• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor - Build one in a day - Quickly and reasonably

jb1000br

Jason@EuroOptic
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2001
On my Belly
Since the 6.5 Creed is taking over the world, many new shooters are starting with a 6.5 instead of stumbling down the 308 road first (though stumbling down that road first definitely teaches you a few things, why not skip ahead a bit!). For those of you that may not want to spend as much as a decent used car, or maybe are not 100% happy with what you are finding, there are some new options available.

You simply take one of these:

6.5 Creedmoor Barreled Action from Remington Defense - 22" threaded and capped

And drop it into your choice of these:

GRS Riflestocks

KRG Chassis

CADEX Chassis

Accuracy International AT Chassis

Accuracy International AX Chassis

Doing this can get you up and running pretty quickly! Planning to throw one of these 6.5 creed barreled actions in a GRS myself to see how it fares. These barreled actions have just arrived, so please share pics and results if you put something together!

Jason

Last edited:
For $699 you can get a donor action and a Criterion RemAge prefit barrel that is immensely better quality than any factory Remington barrel that I have ever seen.

If I were to build one quick I't start with a trued Remington Action from PT&G. Add to it a Criterion "Remage" barrel in 6.5 CM. a Timney trigger and my choice of Chassis, an MDT Tac-21 with PRS and MIAD from Magpul. Most time consuming part of that "build" will be headspacing the barrel.

Add cerakote to that price tag... Because SPS's rust! Mine did. I would rather have a Howa barreled action, if I am going factory. 24-26" barrel, and plenty of stock/ chassis options and $200 cheaper.

If I were to build one quick I't start with a trued Remington Action from PT&G. Add to it a Criterion "Remage" barrel in 6.5 CM. a Timney trigger and my choice of Chassis, an MDT Tac-21 with PRS and MIAD from Magpul. Most time consuming part of that "build" will be headspacing the barrel.

I like this...but on their site they say need competent smith to do the bolt stop. I will keep this in mind for a future build.

$700 for a SPS barreled action? No thanks.

Would rather spend and extra $100 and go to a Tikka CTR. And have a rifle that's actually built right.

what I did is buy a savage model 11 trophy predator hunter 6.5cm with a Nikon scope on it for 500$. Sold the scope for 150$ bought a used B&C m40 for 100$. So 450$ for the rifle plus glass (Burris XTRii for me) and it's more accurate than I can shoot it. I went this route 3 years ago to start out. Now I'm moving on but an option for a newer shooter getting into non the less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That really depends upon what you call quick. PTG will take 8-12 weeks to get your action to you. Ask me how I know...

Last edited:
I'd say look at a CTR from Warpig on here or Whitaker guns. I think they go for just north of $800. Dump it in the stock or chassis of your choosing.

I went the criterion route myself. I went the long way around by buying a crappy sps then rebarreling it. One thing to keep in mind is that the receiver threading has to be the standard Remington threading. So you can't true the threads. However you can true the face of the receiver. Cost 35 with my local Smith. Then use the NSS action wrench with the criterion recoil lug so you don't have to pin it. Then a set of go/no go gauges. It was really simple to install. My stock barrel was crap anyway (best it shot was 1 moa) so I removed it with the action wrench and pipe wrench. Entire install took 35 mins from start to finish. Then set it in a krg xray.

Overall I am pleased with the results and have another donor action I am going to outfit with a 223 barrel.

Geez, the guy's just offering another option for shooters looking for a 6.5 creed, no need to crap in the thread. Don't like them? Don't buy one! Simple as that.

For the record, no you cannot put together a remage for the same money, it would be a couple hundred more just for the parts to get equal specs (mainly threaded muzzle and TP). Then you have to have or buy the tools to do it, and you have an ugly barrel nut. I'd say you're saving a solid $400 minimum over the actual difference in cost and tools. When it's shot out, sell the action for $350 and buy another one to drop in and shoot or send it off for a high quality aftermarket tube and truing.

For the shooters wanting to put together a good shooting rifle quickly and easily this is a great option. Drop it in a chassis of your choice, add a bolt knobb (KRG to make things quick and painless), and your optic and you're shooting. Heck I bet if you asked nicely that Jason would even torque it in the chassis for you. I've never met a Remington that didn't shoot. Rust? It's chrome moly steel, use some oil like you're supposed to (even on stainless).

If a remage is what you want, then buy one, no need to crap in a vendors thread who supports the community by voicing your opinion about why you believe your option is better than the product they're offering.

Moving on!

For $699 you can get a donor action and a Criterion RemAge prefit barrel that is immensely better quality than any factory Remington barrel that I have ever seen.

Dirty D, as redneckbmxer already noted, your $699 figure isn't remotely close to the real figure it's going to run.

While q/c at Ilion is a crapshoot to put it mildly, Remington can make a damn good barrel, unfortunately it's not the norm but the exception! As Jason's title says, it's a quick and fairly inexpensive way to hit the ground running without the time and expense most builds require. If Remington does this right, (meaning like they used to before q/c went the way of the Dinosaur) it's a step in the right direction towards rebuilding trust.

Fwiw, I know of a few guys shooting stock SPS Rems in .308 and they have little to give up to the customs except a huge cost difference. I wouldn't hesitate to get one had I the need and short on cash.

