• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 6.5 Creedmoor for hunting

wapiti16b

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2014
New Mexico
I would appreciate your experiences using 6.5CM for hunting , specifically for Mule Deer .
Please list barrel length used , bullet weight and manufacture , powder , primer & brass for those that reload and the MV/FPS if you will please .
Thanks !

Have only shot 1 animal with a Creed and it was an antelope at 347yds with the Hornady 143gr ELD-X Factory load. I have however shot tonnes of other animals with various .260 Rems and 6.5 Swedes. Anywhere from 20 to about 500. I shot a bull elk at 265 with a 120gr TSX that has a muzzle velocity of 2700fps. It was with my sons .260 Rem 16" Ruger compact. Bullet expansion kinda sucked, but it worked. My favourite bullets have been 129gr LRAB and 130gr AB's. Typical muzzle velocity is around 2875fps. Lots of bang flops on big northern WT's. Expansion and bullet integrity has been fantastic anywhere from the 180yds to 489yds I have shot them.

Interested in this as well. I've been reloading a lot of target loads, but plan on hunting with the 6.5 some next year.

I've shot LOADS of deer and hogs and coyotes with my Creedmoor over the past few years. I use 140gr Nosler BTs and I haven't lost a whitetail yet. 24" barrel. 2686fps shots between 50yds and 450yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used my 6.5 Creedmoor on whitetail and plan to use it on an Aoudad and boar hunt. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on elk or mulie. I am wrestling with whether to take it to South Africa this summer for plains game. I'm sure it would do little great, but am leaning towards my .300 Win Mag out of an abundance of caution.

Good of luck and good hunting.

Last edited:
Over 100 white tails killed over past 3 years with creed here in south Texas (managed lands deer permits). Have a log book on every shot and kill. Average shot 339 yds, longest 880 wth lots of 400-600 shots in there. Love the round. The deer have weighed between 75 lbs and 230 lbs and the vast majority have been drt, high shoulder, pancake.

Gun-Savage model 12 LRP, 26" tube
Scope-SWFA 5-20 HD in lapped tally lightweights

2 different loads that shoot lights out in this gun. Both loads shoot .6 moa at 1k and will just dang near one hole at 300 yds.

Brass- Hornady
Primer-CCI-BR2
Bullet-140 gr amax
Powder-H4350 (42.6 gr)
OAL-2.810"
MV=2,839 ES 9 fps

Brass- Hornady
Primer-CCI-BR2
Bullet-143 gr eld-x
Powder-H4350 (41.9 gr)
OAL Base to ogive-2.1675"
MV=2,785 ES 11 fps

Bought a new 6.5 GAP 4S so killed a lot more deer with it than the creed this year but it will remain in the rotation. The creed is just so easy to load for....and just flat ass kills.

Reactions: deersniper
The 6.5 will do the job on any elk or smaller animal. I would not be hesitant to use it on moose.
I also believe that accuracy trumps the size of the caliber you use.
Bullet placement.

Reactions: D. Hargrove
Amen. Bullet placement! Hit where you are aiming and the creed will do it all!

I don't know how many of you have ever hunted with the amax but they are freaking devastating at distance. I have neck shot deer at 300 and under and head hangs on by slivers of tissue when bullet enters just under chin. All other shots have been high shoulder and broken back. DRT. Massive internal damage...all energy dumped in animal not in tree on the other side. Very similar to Berger but more frangible. I have shot deer with the eld-x and they are much more solidly constructed. Don't get the explosive energy dump you get with amax. Shot a doe the other day at 639 high shoulder and had a golf ball sized exit. I have not shot the new eldm bullets but I bet they will perform more or just like the amax.

I've dropped two deer with a 140 Amax out of a GAP 10 22" gasser. Factory Hornady ammo running at 2670 or so if memory serves. One at 525, ran about 45 yds and died, the other was a Dow at 100 DRT.

Shot a cow elk with my 6.5 Creedmoor in my Tikka CTR platform. Shooting a 135 grain Berger Classic Hunter at about 2809 fps. Shot was about 330 yards and right behind the shoulder. She went 40-50 yards and piled up. I loaned my gun to a kid who shot a cow with it as well and it was pretty much the same exact result. I feel like the 6.5 is definitely a "behind the shoulder" type round, (especially for elk) but I really like the set-up and wouldn't hesitate to use it on about anything I can shoot here in MT within reason.

