• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor proof barrel with factory 147 eldm

sniper79_98

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2009
USA
I shot about two boxes of these things today. The groups measured about an inch. Some were touching but no group was much under .750. The 24” heavy contour proof barrel has a total of 50 rounds through it. Has anyone had a PR barrel take a few rounds to settle in? Is factory 147s a go to for this caliber? This is an AR10.

Short answer is yes. After following the break in procedure found on proofs website, I still found that every once in awhile I’d still have a flyer or two. Took my barrel(s) around 100 shots to fully break in. Although I am shooting on a bolt action platform, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be the same. If fir some reason it’s still acting up after 75-100 rounds, I’d get in contact with proofs team

-Jayden

Short answer is yes. After following the break in procedure found on proofs website, I still found that every once in awhile I’d still have a flyer or two. Took my barrel(s) around 100 shots to fully break in. Although I am shooting on a bolt action platform, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be the same. If fir some reason it’s still acting up after 75-100 rounds, I’d get in contact with proofs team

-Jayden
Agree with this.

Also, each barrel has its own personality and what it likes, it may shoot better 143's. Give it a box or two to settle in, follow through on fundamentals and if there is no improve, give a different bullet a try.

I got lucky with my factory LMT barrel and it loves 140gr American gunner. I will eventually do some load development with 147's but for now, 140s rock

Reactions: bobke
Thank y’all for the responses. I bedded the extension to the receiver with a thermal fit using a shim and loctite. It’s and M5e1 upper with a diamond trigger. Scope is an SWFA SS. I built three other ones (Lothar Walther, Ballistic advantage) that shoot quarter sized groups. Seeing 5 shots needing a silver dollar did not make me happy lol. I’ll keep shooting and see what happens.

Thank y’all for the responses. I bedded the extension to the receiver with a thermal fit using a shim and loctite. It’s and M5e1 upper with a diamond trigger. Scope is an SWFA SS. I built three other ones (Lothar Walther, Ballistic advantage) that shoot quarter sized groups. Seeing 5 shots needing a silver dollar did not make me happy lol. I’ll keep shooting and see what happens.
Let us know if anything changes!

Sometimes it is trial and error in seeing what your rifle likes. Every barrel and setup can be a bit different. I would see what the 140 grain does and go from there. .75 out of a gas gun isnt terrible though.

Every gasser in 6.5 CM that I have owned (3), liked lighter bullets for some reason. The 120/130 grain bullets always shot better than the 140gr and above. This is just my experience. YMMV.
P.s. the rifles were: LMT, GAP10, and a custom build by Oxgoad Arms

That’s awesome information to hear, especially that little ps bit lol. I’m aware different guns like different loads and so on. Knowing that three really well made rifles like those mentioned preformed better with lighter loads makes me optimistic moving forward.

Reactions: runningbear
The GAP had a Bartlein barrel, LMT had their own barrel, and the Oxgoad had a JP barrel. Hope this helps!

My Proof barrel like the 140s better than the 147. I shot five of them in under two minutes that I can cover with a beer bottle cap. I’m happier than I was lol.

I overlooked that regard. Thanks for bringing that up!
Specifically, gas guns can cause flyers due to bolt carrier velocity in a few different ways:

1. Bolt Bounce. The bolt unlocks some when it slams home due to inelastic collision with the barrel extension.
2. Damage to bullets - the barrel extension chews up the projectile when its loaded into the chamber.
3. Set-back/pull out - The cartridge is loaded with such enthusiasm that the COAL changes.

Enhanced buffering systems help with all of these, like the JP VMOS bolt in large frame guns and the Surefire OBC in small frame guns.

So much so, I had NEVER gotten Hornady Superformance 556 75 grains to shoot in a gas gun, and changing to the SF OBC massively reduced the groups from that ammo to excellent results.

That said, try single loading for a few groups to see if this is likely.

