• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6.5 Creedmoor bullet for Prarie Dogs?

KevinU

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2009
Colorado
Barrel is a Kreiger 26" 1-8 twist, suggestions for the lightest bullet. Thinking about trying some Sierra 107 HPBT Matchkings with Varget?

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor bullet for Prarie Dogs?

I'd go with the 95 grain VMAX if you're not shooting long range.

107 SMKs @ 3100ish fps from 243AI were very unimpressive on prairie dogs. Killed them but acted like an FMJ. I'd expect the 107s in 6.5mm to behave about the same.

95 V-max, 100 Nosler BT, 100 Berger Match BT, or 120/123 A-max.

I've gotten sub moa out to 600 (as far as I've had chance to test) with 95 V-max from 6.5 Grendel running 2950 fps. I'm sure you can push them a bit faster via 6.5CM.

120 amax send them in the air nicely, I was suprised considering how slow the factory loading is.

seven mm - If you like the 120's and reload give the 123's a try, they're substantially higher in BC for the same bullet weight.

You can get 95 Vmax ripping along well from the case, well in excess of 3000. They blow up around 3400 with a 1:8.5 twist.

Picked up a box of 123 AMAX's and a box 95 Vmax. I'll load them up this weekend.

Will be my 1st time shooting at little live targets, looking forward to it.

I popped a g'hog with a 140 Amax yesterday from the 6.5-06. I think you'll be much happier with the 95's or 123's. It made the red mist for sure, but it was not particularly noteworthy.

Bohem, have you shot the 95 vmax out of your 6.5-06? If so, what twist barrel?

Loaded up the 95 vmax with Varget, should be fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bohem, have you shot the 95 vmax out of your 6.5-06? If so, what twist barrel?

Loaded up the 95 vmax with Varget, should be fun.
</div></div>

Let us know how it goes!

I haven't shot the 95's from my 6.5-06. The rifle has an 8 twist barrel and a very short barrel life already. I don't see a need to shoot the 95's from it and waste barrel life because my 8.5tw 260 will blow them up around 3400 fps, I'll get less velocity from the -06 case because of the 16.6% faster twist rate.

Kevin, I recently took a 6.5x47 to South Dakota for Prarie Dogin and long range shooting, The V maxes are devistating on dogs, and I was surprised at the range too. They can hold up at some distance I had 2 kills @ 397 and 1 @ 440 all were 1 shot kills not several rounds a piece 3 shots all back too back, I was very happy I took my 6.5 along and If you bring some matchkings or secnars along you can really get out there.