Took two big mulies last year with my 6.5CM. I use a Savage FCP-SR with a 20" barrel (running a SilencerCo Omega suppressor on it). Ammo is Hornady 129 SST. One mulie was taken at 285yrds and the other at 235yrds. Both dropped in their tracks and penetration was perfect. I plan on using this combo for the foreseeable future, maybe move up to a heavier bullet...maybe not

Agreed on the 6.5's. I have taken many antelope and mule deer with 6.5x55, 260 and the 6.5x47, regardless of projectile, MV 2600-2800 fps out to 650 yards for me personally. Double lungs, heart. Head, neck and high shoulder shots.

But, you have to be willing to pass up a strong quartering shot on a beast like this with a belly of grass. I have passed on many a nice buck because I only had fleeting seconds to take him or never see him again. This picture is simply a pre-season example of the angle I would not attempt with that class of cartridge, perhaps others more skilled than I would.

The last two pics you may have already seen from the last 2 seasons. The one in the snow extreme raking 440 yard 20 degrees above me as he was disappearing into the timber. 338 lapua 260 LRX entering right rear between the RR ham and back rib, exit LF shoulder. Less than 1 minute of shooting light, last day of the season fell all the way down the mountain, DOA.

The desert buck, less than a minute of legal light, extreme front quartering shot between the RF and chest exit between LR ham and LR back rib. Fell into the canyon he was about to step into DOA, around 150 yards 300 WIN 190 SMK.

Bell killed a bunch large pachyderms with the old diminuative 7, but the shots were perfect. Like an archer, so it is with everything including firearms: location and reasonableness relative to the game at hand.

I will most likely use my 6.5 CM this Fall at times, but if I am after a particular horned beast I will take more horsepower. They still seem to die, I have yet to experience anything over killed yet.

Attachments

• photo47448.jpg
    photo47448.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 113
  • photo47453.jpg
    photo47453.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 128
  • photo47707.jpg
    photo47707.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 103
Sounds like a 6.5CM or a 260REM will be my choice when it's time or economically feasible for my re-barrel !
Thanks Everyone !

We use a ,260 Rem and 6.5 SLR on deer sized and down game. Devastating results. Usually shoot the 140 Berger HVLD @ 2850-2930 depending on rifle. But used a 127 LRX @ 3020fps this year for my daughter's deer hunt. 637 yards, and she dumped a big muley in his tracks. The 6.5s have some black magic backing them. They just flat kill. The 6.5 CM should do the exact same thing.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i642.photobucket.com\/albums\/uu142\/lancetkenyon13\/2016%20Deer%20Season\/DSC_0377_zpsftphgubx.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I've used Scenars with my Creedmoor for both Mule Deer & Elk, from a 23" barrel Cooper, using RL17 powder.
123gr at 3060fps for Mule Deer
139gr at 2839 for Elk.
Both one-shot kills.

I love the round. I plan on using it for Coyotes to elk. I reload so I can make it do what ever I want. Right now my rifle likes the 129sst from Hornady, and I have some 123sst's that I'm going to load up this weekend with some IMR 4166 Enduron powder will most likely be my fall coyote load.

I picked up a RAP in 6.5 for a light antelope/deer round after falling in love with the wife's 6.5 RPR.

It worked but I'm going with lighter bullets. I tried some Nosler Accru-bonds, 142 gr pushed by 41.7 gr of win 760 out of the RAPs 22 in. barrel. Shot a fair muley at 335 yards and left an exit hole you could drive a truck through. Same results on antelope.

I'm gonna try Hornady's 143s this year on elk, but I got to find something lighter for deer/antelope.

Reactions: Rd jr567
2017, 26" barrel (with 1900+ rounds through it) 140 ELD handload at 2790fps, 553 yards.
Montana%202016%20034.jpg

2015, same rifle above but with about 900 rounds on it. 140 A-Max hand load at 2800fps, last day opportunity buck at 91 yards.
montana2015%20004.jpg

Just for giggles,
2014, 6mm XC at 390-400 yards using 105 Berger Hybrid at 2890fps.

Montana2014024.jpg

2013, 24" barrel 260 using 139 Lapua scenars at 2810fps, just under 200 yards, IIRC
Montana2013005.jpg

2012, 24" barrel 260 using 140 A-max at 2840fps at 135 yards.
Montana2012009.jpg

Prior to those I used a 308...

Nice Deer , looks like you've found a good location ! Keep it under your hat . I too am switching from 308 to 6.5 CM / REM 260 / or 6.5SLR , haven't made up my mind yet . How did bullet expansion compare to your 308s ? and were most DRT or did they go very far at all ?
Thanks !

Nice Deer , looks like you've found a good location ! Keep it under your hat . I too am switching from 308 to 6.5 CM / REM 260 / or 6.5SLR , haven't made up my mind yet . How did bullet expansion compare to your 308s ? and were most DRT or did they go very far at all ?
Thanks !

I typically hold high shoulder and every deer I've hit while using A-max, now ELD, has dropped right there. The bullets rarely exit. I've used berger VLD's with the same result but in 308. Now the failures, I have used three bullets that sailed right through with no signs of expansion, 1- .264 139 grain Lapa Scenar that deer was hit in the spine and dropped until I was a few steps away then got up a ran about 25-50 yards and dropped again long enough for a 45acp to finish it. Berger .243 105 target Hybrid, this was really a non failure as I knew head of time that it might not expand since the target bullets have heavier jackets. When I was confronted with a 400 yard shot with my 6mm XC (a true .3 MOA shooter) in absolutely perfect no wind conditions I aimed for the heart and hit the heart. The deer ran 10 yards toward me and did an Olympic level back flip landing on its feet, took a step forward and did a second back flip landing on its belly this time and was dead. On dressing him out there was very little damage other than a ripped heart and because of the angle of the shot no bone was hit. The last failure was while using a .308 155 grain Lapua Scenar and the deer was quartering toward and about 250 yards distance and I hit a little farther to the rear than I would have liked. The bullet popped the lungs and stomach and after about 30 seconds of watching him stand there stiff legged I set up to shoot a second round when he dropped.

Here is a detailed look at what a 140 A-max does...

Entrance
005-5.jpg

Slicing the spine
004-3.jpg

And almost a exit
006-5.jpg

Thanks !

As another 308/6.5 convert, I'd tell you that most of the time you couldn't tell the difference between a 308 wound, and a 264 wound. This is what I usually find:

I recently used a 6.5 Creedmoor to take a 215 lb pig. I used the Hornsby Premier Hunter 143 gr ELD-X. The shot hit the pig hard, it took about 10 steps and dropped. I'm a big fan of this caliber and this particular load. I'm planning to use it on an Aoudad hunt in January.

I use a 260 Rem pushing the 143 ELD-X 2775 over 42.3 gr H4340 for everything. Same damn thing as 6.5 cream-horn just alot more style =P.

This 246 lbs whitetail was at 450 yards. DRT.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzQwsJf4c4qCNm1FYUVRSUVGS2s/view?usp=drivesdk

This black bear was at 100 yards. 200 lbs. Ran 10 yards then dead.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzQwsJf4c4qCNDFndzNtTlppdVk/view?usp=drivesdk

This 845lbs bull moose was at 300 yards. One shot in the boiler room, took three steps then face planted.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzQwsJf4c4qCOFdrZTFURHQ5ME0/view?usp=drivesdk

Took my RPR into the field for the first time yesterday, wasn't even hunting, just setting up cameras and feeders for summer hogs. After loading up the 4-wheeler, was creeping my way to the front of the property homeward bound. This hog walked out on a part of the property I had not even seen hogs, so of course my rifle was put away. Made a clean 80 yard shot with 140 AMAX. ( to be fair, I was anticipating a shot on a coyote or fox so bullet choice may not have been correct to some, on a game animal I would only use an expanding bullet, eld-x perhaps.) Regardless, this round is phenomenal for thin skinned game, using proper round placement and bullet selection.
To properly answer your question, I beleive that a good, off the shelf selection would be 143 eld-x. Great stats as far as my limited experience is concerned.

Attachments

• 2017-05-11 12.08.48.jpg
    2017-05-11 12.08.48.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 100
This little guy was hit at 300 with a 140 RDF from an RPR. First blood for the RPR I was surprised at the damage.

