I was absolutely crushed when I saw those velocities but it shot such tiny groups I couldn’t argue with it. I was able to get up to 2950fps with H4381sc but ran into so pretty wild ES so I aborted that experiment without tinkering too much.

Reactions: Tokay444
Not 143 grain but I am getting 2699 avg with 41.6 H4350 /140 ELDMs out of my Bergara HMR (22"). My SD numbers are running about 5 or so with this load. This is measured with my Magnetospeed V3. Since my range only goes to 300 yards and it shoots so well, I see no reason to change it for now.

Well I’m bummed out! 2740 out of a 26” with 42.8gr H4350 behind a 140 ELD-M.
Let me just say that 2750-ish with 143s is a decent medium speed load that will help your barrel last a bit longer than pushing them at 2800+. Accuracy and consistency trumps raw speed in my opinion. Does that extra .1 or .2 mil hold keep you from hitting your target?

Reactions: Sig Marine
Well I’m bummed out! 2740 out of a 26” with 42.8gr H4350 behind a 140 ELD-M.

If it shoots well I’d be totally happy with that.

My mild short range 260 load kicks 140’s out at 2690-2700 and is a pleasure to shoot and does just fine out to 1000 yards.

Reactions: lash
It’s not the lack of speed as such it’s the amount of powder up it’s butt for the speed I’m getting. I’d be very happy with 2740 if I was using 41.8gr not 42.8gr. It shoots good with 1/2 to 3/4 moa most of the time.

I'm shooting S&B FMJBT 140gr. I was able to buy it in bulk and it shoots very accurate and consistent. but I'am only getting 2434fps this seams much slower than what anyone else is shooting. I'm keeping in mind I live in canada air temp 0C. ammo temp 0C. dose this seem right?

I'm shooting S&B FMJBT 140gr. I was able to buy it in bulk and it shoots very accurate and consistent. but I'am only getting 2434fps this seams much slower than what anyone else is shooting. I'm keeping in mind I live in canada air temp 0C. ammo temp 0C. dose this seem right?
What barrel length?

Midway's pricing was $14.99 a box. I guess at that price the MFG has to cut corners and they decided to drop less powder.

But in all reality, have you tried a different chrono?

They advertise 2660, likely in a 24” barrel, and in 20° temps. All things considered, you’re doing ok for $20 ammo.

2765 with 140 VLD hybrid, 40.5 grains of reloader 16, cci450, lapua brass, 2.8" oal. 26" barrel

My 24” bartlein was getting 2740 avg with factory 147 eldm and 2773 avg with 140 eldm