• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5 Creedmoor VS. 308 for big frame AR build

mxcale

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2012
tennessee
I finally recieved my 6.5 creedmoor bolt gun after a long wait. I have already started gathering parts for a big boy AR build and now I'm wondering what is everybody's opinions on sticking with the 6.5 round VS the 308? I will be reloading btw. I'm super ignorant still and curious if I have missed anything though I have read a good bit I'm still nervous to make the final phone call to order either 6.5 or 308 barrel.

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor VS. 308 for big frame AR build

Ballistics on the 6.5 is almost like cheating compared to the 308, and recoil is less w/ the 6.5.

The 308 hits harder, and ammo is everywhere.

The 6.5 bucks the wind better, is more accurate at distance. What reasons made you pick it in a bolt gun. 308 get to a point and its accuracy goes away. If your hunting the 308 has more knock down ponies, or so I've read.

I'm completely new to rifles and limited experience with guns in general really so I went off a recomendation for the 6.5 with my bolt gun. Everything I've read about the 6.5 I like but I just didn't know how that round reacts in the AR platform. Like any issues cycling or anything that maybe I just haven't thought of ya know
smile.gif
most likely going to stick with the 6.5 seeing as how nobody posted any concerns yet. Looks like a monolithic mega arms/ JP barrelled 6.5 creedmoor I shall have! Giddeeee up!!!!!

Mainly just target. But I'd love to pop coyotes and hogs at some point.... And general protection from those up to no good if shit ever hits the fan. I have a suppressor for it as well if that changes anything. Or I WILL have one as soon as I get my paperwork back. Damn slow government gggrrrrrrr

What trigger are you planning on putting in it? I'd get a single stage if possible to keep the trigger pull consistent.

single stage vs.2 stage has nothing to do with the trigger being consistent. If you're comparing a single stage vs adjustable I'd agree.

I am a simple guy when it comes to shooting and I like to keep my logistical trains as simple as possible. If I were you I would stick with one caliber so I can generate one set of brass and keep building on that until I am completely full and then may be I would start a new caliber. And, the 6.5mm Creedmore will kill any evil doers just as fast as a 308 will.

since you reloads, it really depends on how long you like to search for your brass in the fields, personnaly i don't mind loosing a couple pieces of winchester 308 brass over any of my 6.5 creedmoor stuff. Both caliber kill coyote dead the same.

I have discovered over the years, picking up brass shot from a semi-auto is not as easy as I lead myself to believe. I lose some here and there, and if I had to recover .260 brass, I would be really pissed if I could not recover them all.

Semi Auto's burn barrels faster because the urge to go bang bang bang bang bang is there. Even from a bolt gun, a .260 barrel has about half the lifespan of a .308. With semi auto it will wear even faster. With a .308 it's like you are getting 2 barrels.

Semi Auto brass also has a shorter life than bolt brass. For .308 AR's you probably could get 10 reloads from one case with lighter loads, not sure if you can say the same for .260. With .308 LC brass, I have necksized the same cases 10 times now and they are still going strong. I am thinking 20 reloads easily from one case (necksizing for bolt gun). For my AR10, I have only sized (full) the same brass 5 times (but I am thinking they can probably go 10 easily).

For a match shooting bolt gun, .260 is the easy choice over .308. It has about 10 MOA less drop at 1000 yards, and bucks the wind about 4 MOA better at 1000 yards (10 mph). A flatter trajectory will always be more accurate if you have to range your target. However, once you confirmed the distance, a .308 can be just as accurate. If there is no wind or the wind is consistent, then the .308 is capable of being just as accurate. However, every little bit helps, and the .260 does give you the extra bits.

For an all around semi-auto AR, I would chose .308. Brass is cheap and in abundance, barrel lasts longer, and you can shoot other people's ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....
For an all around semi-auto AR, I would chose .308. Brass is cheap and in abundance, barrel lasts longer, and you can shoot other people's ammo. </div></div>

That (complete) post sums up the most important pros and cons sir!
Thanks for this stringent reasoning.

6,5mm is a great, but not readily available round.
.308 is a ubiquitous workhorse.

Are you willing to spend the additional bucks for the 6,5 in the long run?

How close ballistically can you get the 308 running 155gr Scenars or Bergers to the 6.5CM or .260?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have discovered over the years, picking up brass shot from a semi-auto is not as easy as I lead myself to believe. I lose some here and there, and if I had to recover .260 brass, I would be really pissed if I could not recover them all.

Semi Auto's burn barrels faster because the urge to go bang bang bang bang bang is there. Even from a bolt gun, a .260 barrel has about half the lifespan of a .308. With semi auto it will wear even faster. With a .308 it's like you are getting 2 barrels.

Semi Auto brass also has a shorter life than bolt brass. For .308 AR's you probably could get 10 reloads from one case with lighter loads, not sure if you can say the same for .260. With .308 LC brass, I have necksized the same cases 10 times now and they are still going strong. I am thinking 20 reloads easily from one case (necksizing for bolt gun). For my AR10, I have only sized (full) the same brass 5 times (but I am thinking they can probably go 10 easily).