Attachments

• photo60216.jpg
    photo60216.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 123
  • photo60217.jpg
    photo60217.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 95
22" barrel
2640 fps
140 amax factory load
Only deer I killed was last year with it and DRT at 275yds. I held tight into the front shoulder quartering to me. Obliterated his shoulder and dropped him on the spot. This year I will hunt with 143eld-x or 130/140 VLD's

Very cool. I wonder how close those barnes bullets are to Hornady's 140 BTHP in the Hornady Black line. I was thinking if I swapped to double lunging instead of high shoulder shots, maybe I could get away with using that round. Then I would stock up on it and shoot the same round for shooting and hunting.

5x5 elk bull at 285 yards with 120amax factory ammo. Double lunged, only went 20 yards. Shot with 22in jp lrp-07 creedmore. Also similar distance on a big mule deer as well as an antelope. I double lunged the antelope and it laid right down and didn't run. You want to be selective on your antelope shot placement or you won't have much meat left to bring home!

Very cool. I wonder how close those barnes bullets are to Hornady's 140 BTHP in the Hornady Black line. I was thinking if I swapped to double lunging instead of high shoulder shots, maybe I could get away with using that round. Then I would stock up on it and shoot the same round for shooting and hunting.

You could do that anyways, the Hornady's are just as good as the Barnes.

1 mule deer last year with factory hornady 140 amax. 2640 FPS from 22" barrel. 275 yards. Quartering to me, busted through front left shoulder bone and exited opposite rib cage. Bucked up on his hind legs crashed down hill 15 yards DRT. Can post pics of what it did to the deer.
I will be using 140 ELD-M on 2 hunts this year for mule deer as well.

Last edited:
I've seen four deer hit from 750 yards to 1002 yards with ELD-M bullets fired from creeds and they all had good exit wounds and died within 30 yards of where they were shot. Two of them were with factory ammo.

6.5 Creed. 143gr ELD-X about 2800 fps. This was 865yds last week. Went in the front shoulder and blew out the neck through an artery. He didn't go more than 50yds. Blood was uh... not difficult to follow. Jacket blew off nicely inside and did a lot of devastation to vitals. Exit was about an inch in diameter.

SqlPkf4l.jpg

fYH7j6wl.jpg

Plenty, two of the bucks in that video were dropped by 140bthp.

That's interesting. I've had mixed. Blew a coyote in half with one, then my brother shot a coues deer with one and it acted like a FMJ. I had had great results with the Amax on coues, so I figured the BTHP would be fine. Must've been a fluke his didn't open, or it just opens better on larger mulies vs 80lb whitetail.

Over 100 white tails killed over past 3 years with creed here in south Texas (managed lands deer permits). Have a log book on every shot and kill. Average shot 339 yds, longest 880 wth lots of 400-600 shots in there. Love the round. The deer have weighed between 75 lbs and 230 lbs and the vast majority have been drt, high shoulder, pancake.

Gun-Savage model 12 LRP, 26" tube
Scope-SWFA 5-20 HD in lapped tally lightweights

2 different loads that shoot lights out in this gun. Both loads shoot .6 moa at 1k and will just dang near one hole at 300 yds.

Brass- Hornady
Primer-CCI-BR2
Bullet-140 gr amax
Powder-H4350 (42.6 gr)
OAL-2.810"
MV=2,839 ES 9 fps

Brass- Hornady
Primer-CCI-BR2
Bullet-143 gr eld-x
Powder-H4350 (41.9 gr)
OAL Base to ogive-2.1675"
MV=2,785 ES 11 fps

Bought a new 6.5 GAP 4S so killed a lot more deer with it than the creed this year but it will remain in the rotation. The creed is just so easy to load for....and just flat ass kills.
I measured my savage 12FV with a Hornady overall case gauge 3 times and it measured2.888 in. The max S.A.A.M.I is 2.825. That is alot of jump to the I have used the Hornady factory coal and it shoots .250 @ 100 yds. I was told to go to within .005 of the lands. I use 34.6 grains of varget,hornady brass, hornady 147 grain ELD Match bullets.I usually feed one at and time so whether the round fits in the mag or not isn't an issue.any thoughts on c.o.a.l. length?

I’ve used a 6.5 Creedmoor with 140 gr Hornady bthp 26 in barrel at 2800 FPS on whitetail for the past 3 years. Using imr 4451 at 41.2 grains and Hornady brass. It drops them every time. I wish I had a picture of the first one I shot. I shot it at 50 yards broadside. It ended up having two exit holes about the size of a fist. One on the opposite shoulder and one out of the bottom of its neck. The entrance was right in the shoulder. Oddest thing I’ve ever seen