• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor Bullet Advise

biggin69

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2003
New Mexico
Im in the final stages of completing an AR-10 build constructed specifically for the 6.5 Creedmoor. Along with the new rifle, I will be handloading the ammunition for this gun. From my research (alot here on SH), I have narrowed my bullet selection down to the following:

Hornady 123 gr SST
Hornady 129 gr SST
Berger 130 VLD (assuming they become available)

Does anyone have any other suggestion? Is there a particular bullet that you like the most for a gas gun? A majority of the posts I have read seem to discourage the 140 gr bullets in gas guns.

Thank you for your input!

Tag - sorry no input but in the same boat as you for information.

Im no expert but have been using 140 a max . I leave the lighter bullets for the Grendel .

You need to let folks know what twist rate you are using. The LMT barrels 260/6.5CM only come in 1/9 so that is why you see a lot of posts with the 120/123gr bullets. Also, semiauto Pmags have a shorter OAL for your loaded rounds than the AI mags for the bolt guns. This will push the longer 140's down past the shoulder and eat up your case capacity.

I just picked up an LMT 6.5 Creedmoor barrel and plan to use 123 Lapua Scenars with Varget. I put a ladder test of 50 together last night and found that a COAL of 2.747ish keeps them above the shoulder and happily inside the Pmag.

By the way, the 120 A-Max is even a bit shorter than the 123 Scenar so you can seat it to the same length and have room for a bit more powder as well.

120's to 600 and 140's past that, as long as you have an 1/8 twist barrel. No need to worry so much about the bullet weight, if they are of good quality, they will shoot, it is a 6.5 after all
Cheers

I have recently had good luck with the Hornady 123 A-max. Good price and great BC. Have fun.

Paul

Im running a bolt gun with a 20in 1:8twist barrel using the 130 vld and am happy with the results.