Geez, the guy's just offering another option for shooters looking for a 6.5 creed, no need to crap in the thread. Don't like them? Don't buy one! Simple as that.

For the record, no you cannot put together a remage for the same money, it would be a couple hundred more just for the parts to get equal specs (mainly threaded muzzle and TP). Then you have to have or buy the tools to do it, and you have an ugly barrel nut. I'd say you're saving a solid $400 minimum over the actual difference in cost and tools. When it's shot out, sell the action for $350 and buy another one to drop in and shoot or send it off for a high quality aftermarket tube and truing.

For the shooters wanting to put together a good shooting rifle quickly and easily this is a great option. Drop it in a chassis of your choice, add a bolt knobb (KRG to make things quick and painless), and your optic and you're shooting. Heck I bet if you asked nicely that Jason would even torque it in the chassis for you. I've never met a Remington that didn't shoot. Rust? It's chrome moly steel, use some oil like you're supposed to (even on stainless).

If a remage is what you want, then buy one, no need to crap in a vendors thread who supports the community by voicing your opinion about why you believe your option is better than the product they're offering.

Moving on!

Remage route
S/A receiver $354 from cheaper than dirt.
Criterion stainless match $300
Barrel Nut $28
precision ground recoil lug $27 (not needed but a good upgrade)
KRG Xray $549.00

total $1258
as for threaded muzzle you can add $75 at NSS or cheaper if you know a shop that does that.

tools needed
NSS action wrench $75 with taper lock recoil lug system
Barrel Nut wrench $18
go/no go gauges $60
Total $153

total for all items needed is $1411

The route above
For the barreled action $699.00
KRG Xray $549
total $1248

What are the pros and cons? For me the criterion is a better barrel over factory. For $200 more you are getting a match grade barrel. Also the ability to change barrels easily in the future is a good option. However the barrel nut is ugly, but I think with the criterion system the pros outweigh the cons.

The setup posted is also a great setup for someone that that just wants to put it in a chassis and go. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not a match grade setup and quality with Remington is hit and miss. My factory varmint sps would group 1" with match grade ammo. A bore scope revealed that rifling was not cut in about 4 inches of the barrel. That's a big deal to be. Plus this setup only comes with a 22 inch barrel. Some, like myself may prefer a longer barrel, or different profile.

I like the setup above, and it is a great low cost way to get into a long range setup.

Not knocking the vendor at all, they should sell them as a package where you can pick your stock.

However this section of the site is for discussion of bolt action rifles.

Last edited:
"My factory varmint sps would group 1" with match grade ammo. A bore scope revealed that rifling was not cut in about 4 inches of the barrel."

Rifling not cut for four inches of barrel and it still shot 1" groups? Did you see this or is this what someone told you?

Dirty D, as redneckbmxer already noted, your $699 figure isn't remotely close to the real figure it's going to run.

While q/c at Ilion is a crapshoot to put it mildly, Remington can make a damn good barrel, unfortunately it's not the norm but the exception! As Jason's title says, it's a quick and fairly inexpensive way to hit the ground running without the time and expense most builds require. If Remington does this right, (meaning like they used to before q/c went the way of the Dinosaur) it's a step in the right direction towards rebuilding trust.

Yeah, I get that but in my line of thinking I am more than willing to pay a small difference to have a known quantity in the Criterion barrel vs. anything coming out of Ilion, NY.

"My factory varmint sps would group 1" with match grade ammo. A bore scope revealed that rifling was not cut in about 4 inches of the barrel."

Rifling not cut for four inches of barrel and it still shot 1" groups? Did you see this or is this what someone told you?

No, I saw this myself. I could be exaggerating the 4" but rifliing was missing in the middle of the barrel.

No, I saw this myself. I could be exaggerating the 4" but rifliing was missing in the middle of the barrel.

This is not unheard of in the history of accurate barrels. I know that someone here has posted more than once about a rifle that won matches where there was a bulge in the center of the barrel/bore, but it shot very sub-moa despite that.

This is not unheard of in the history of accurate barrels. I know that someone here has posted more than once about a rifle that won matches where there was a bulge in the center of the barrel/bore, but it shot very sub-moa despite that.

Yeah, I had a buddy that had a proof research barrel that was void of rifling in a few inches and it was a sub MOA barrel. Of course after finding out he replaced the barrel, but he won several matches with it.

I traded for a Milspec Remington 308 little over a yr ago just to learn on. After having it and doing some research I discovered that my primary extraction was non existent. So I had LRI fix it. After that I start to look at other Remingtons on shelfs or at gun shows and have yet to find a single "RR" serial number receiver that isn't F-ed. That reason alone tells me that their QC department has gone tits up.
Just my .02 and I don't claim to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but if I were trying to get into long range/precision shooting the last place I would look would be a factory Remington barreled action.. Don't get me wrong my shoots well but I've put enough money it now that I could have had a Stiller Criterion Remage or Tikka in a chassis. Not to over shadow the OP, but if I were doing over again on the cheap ($12-1300) I think Howa bbl action, Ruger RPR, Bergara and even Savage to some extent are better options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk