• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor - optimal barrel length?

garandman

Bad Advice for Free
Banned !
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2009
Huntington WV
Mines 26" right now.

Thinking about getting it chopped to 24"

Opinions on the length?

Thanx.

20qxb9f.jpg

Most people say to go long. At least 24-26". But I am having one built with a 22" becuase I would rather have a portable, balanced rifle than a little extra velocity

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

For me I wouldn't go to the trouble of chopping it for 24" vs 26". I would at least go to 22" or just shoot the shit out of it and when it comes time to re barrel pick whatever length you want

Yeah, 2 inches isn't a big difference. I'd just keep it at 26 myself and shoot the hell out of it. Re-barrel when it's time to a shorter length if you so desire. Personally i wouldn't go less than 24" in a 6.5mm cartridge.

OK, seems like there's pretty much a consensus to leave it / shoot it out.

If I suppress it, I'd have to shoulder the barrel like this:

12thon762mm.jpg

Thoughts?

mine was 21.5,I have my buddies 18.5, and building 2 more at 22 I like the shorter rifle, the 140 amax was 2780 and 123 amax was 2995 out of the 21 no need to go longer not going to gain much, the 18.5 will run the 130 vld at 2810 , not hot rodding or killing brass either, but I wouldnt chop a barrel for 2 inches...........