• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creedmoor bullet seating

dzander

Grandpa Dave
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2018
Ohio
I found that my bullet seating die was messing up the tip (Meplat) of Berger 140 Hybrid target bullets I'm reloading. Have been loading Hornady 130 eld-m. Didn't have this issue.
There is an insert in the die that was drilled but not deep enough and was crunching the tip just a little bit.
The insert that contacts the bullet doesn't look like its a real precision made piece either.
It's a Hornady seating Die. Where the insert contacts the bullet is closer to the tip, nowhere near the Ogive of the bullet.
Since you measure to the Ogive of the bullet to set OAL. would it make sense to contact the ogive with the seating the Bullet also?
Does anyone make a seating the contacts the bullet this way?
Thoughts?

What are you guys using for seating dies?

I use a Redding seating die using Sierra 130gr match (green tips) and haven't had any issues with a seating of .215 at the ogive.

I also use a Redding Competition die. It works well with all bullets so far. Loaded some 147 Hornady ELD match bullets this morning with no issues. They offer a special seating stem for VLD bullets, which I got, but have not needed yet.