• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing 6.5 creedmoor chamber issues

dntworry

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2018
OR
I have an issue with my newly chambered 6.5 creedmoor just wanting to see what others have to say about it. I get a really heavy last little bit of the bolt closing when trying to seat just a factory 147ELDM. It seems like it is pushing it into the lands and it is extremely hard to get the round back out.
Here is me using the hornady OAL tool with a 147ELDM

Attachments

• A98F3D70-EA5D-4DC8-A217-EBCDBBC7179F.jpeg
    A98F3D70-EA5D-4DC8-A217-EBCDBBC7179F.jpeg
    398.1 KB · Views: 142
It seems crazy to me to be that far off. Is this something I am missing here?

It looks like the bullet was pushed into the case. What is the length of an un-chambered (new) cartridge?

If you operate the bolt without a cartridge do you feel any resistance?

No resistance when empty. The length of a new hornady 147eld match was ~2.806

Action is T3X with a Bartelin barrel if that matters

If an empty case chambers with no issue then it seems that there is little or no throat.
Who cut the chamber.

Make sure there is no debris in the chamber.

I did not check with an empty case only without anything in the action. I will try that.

I have measured with a comparator it does not really matter when the problem I am reporting is that I have to seat it further in than factory in order to get it to not touch the lands. (Or at least that’s what it seems like)

True. More I think about it a 6.5 Creed case wouldn't fit in a 6 creed chamber at all so that would be the end of it right there.

Looks to have no throat. I'm gonna change my answer to a roughing reamer.

ETA: May also be a "Berger" specific reamer, or short free-bore reamer that deviates from SAAMI. PTG for a long time (still maybe?) sold a "Berger" and "Hornady" (AKA SAAMI) reamer. Only difference was freebore length so you could seat the Berger 140 VLD at mag length and be closer to the lands. The Berger reamer wouldn't run factory ammo worth a damn though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6brshooter
ETA: May also be a "Berger" specific reamer, or short free-bore reamer that deviates from SAAMI. PTG for a long time (still maybe?) sold a "Berger" and "Hornady" (AKA SAAMI) reamer. Only difference was freebore length so you could seat the Berger 140 VLD at mag length and be closer to the lands. The Berger reamer wouldn't run factory ammo worth a damn though.

Hmm if that was the case is it fixable with a different tool he would have already or would he have to get a new reamer altogether?

If he's got an appropriate sized throating reamer then he could push the existing throat forward. In my mind it would make sense to have a SAAMI spec 6.5 cm reamer in inventory anyway, though.

For those of you with match chambers about how much jump are you seeing from factory 147ELDM?

The factory ELD loads should have a significant amount of jump with a standard 6.5CM chamber and throat. I don't shoot the 147, but have tried and taken the measurements. If I remember correctly, it should be close to .100" of jump if factory measures around 2.80" OAL. Shouldn't be anywhere near the lands

Reactions: aljones_315
I think loaded to a COAL of ~2.845 I had .025 jump with a SAAMI chamber. So figure at 2.80 it's probably .050-.060. The relatively tight and long freebore of the creedmoors does a lot to eliminate the necessity of being close to the lands.

Short freebore reamer. I'm not sure why it exists for a 6.5creed. Sure, on a 6creed that's set up for varmint light bullets. I bought a used rifle on here with 2 6.5creed barrels. Both had freebore that were .100 shorter than my other 6.5creeds, tooley ai, proof ai, and a few other customs. I talked to original smith of said rifle, he said it sounded like his reamer for berger hybrids. It shot fine, but bullets were jammed in the case more than I liked. I had my local smith, that builds br rifles, punch out the throat .100". Now I dont have to wear out threads on bullet seater stem when I reload between my 6.5creed rifles.

It was a SAMMI reamer, regular 199ish freebore. Turns out it literally was as stupid as just having something in the chamber, cleaned everything out, fired a few rounds, and all is good now. 2.910 OAL for 140 Hybrid to touch lands. Shot 2 different 5 shot 0.3MOA groups with the Berger loaded 140 ammo, using it to get 200 pieces of lapua brass to break in the barrel and have to reload with.

Reactions: SD Carpenter