• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor loading data

Topgunsc

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2021
Columbia,SC
I have ordered a 6.5 Creedmoor on a Ruger #1 action from Mark Penrod that I am having re barreled from 7-08 IMP. What are the prefered load formulas. The barrel is 8 twist, 24" and I expect to shoot 120 and 140 gr. bullets. I will be mostly punching paper, but will occasionally sit in a deer stand. I will be dissapointed if the rifle won't shoot 1/2" MOA. I have been loading for a while, but not an expert by any means, had a partner for a while, but now I'm on my own.

I have ordered a 6.5 Creedmoor on a Ruger #1 action from Mark Penrod that I am having re barreled from 7-08 IMP. What are the prefered load formulas. The barrel is 8 twist, 24" and I expect to shoot 120 and 140 gr. bullets. I will be mostly punching paper, but will occasionally sit in a deer stand. I will be dissapointed if the rifle won't shoot 1/2" MOA. I have been loading for a while, but not an expert by any means, had a partner for a while, but now I'm on my own.
There is a HUGE thread in this sub forum on 6.5 load data.

Might want to read the last 5-10 pages of it, yeah?

A lot of your options will be dictated by what you can find. Brass isn’t difficult these days, I recommend Lapua or Peterson SRP, and CCI 450 / 41 / BR-4 or Fed 205M / GM205MAR for primer. 450s and 205Ms will be much cheaper than the other options with no real performance downside, but you gotta find ‘em.

For 140gr powder, H4350, Staball 6.5, or RL-16 are good choices, and IMR 4350 is acceptable as well but not ideal. Good luck finding these, but it can be done.

I have less experience with the 120s, but a reloading manual or the thread on here will have info.

For bullets, Berger are the best (the 156gr EOL is a little too heavy for 6.5CM, I wouldn’t go heavier than the Hornady 147gr ELDM), Hornady ELDM are good value if they don’t explode (there have been issues reported), and I think for general steel ringing the Hornady 140 HPBT is hard to argue with. You’ll pay double the cost of the HPBTs to run Berger LRHTs. I won’t get into hunting bullets here because I don’t care to argue about them.

Here’s the thread, it’s a sticky so it isn’t hard to find (it’s at the top of the forum you posted this in…):

Reactions: category_theory

A lot of your options will be dictated by what you can find. Brass isn’t difficult these days, I recommend Lapua or Peterson SRP, and CCI 450 / 41 / BR-4 or Fed 205M / GM205MAR for primer. 450s and 205Ms will be much cheaper than the other options with no real performance downside, but you gotta find ‘em.

For 140gr powder, H4350, Staball 6.5, or RL-16 are good choices, and IMR 4350 is acceptable as well but not ideal. Good luck finding these, but it can be done.

I have less experience with the 120s, but a reloading manual or the thread on here will have info.

For bullets, Berger are the best (the 156gr EOL is a little too heavy for 6.5CM, I wouldn’t go heavier than the Hornady 147gr ELDM), Hornady ELDM are good value if they don’t explode (there have been issues reported), and I think for general steel ringing the Hornady 140 HPBT is hard to argue with. You’ll pay double the cost of the HPBTs to run Berger LRHTs. I won’t get into hunting bullets here because I don’t care to argue about them.

Here’s the thread, it’s a sticky so it isn’t hard to find (it’s at the top of the forum you posted this in…):

Thanks for your input, getting components is a real problem. It will be a few months before I get the 6.5 Creedmoor, hopefully things will loosen up soon.

Thanks for your input, getting components is a real problem. It will be a few months before I get the 6.5 Creedmoor, hopefully things will loosen up soon.
Honestly, it sounds weird but it might be best to get primers then buy brass to fit. What I mean is, if you get SRP brass then have an opportunity to score LRPs that’s not too helpful. But brass is pretty available, and bullets that aren’t 6mm Bergers or 143 ELDX / 147 ELDM are pretty obtainable too. Powder is really hard, but won’t impact the other choices unless you change bullet weight significantly.

Focus on primers and powder, buy whichever bullets you wanna run when they come up, and brass can be the lowest urgency. Don’t forget to get the dies coming too, those can often be backordered.

Reactions: tball