• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5 Creedmoor Bolt Gun. Which one?

metalfarm

Private
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2017
I'd like to take it long distance with the option to take it hunting.

Ruger Precision
Tikka Tac A1
Bergara LRP
Build one?
Something I've never heard of?

Suggestions??

Reactions: VAyoungGunner
The Tac A1 is awesome but it is heavy. I have one and love the way it shoots. It loves the cheap Hornady American Gunner ammo you can get in bulk for $139/200 rounds at Sportsmans Warehouse. But I also just got my hands on a 300NM Christensen MPR and that thing is light. If your hunting is from a blind or stationary location the TAC will be OK. You just won't want to hike with it.

Ruger Precision
Tikka Tac A1
Bergara LRP
Build one?

Suggestions??
I would highly recommend the tikka, but buy the CTR and drop it in a KRG Bravo Chassis.

You do not want to get caught up in the propriety magazines of the TAC A1.

Build one. I did last Fall and I'm thrilled....buy a decent action/barrel and go from there according to yer budget. *lots* of very good stuff out there now - handle a few and then build on what yer preferences and budget allow. Ask a lot of questions here...lots of smart folks.

VooDoo

Build one. I did last Fall and I'm thrilled....buy a decent action/barrel and go from there according to yer budget. *lots* of very good stuff out there now - handle a few and then build on what yer preferences and budget allow. Ask a lot of questions here...lots of smart folks.

VooDoo

I’ve built several ARs but have no idea where to start with a bolt gun is there a YouTube you suggest? There are 5 dudes in the family that own RPR and I’m the only one that does not. Mostly because it’s so damn heavy. What part do I buy first??

I’ve built several ARs but have no idea where to start with a bolt gun is there a YouTube you suggest? There are 5 dudes in the family that own RPR and I’m the only one that does not. Mostly because it’s so damn heavy. What part do I buy first??

I'd shop for an action and start researching stocks/chassis.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
RPR...

Or...Get a Sig SSG 3000 with a McMillian stock... maybe $1000.00... and call Benchmark and get a 26inch fluted barrel for $850. Tac driver... ...and you can interchange barrels whenever you like.

I would highly recommend the tikka, but buy the CTR and drop it in a KRG Bravo Chassis.

You do not want to get caught up in the propriety magazines of the TAC A1.
What’s wrong with the mags? The CTR comes with one. Buy one or maybe two more and be done. They load easier, feed better, and are more compact than AI mags. I have a a few TIKKa mags and a few AI mags. My Tikka rifles will always use Tikka mags.

@metalfarm , buy one of the rifles you mentioned for the range. Pick up a Remington 700 adl for $400 and a Leupold 3-9 and go hunting.

What’s wrong with the mags? The CTR comes with one. Buy one or maybe two more and be done. They load easier, feed better, and are more compact than AI mags. I have a a few TIKKa mags and a few AI mags. My Tikka rifles will always use Tikka mags.
Nothing at all wrong with them. They are very nice. However, they can be expensive, they are not cross compatible with AICS or AW mags. Why invest in a separate magazine system. If this is your only rifle the above are not an issue.

Nothing at all wrong with them. They are very nice. However, they can be expensive, they are not cross compatible with AICS or AW mags. Why invest in a separate magazine system. If this is your only rifle the above are not an issue.
They are no more expensive than AI mags. They were more expensive a year ago. I have different mags for my aks, my 10/22s, my 510, my glocks, my m&ps, my Tikkas, my AI compatible guns, etc.
See where I’m going with this.

Out of your posted options for rack rifles I’d go with the LRP. Not very heavy, but accurate.

If you were to build, a Bighorn Origin and a quality tube from any reputable maker paired with a good stock/chassis and you’d have a great rifle.

Out of your posted options for rack rifles I’d go with the LRP. Not very heavy, but accurate.

If you were to build, a Bighorn Origin and a quality tube from any reputable maker paired with a good stock/chassis and you’d have a great rifle.

Another option along that same frame of thought is the Kelblys Atlas Tac action, just send a barrel to them for machining and chambering no need to send the action since they hold the headspace dimensions to .001" on the actions.
Great people to deal with and have a long proven track record and support in many of the shooting sports.
Those are just a few of the reasons I went with an ATLAS action.

Reactions: VAyoungGunner

Ruger Precision
Tikka Tac A1
Bergara LRP
Build one?

Suggestions??
not to steal the thread but what’s a good action for $500/less I’m interested in building... a hawkhill custom barrel is $369, bravo chassis $350, have scope and rings

Last edited:
I'd say build one unless budget is the main concern. You can get a Bergara, RPR, or Savage for around $1000 for the whole gun. Building one will start around $2000 and go up depending on what parts you pick. But, even if you keep it down around $2k, you will have a very nice rifle that will handle and shoot very well.
There are several great actions available now for around $800 to $1000. This wasn't the case a few years ago... used to have to spend a lot more for a custom action.
After researching them all out, I ended up going with a Nucleus action from American Rifle Company (ARC). It was just released a year ago and is a very nice action for the price. PM me if you want more details.

Start your custom rifle build by picking the action. Highly recommend a Remington 700 clone (ie: Nucleus, etc) in a short action. This will give you the most options for your other parts (stock/chassis, trigger, etc).
Also recommend the action you pick is threaded for Savage small shank threads. (Nucleus, Origin, and others are) This will allow you to buy readily available Savage style pre-fit barrels. (Search for internet videos on headspacing a Savage style barrel with barrel nut).
If you have put together an AR, then you will have no problem putting together a bolt action custom.
Lots of help here if you decide to go the custom route!

They are no more expensive than AI mags. They were more expensive a year ago. I have different mags for my aks, my 10/22s, my 510, my glocks, my m&ps, my Tikkas, my AI compatible guns, etc.
See where I’m going

I do see where you are going... totally past my point.

I do see where you are going... totally past my point.
Lol. I know I did. I did it to show that magazine commonality means very little.

I am not discounting what you said by any means. Your point is as valid as mine. We just have different views and neither is wrong. I was just showing that any guy wiith multiple firearms shouldn’t worry about magazine commonality or at least it should be the very last thing to consider. If he did then he wouldn’t have very much of anything. There are a few rifles that take glock mags so there is that. Lol

I have quite a few mags for my pistols. I have a whole bunch for my carbines. I have just a few for my bolt guns as there really isn’t much sense in having more than a handful. If $120-$200 worth of magazines is a deal breaker then you probably shouldn’t buy the rifle because you can’t afford to feed it anyhow.