For a match shooting bolt gun, .260 is the easy choice over .308. It has about 10 MOA less drop at 1000 yards, and bucks the wind about 4 MOA better at 1000 yards (10 mph). A flatter trajectory will always be more accurate if you have to range your target. However, once you confirmed the distance, a .308 can be just as accurate. If there is no wind or the wind is consistent, then the .308 is capable of being just as accurate. However, every little bit helps, and the .260 does give you the extra bits.

For an all around semi-auto AR, I would chose .308. Brass is cheap and in abundance, barrel lasts longer, and you can shoot other people's ammo. </div></div>

+1... If you don't care about the cost then why limit yourself to 6.5 and look closer at 6mm which has become very popular as of late with the new productions by GAP and seems to perform the best all around in an AR platform.

I don't know what sort of barrel length requirements there are to see the 6.5mm short action cartridges to their full potential, but I suspect it is somewhere in the 24"+ range which is why I went with the ancient (and admittedly ballistically inferior) 308 Win. I was tired of lugging around a LONG 27", heavy barreled 243 that weighed a ton and wanted a shorter, lighter package. Hence, I now have a 20" AR platform in 308. That in addition to most of my shots are limited to less than 1k yards and the ballistically superior cartridges aren't necessarily NEEDED. To me, the weight savings and shorter barrel were ultimately more important than the ballistic advantages of the 6mm and 6.5mm cartridges.

Why not use a 20" 6mm or 6.5mm cartridge? Because the significant ballistic advantages go to the way side with the shorter barrel and the ballistic edge is no longer all that superior to the 308, AND you get the shorter barrel life to boot.

These are my opinions, for what their worth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawgunner2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not use a 20" 6mm or 6.5mm cartridge? Because the significant ballistic advantages go to the way side with the shorter barrel and the ballistic edge is no longer all that superior to the 308, AND you get the shorter barrel life to boot.

</div></div>

I'm not sure about that. I have a 6.5 CM GAP-10 with a 20" barrel that launches the 140 amax at 2724fps and the 120's at 2800fps. The wind will have less effect on them as well. The .308 is a great round, but it can't compete with the 6.5 CM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawgunner2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not use a 20" 6mm or 6.5mm cartridge? Because the significant ballistic advantages go to the way side with the shorter barrel and the ballistic edge is no longer all that superior to the 308, AND you get the shorter barrel life to boot.

</div></div>

I'm not sure about that. I have a 6.5 CM GAP-10 with a 20" barrel that launches the 140 amax at 2724fps and the 120's at 2800fps. The wind will have less effect on them as well. The .308 is a great round, but it can't compete with the 6.5 CM.</div></div>

Oh, I don't doubt for a second that (some of) the 6 and 6.5mm cartridges out of a 20" tube still beat the 308. The numbers don't lie. But to ME (capitalized for emphasis) the difference between the 6/6.5mm cartridges and the 308, when each is fired from a 20" barrel, is not significant enough to warrant the accelerated barrel wear. If you prefer the convenience of a 20" barrel accompanied with a slight (maybe even moderate?) ballistic advantage over the 308 with your 6.5 Creed, more power to you and I can respect your opinion and ultimately your decision to choose said caliber because I agree, you still hold a ballistic advantage over me with the caveat that my barrel will last longer than yours. Neither decision is "wrong", just what each prefers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawgunner2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawgunner2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not use a 20" 6mm or 6.5mm cartridge? Because the significant ballistic advantages go to the way side with the shorter barrel and the ballistic edge is no longer all that superior to the 308, AND you get the shorter barrel life to boot.

</div></div>

I'm not sure about that. I have a 6.5 CM GAP-10 with a 20" barrel that launches the 140 amax at 2724fps and the 120's at 2800fps. The wind will have less effect on them as well. The .308 is a great round, but it can't compete with the 6.5 CM.</div></div>

Oh, I don't doubt for a second that (some of) the 6 and 6.5mm cartridges out of a 20" tube still beat the 308. The numbers don't lie. But to ME (capitalized for emphasis) the difference between the 6/6.5mm cartridges and the 308, when each is fired from a 20" barrel, is not significant enough to warrant the accelerated barrel wear. If you prefer the convenience of a 20" barrel accompanied with a slight (maybe even moderate?) ballistic advantage over the 308 with your 6.5 Creed, more power to you and I can respect your opinion and ultimately your decision to choose said caliber because I agree, you still hold a ballistic advantage over me with the caveat that my barrel will last longer than yours. Neither decision is "wrong", just what each prefers.</div></div>

I am with you on the barrel life for an all around gun. I choose mine for competition. I am going to get another upper in .308, mainly because I have a lot of .308 ammo laying around. The price difference between the 2 rounds is insignificant when there is only a $3.00 difference per box of match ammo. Comparing FGMM and Hornady.

What about the 6.8? There are limits caused by the case size. However even with my cheap DPMS, accuracy even with its stubby 16" barrel is good. I haven't been to a shooting range with more then 250 yd shooting area, but even at that distance it still 1.5" groups.

As far as my trigger I really haven't decided yet. I'm inexperienced and would prefer fail proof over titty soft but want the best compromise. And I plan on keeping the barrel length at 18". I'm not lookin to shoot comps with it at 10000000 yards just want a badass death dealer to around 700yrds. I've got a lot of work to do just get to be a decent shot and learn about shooting and reloading in general. There's a really cool fairly local guy that's guiding a bit so far but I don't wana wear out my welcome so to speak and bombard him with my ignorance
smile.gif
lol