OP, I hope the nest for you. Ive caught wind lately of a hand full of carbon Proof Barrels not performing. I don’t know if this is a matter of coincidence or id they are having QC issues in recent time. Most of the examples i onow of personally were in magnum chambering.
I had a 30 Nosler chambered by a top rated smith in the nation and the proof CF barrel would not hold consistency or shoot less than about 0.75 moa. After about 10 months of off and on load development amd troubleshooting, i contacted Proof.
Proof customer service was excellent and very understanding. They didn’t blame me or the smith and were very open minded about the possible contributing factors. They never tried to dissuade me from sending my barrel back for inspection and testing,
My barrel failed the air-gauging (volume test?) and the barrel was replaced. Unfortunately I replaced the barrel with a steel barrel from another manufacturer. I run carbon barrels and have one barrel from proof that shoots fine. I have returned 3 barrels personally to 2 different manufacturers out of maybe 20 or so I've purchased. It happens I guess. There are a couple companies that I have never had any issues with.

Im confident Proof will make it right if warranted. My best sugesstion is dont waist all the time I did blowing ammo and powder. Get your gun back to the smith or to proof or both after you cover the basics (alternative scope test, check torque on everything, stock check, a few ammo tests (3 factory loads or 2-3 basic hand loads). I wasted 10 months and over $300 in ammo.

PS - Im not bashing or blaming anyone. I still buy proof barrels; just not magnum chambering. Most issues I've seen personally were with magnums. I personally belieive the big magnums just vibrate too much or heat stress quickly after sustained fire. These are my persinal feelings ans not to be taken as governing fact or statements.

PPSS - I’m referring to bolt guns as i habe more experice with their barrles. I ddi t send back a turd 224 Valkyrie AR barrel. I have a replacement now and a 224 bolt gun barrels as well. The both are fine. I habe a reamer that is working well in 224 Valkyrie.

Sincerely, I wish you the best in resolvi

Reactions: jkramlich
OP, I hope the nest for you. Ive caught wind lately of a hand full of carbon Proof Barrels not performing. I don’t know if this is a matter of coincidence or id they are having QC issues in recent time. Most of the examples i onow of personally were in magnum chambering.
I had a 30 Nosler chambered by a top rated smith in the nation and the proof CF barrel would not hold consistency or shoot less than about 0.75 moa. After about 10 months of off and on load development amd troubleshooting, i contacted Proof.
Proof customer service was excellent and very understanding. They didn’t blame me or the smith and were very open minded about the possible contributing factors. They never tried to dissuade me from sending my barrel back for inspection and testing,
My barrel failed the air-gauging (volume test?) and the barrel was replaced. Unfortunately I replaced the barrel with a steel barrel from another manufacturer. I run carbon barrels and have one barrel from proof that shoots fine. I have returned 3 barrels personally to 2 different manufacturers out of maybe 20 or so I've purchased. It happens I guess. There are a couple companies that I have never had any issues with.

Im confident Proof will make it right if warranted. My best sugesstion is dont waist all the time I did blowing ammo and powder. Get your gun back to the smith or to proof or both after you cover the basics (alternative scope test, check torque on everything, stock check, a few ammo tests (3 factory loads or 2-3 basic hand loads). I wasted 10 months and over $300 in ammo.

PS - Im not bashing or blaming anyone. I still buy proof barrels; just not magnum chambering. Most issues I've seen personally were with magnums. I personally belieive the big magnums just vibrate too much or heat stress quickly after sustained fire. These are my persinal feelings ans not to be taken as governing fact or statements.

PPSS - I’m referring to bolt guns as i habe more experice with their barrles. I ddi t send back a turd 224 Valkyrie AR barrel. I have a replacement now and a 224 bolt gun barrels as well. The both are fine. I habe a reamer that is working well in 224 Valkyrie.

Sincerely, I wish you the best in resolvi
I haven’t thought about this at all. This coukd quite possibly be another culprit. My gun work has always been done by the best gunsmith in ND. He has 52 year of experience with countless barrels/builds under his belt. I don’t suspect it would be his case, but I could meet up with him and see what his thoughts are. It was just weird to me that one day it was shooting fine, then the next day it was shooting 2 moa groups. I’ll contact proof and see what could be done about this. I appreciate the reply!