• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor barrels

JaFlo

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2014
I'm building a 6.5 creedmoor large pattern AR for long range target shooting (1000yds). I'm using Mega MATEN receivers, so the barrel extension must be designed for DPMS .308 platforms from what I understand. I'm having some difficulty finding barrels chambered in 6.5 creedmoor.

I've found that DPMS makes a flutted heavy barrel in this caliber, but I'm unsure of the quality as I have no experience with them and the price is very low. My budget for the barrel is around $600. I'm trying to avoid having a custom barrel made because I'd like to have this thing built sometime this year. Is there any other "drop in" barrels in this caliber?

I would check with Satern barrels or with Precision Firearms and see what they can do .PF does Bartlien , Krieger and i believe Lilja.

JP makes a drop in the link to it is at the bottom. Also the extensions are the same between Armalite and DPMS.

JP makes bolts that are DPMS pattern here is what they say about this..

With the Armalite/Rock River family of large-frame receivers, this assembly can only be used as a complete bolt carrier assembly group. Interchanging individual components will result in an unsafe configuration. DO NOT under any circumstances mix and match components between the platforms. Only use the complete JP bolt carrier assembly in the Armalite/Rock River platforms.

JP Rifles

Fulton armory has kreiger's in stock for $500 and change. Just so you know Mega receivers will accept armalite or dpms pattern barrels, you just need to make sure you use the same bolt and carrier.

Fulton armory has kreiger's in stock for $500 and change. Just so you know Mega receivers will accept armalite or dpms pattern barrels, you just need to make sure you use the same bolt and carrier.

^^ THIS!! ^^

The Fulton Armory Titan/Krieger 6.5CM barrels are absolute hammers (as is the case with any Krieger by in large)!! They are in stock now in both plain SS and bead-blasted matte SS starting at $599. See here: Barrel, 26", .308 AR, 6.5 Creedmoor, Bull, 1x8, Stainless, Plain, Krieger

Good luck with your build!

That krieger from Fulton armory is exactly what I'm looking for! I'd prefer it be fluted to cut down on weight a little, but I can always have that done later. I looked at the JP barrel, but it's only .750 under the hand guard. Doesn't seem like a good profile for a target rifle.

If the Mega can take DPMS or Armalite barrels, is it just the nut that is specific to the DPMS platform? Also, do I need a bolt specific to the 6.5 CM or will any .308 bolt work? I want to use the JP LMOS bolt and carrier if possible. Sorry if these are noobish questions, but this is my first AR-10 type build and I want to get it right.

That krieger from Fulton armory is exactly what I'm looking for! I'd prefer it be fluted to cut down on weight a little, but I can always have that done later. I looked at the JP barrel, but it's only .750 under the hand guard. Doesn't seem like a good profile for a target rifle.

If the Mega can take DPMS or Armalite barrels, is it just the nut that is specific to the DPMS platform? Also, do I need a bolt specific to the 6.5 CM or will any .308 bolt work? I want to use the JP LMOS bolt and carrier if possible. Sorry if these are noobish questions, but this is my first AR-10 type build and I want to get it right.

The JP barrels are proven performers in terms of their longevity, reliability and accuracy...doubt that not! If you want a heavier/larger contour though...you'll have to look elsewhere as the medium-weight profile of the JPs is as large as they make.

As to the DPMS/Armalite compatibility...you just have to keep them together and NO mixing/matching parts. If you opt for either the Krieger/Fulton barrel or a JP, both are DPMS-pattern and thus, you will need to use a DPMS carrier and bolt. Any DPMS-pattern bolt/BCG will also work on your 6.5CM build...they are the same bolt. Just be sure that you check the headspace (should be fine, but CHECK IT ANYWAY) if you don't buy a matched barrel/bolt combo (like the JP barrel/bolt combo for example). The JP Enhanced bolts and LMOS are very nice...pricey...but nice!

As for handguard compatibility, any handguard with a barrel nut designed to fit DPMS-pattern uppers will work. You'll need to make sure that any handguard you order is for the DPMS "High" pattern in order to keep the receiver rail and handguard rail at basically the same height...the lower DPMS rail won't work out too well.

I have a 6.5CM coming tomorrow with 22" Krieger and 30BA Brake built by Dave Lauck "DL Sports". Will post picks and hopefully range report this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk