• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creedmoor vs 260 rem vs 6.5/06 what to do!

Willie Miller V

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2013
I currently have a custom 6.5 cm I had debated a 260 rem and a 6.5/06. I am not a professional shooter, I reload ammo and use factory. My 6.5cm has. 24" Krieger 8 twist . Is there any benefit to having a 260 rem, is there a big velocity difference? I know the 6.5/06 is a long action so you should get more velocity. I run 140 amax, 142 sierra hpbt and som 130 scirocco 2s. I don't know my velocity because I haven't even shot my barrel in. However I just wanted some opinions and numbers if possible. I know people have their preferences but I don't care I just want some professional advice. On the hogdon load data all the cartridges I have talked about run close together within 50-100 fps. So let's hear it guys!

I'm trying to decide between the 6.5 creedmoor and a 260. Finally made up my mind after tons of reading and research to go with the 260. Don't ask me why cause I might change my mind.

Basically what I have seen there is not much difference ballistically. The main argument is component availability but both are pretty available at the moment.

There is not a big velocity difference between a 6.5CM and a 260, inless you go to a 260 ackley. The 260 OAL can be a issue with some mag systems, which is why the 6.5CM is a better choice in a gas gun vs 243 or 260. Since we are talking bolt gun, the 6.5cm and 260 are pretty much a tie.

I have been using 260 Rem 26" barrels with 8.5 twist in my 2 DTAs. Lapua brass with CCI BR2 primers, H4831 at 45.7 gr. and Berger 140 gr. VDLs seated at 2.86 OAL and getting 2870 fps with 6 fps SD. Less than 0.5 MOA all day at 300 yards and hitting 12" steel at 900 yards more 90% of the time. Great round to reload for and almost as forgiving as the 308. Wind is your biggest enemy after Obama!!!

Anxiously awaiting my Tan AI AXMC 308 with 260 conversion and my Steiner T5Xi 5-25X scope and I should be done shopping for quite a while and get out shooting. Fully retiring Sept 30th and can't wait.

I'm trying to decide between the 6.5 creedmoor and a 260. Finally made up my mind after tons of reading and research to go with the 260. Don't ask me why cause I might change my mind.

Basically what I have seen there is not much difference ballistically. The main argument is component availability but both are pretty available at the moment.

I had the same dilemma as you a month ago.
Went 260 and don't regret it at all.
Getting good results from cheap Win 243 brass(that's lasting longer than spendy nosler brass) and I can use a lee collet die.

I went 260 in a bolt action, 6.5 creedmoor in large AR and 6.5 grendel in AR 15 platform, maybe a little overkill but couldn't be happier.
cheers.

If you think you might have to rely on factory ammo, the Creed is probably a better choice. Other than that I didn't see any advantage to it so I went 260. 140vld at 2900 fps with H4350 super low ES and pretty slippery in the wind too :)

Last edited:
I have a 260 rem with a 28in bbl 1:8 twist. I shoot 140 amax, bergers, and barnes. I also shoot some various lighter bullets like barnes 127gr lrx which shoot amazing. I love the gun and would definitely build another 6.5.

6.5 creed Vs 260 decision is all about cheap factory ammo and better design for a semi auto (creed) versus a little more case capacity, more factory offerings but higher prices (260). One thing to consider was a few months back only hornady made loads for the Creedmoor, now winchester has a 140 grain factory loading so imo 6.5 creed is gaining populaity Vs 260. If u want to shoot 6.5 bullets at lower speeds there is the grendel. If u wanna go faster there is the 6.5 saum, the 6.5 odd6, the 6.5x55, the old long range darling the 6.5x284, and the new ultra hot barrel burning 6.5 nosler. If u wanna go fast alot people on this forum and alot of info points to the 6.5 saum as a spectacular round like 3200 fps with the 140 grain bullets with 2-3k of barrel life. Gl with your choice, I think your biggest deciding factor will be if you reload and enjoy it and second will be if u care about barrel life.

I just want to have an accurate rifle and I do. It's a 6.5 Creed 24" Krieger manners stock and Kahle 624i optic. I haven't had the chance to break in the barrel yet but I have plenty of 140grain, 142 grain and would like to get the most accurate and velocity combo possible. Hybrid 100v at 40.9 gr gets 2736, the same charge with 142 sierra hpbt gets 2737 and h 4350 is just under. I have seen some loads that got higher velocities but I haven't looked lately. I have berger 140 vld, hybrid vld, amax, and sierra. If there is anything I have missed let me know please, but these are just off the Hodgmon site.

Those are decent velocities for a 24" barrel.
I've been playing with H100V in 260 and it's working well.

I also have a 6.5/284 Norma semi custom savage but barrel is factory 26" with the brake you can cut off. I had it put in a manners tactical stock so when I want a bull barrel and trued up I can. I just don't see the need in getting a 260 or a 6.5-06 when I have what I have. I would like a 260 ackley improved maybe but I think I have all things covered.

had a couple 6.5-06, if I did it over I would do the 6.5-284.

I like all three, but would choose the 6.5 Creedmoor in the short action. Seems like the 6.5 Creedmoor is a little easier to tune than the .260 and the Hornady ammo is readily available. I would choose the 6.5 Creedmoor.

I have been using 260 Rem 26" barrels with 8.5 twist in my 2 DTAs. Lapua brass with CCI BR2 primers, H4831 at 45.7 gr. and Berger 140 gr. VDLs seated at 2.86 OAL and getting 2870 fps with 6 fps SD. Less than 0.5 MOA all day at 300 yards and hitting 12" steel at 900 yards more 90% of the time. Great round to reload for and almost as forgiving as the 308. Wind is your biggest enemy after Obama!!!

Anxiously awaiting my Tan AI AXMC 308 with 260 conversion and my Steiner T5Xi 5-25X scope and I should be done shopping for quite a while and get out shooting. Fully retiring Sept 30th and can't wait.

Found H4831 a little hot, so now trying 43.5 gr. and will let you know how that does!

Curveball, 6.5x47 lapua! if I was building a rifle tomorrow thats what I lean towards.

I dont shoot factory loads. Neither do anyone else who owns one. They may buy some to try it out soon as they get it but thats about it.

sib1948 said:
I have been using 260 Rem 26" barrels with 8.5 twist in my 2 DTAs. Lapua brass with CCI BR2 primers, H4831 at 45.7 gr. and Berger 140 gr. VDLs seated at 2.86 OAL and getting 2870 fps with 6 fps SD. Less than 0.5 MOA all day at 300 yards and hitting 12" steel at 900 yards more 90% of the time. Great round to reload for and almost as forgiving as the 308. Wind is your biggest enemy after Obama!!!Anxiously awaiting my Tan AI AXMC 308 with 260 conversion and my Steiner T5Xi 5-25X scope and I should be done shopping for quite a while and get out shooting. Fully retiring Sept 30th and can't wait.
Found H4831 a little hot, so now trying 43.5 gr. and will let you know how that does!
Any load you have been shooting will tend to get hot when you're shooting in Phoenix, Arizona in August there Sibley!! Congrats on the retirement!! Does that mean you're going to have time to come up and visit me?Back on topic and FWIW, I went with the 260 too... No reason really, but I did like the component availability, Lapua brass, and the option to easily neck down my over-abundance of FGMM 308 brass.

Last edited: