• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor Reloading - Recipes and Data

barrickmr

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2020
Good afternoon. I am new to snipers hide and I wanted to share a successful 6.5 blend that has given me consistent results.

I have chosen to use the Hornady 143gr .264 (6.5mm) ELD-X projectile. I switched to the ELD-X when the A-Max line was being discontinued due to melting tip issues at prolonged supersonic speed.

I have been using Hornady brass simply due to cost and availability. I have a majority of my brass at 5-6 firings. I have begun to anneal frequently, and do not see any stress indicators on the brass and neck issues.

Projectile - Hornady .264 143gr ELD-X
Powder - RL-17
Charge - 43gr
Velocities - 2860 FPS to 2890 FPS - 20 shot test high / low.
Temp - 75 degrees approx.
COAL - 2.800
Primer - CCI #200
Barrel length 24"
Bolt action
1/8 twist rate.
Fired will AAC - SR7 suppressor attached.

**43gr is technically above max recommend charge per the Hornady reloading guide. Use at your own risk**

Good afternoon. I am new to snipers hide and I wanted to share a successful 6.5 blend that has given me consistent results.

I have chosen to use the Hornady 143gr .264 (6.5mm) ELD-X projectile. I switched to the ELD-X when the A-Max line was being discontinued due to melting tip issues at prolonged supersonic speed.

I have been using Hornady brass simply due to cost and availability. I have a majority of my brass at 5-6 firings. I have begun to anneal frequently, and do not see any stress indicators on the brass and neck issues.

Powder - RL-17
Charge - 43gr
COAL - 2.800
Primer - CCI #200
Barrel length 24"
Bolt action
1/8 twist rate.

**43gr is technically above max recommend charge per the Hornady reloading guide. Use at your own risk**

Be aware that RL-17 is somewhat temperature sensitive (like 1.4 fps per degree change). Depending on the type of shooting you do that could mean little if anything or it could be significant. I've gotten some good results with that powder in my .308, but after using up what I had, there are other powers I use that perform just as well or better and are less temp sensitive (e.g. H4895, AR-Comp, Varget, IMR 4064).

Reactions: barrickmr
I am a big fan of the ELD-X. I backed into it, not realizing at first it was a hunting bullet. (Several years ago when I purchased my first 6.5 cartridge and rifle). The rounds, both factory loads and my reloads shot so well, I never went back. As I have stated elsewhere, I have found that on a good day I can gt 0.010 small groups using the Berger Hybrid. Both shoot well in my rifles.

Reactions: barrickmr
Be aware that RL-17 is somewhat temperature sensitive (like 1.4 fps per degree change). Depending on the type of shooting you do that could mean little if anything or it could be significant. I've gotten some good results with that powder in my .308, but after using up what I had, there are other powers I use that perform just as well or better and are less temp sensitive (e.g. H4895, AR-Comp, Varget, IMR 4064).
Thank you for your response. I am running through my surplus 17 and will switch over to my stock of 16 shortly. I've heard the 16 is like the 17 on burn rate, but more temp stable.

You mentioned 308. I am starting to play around with 220gr eldx, and RL17. Can you give me some advice on your 308 experiences?

The search engine here, and the reloading depot is your friend.

Thank you for your response. I am running through my surplus 17 and will switch over to my stock of 16 shortly. I've heard the 16 is like the 17 on burn rate, but more temp stable.

Burn rate for 16 is closer to the burn rate of Varget and not as close to 17 as you may think. Though they could be close if a particular lot of 17 was slower than normal compared to a particular lat of 17 that is faster than normal. And yes, 16 is more temp stable than 17.

You mentioned 308. I am starting to play around with 220gr eldx, and RL17. Can you give me some advice on your 308 experiences?

I have not gone that heavy a round for my .308. And the two main reasons is I want to keep the recoil down some and such weight is a little hard on rifle components. So, I've gone up to 185's and the one I like best is the Berger 185 Juggernauts, which I've used with the RL17. Using 45.8 grs I get MV's around 2620 fps out of a 24" barrel and great ES's and SD's (like SD: 4.2 and ES: 6 ) with MOA's running in the 4's and sometimes in the 3's. Since I'm not using RL17 anymore, I've gone to IMR 4064 and 40.9 grs of it is giving me same kind of results, except the MV is down to 2560 fps, but . . . it's still good out to 1000 yds.

Last edited:

Powder - RL-17
Charge - 43gr
COAL - 2.800
Primer - CCI #200
Barrel length 24"
Bolt action
1/8 twist rate.

I have a remington 700 milspec gen ii the runs that exact same as above but COAL is 2.86 . This gun likes it closer to the lands and I get 2830fps average with a SD of 8. I read this before I started the OCW. So thanks for the post.

I have yet to reload a single round. I think that makes me a newbie! My goal is to shoot Xs at 600 yards. I have settled on Hornady brass and bulletts, and CCI BR primers. The powder choice is yet to be deterined but I have a list of Hornady recommended that I am trying to purchase. I am looking for advice on equipment. I have purchased but it hasn't yet arrived, an Area 419 ZERO press. I have managed to confuse myself about dies and whose are the best. Some guidance will be greatly appreciated!

No. 220 gr + 308 is not a good idea if you are starting. While I'm sure someone will come along and say "well i do it" there is a reason this weight of bullet is not in many reloading books for 308. WAY too heavy a bullet. Stick with 175/185 gr bullets to start with. Even as a pro. 155 to 185 is the 308 Sweet spot with people favoring 175-185. Some F class shooters go slightly heavier. Get you some 185 Juggernaughts, 175 SMK, or similar.