• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor vs 7mm WSM hunting rifle

VKC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Battle Born, U.S.A.
I'm considering buying a custom hunting rifle in either 6.5 Creedmoor vs 7mm WSM. I'm planning on hunting mostly deer, antelope, coyotes, and the occasional elk.

I'm going to hunt in the Western US, so open country long range shots are possible, but of course I'll take the closer shot when possible.

I already have those calibers in tactical comp rigs, but they are too heavy to pack.

I reload and am familiar with these calibers' ballistics, barrel life, costs reloading etc.

Please stick to these calibers. Which and why? Your advice is appreciated.

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor vs 7mm WSM hunting rifle

For the size game you mentioned the 6.5 Creedmoor seems to be a better option and it it where I'd be looking.

The 7 WSM is a stellar hunting round. Not only are there many bullets to choose, but it certainly fits the bill for all the game you mentioned over extended ranges.

out of those 2

7mm all the way

more energy downrange which is always a good thing to me when things need killing

I'd go 7mm due to the fact that it has more energy for a long shot on an elk and will have less drift, increasing probability of a clean/humane shot.

7mm WSM only because it has more "thump"...

You will be limited on barrel life on the 7mm WSM, I got somewhere around 3000 rounds out of mine and the throat looked like I took a blow torch to it.

One of my best friends hunts with a 6.5-284 and has had excellent success with the round using 140gr Berger Hunting VLD's.

Either round will work well and I think it boils down to whether you want more delivered energy over the 6.5 Creedmor.

7 wizzum...because of the elk.

wsm all the way, better in the wind which means better chance of putting the bullet where you want it on the first round, more energy, larger diameter

Because you said elk, 7wsm all the way due to having more energy.

I think it depends on what you mean by long range -- especially when considering elk. For elk, I think the 6.5 CM will do fine inside 400 yards. You could potentially stretch it out quite a bit farther with the small - medium sized game you mention.

6.5 creedmoor...reach out and touch something.

7mm WSM... reach out and shove something.

i'd do the 7 in your case.

7wsm becouse of the elk. I love the 6.5's but the Elk at a distance the 7mm's have it. I took my Elk at 645 yards with a .264WM so it can be done and shot placement is more important than caliber. But nothing wrong with a little more punch behind the bullet.

Good Luck,

JamieD

JamieD

AI Stocks and Accessories

For the same reasons that JamieD stated, the 7 WSM.

I have both, they're both extremely accurate and the 6.5 CM did just fine on whitetail this season. The characteristically longer shots out west on Elk makes me vote for the 7 WSM here.

Everything else you expect to use it for can be easily done with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Like all situations in hunting, bullet placement is of the utmost importance but "a little more ass" is a good thing.

I've killed an elk with a .264 win mag, but I would rather have the wsm if I was going to shoot elk regularly. I'd pick the creed if you're only going to elk hunt occasionally and focus more on the smaller game you mentioned. 7mm gives you a little more room for error on the bigger deer species.

Shot my elk this year with a .260rem and 140amax. Right through the heart and out the other side did significant damage.

How far away was he Impulse? Elk hunting is where it's at!!!

7mm.does everything 6.5 does only better.more recoil and shorter barrel life but it's a hunting rifle.should last a life time and take any animal on north american continent.

I hunt with a 7WSM on everything you mentioned. Just so many bullet choices and on mule deer and elk I want something bigger than 140 gr, especially at any type of range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CAT5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate to disagree with Mr. Roscoe</div></div>

Good because you didnt
wink.gif

You disagreed with Dave Preston but, I know your 6.5x47L is a pure swine exterminator

To the OP, dont sweat the small stuff...........get one of each and you'll be set.

Thanks for the replies and comments.

So if you go with energy at impact, of course 7mm WSM triumphs the 6.5 Creedmoor. But if you go with minimal velocity for bullet expansion, the 6.5 Creedmoor looks much better with less recoil.

I know what is considered ideal and minimal varies from whom you talk to, but with an ideal energy at impact for elk of 2000 ft-ibs and minimal of 1500 ft-ibs...For the 7mm WSM with 180gr Bergers going 2950fps at muzzle, that gives me an ideal range of within 600 yards and possible range of 950 yards.

But if you look at minimal velocity for adequate bullet expansion of 1800 fps instead. For the 6.5 Creedmoor with 140gr Bergers at 2700fps that gives me a range of 800 yards.

Noted that shot placement is everything, and that I'm limited by my ability, but the above calculations give very different results and conclusions of efficacy.

What is your experience and comments?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impulse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot my elk this year with a .260rem and 140amax. Right through the heart and out the other side did significant damage. </div></div>

I'm interested to hear at what distance too. Also in what conditions, wooded or open country?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamieD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7wsm because of the elk. </div></div>
+1
That would be my choice for a long range Elk rifle.
SScott

I picked the creed...I have shot a lite wsm...Thus my choice! Hunting to me is know where the bullet is going, that means range time with that weapon. 6.5 is plenty for elk, trust me.

I'm not trying to take anything away from 7mm bore but in Europe the 6.5x55 has been used for a LONG time on everything from moose to deer. A 140 grain 6.5mm bullet is more then capable of taking any game in north america.

i took my 260 to Colorado a few weeks ago.

shot a decent 5x5 it worked i killed the elk but i will not take my 260 again on an elk hunt.

i dont live out west, time to get tags, travel cost etc all add up so when i go i dont want to take chances. Elk are big animials and i want to thump them hard. i know little pills in the right spot kill, been there done that

7wsm for me out of the 2, put a little bastard on it and dont worry about recoil, just carry some ear plugs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not trying to take anything away from 7mm bore but in Europe the 6.5x55 has been used for a LONG time on everything from moose to deer. A 140 grain 6.5mm bullet is more then capable of taking any game in north america. </div></div>

There are other posts stating something similar, but I quoted this one just for reference. Any takers on distance limit assuming the shooter is capacity.

Velocity on impact for adequate bullet expansion or energy at impact?...see my prior post. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not trying to take anything away from 7mm bore but in Europe the 6.5x55 has been used for a LONG time on everything from moose to deer. A 140 grain 6.5mm bullet is more then capable of taking any game in north america. </div></div>

There are other posts stating something similar, but I quoted this one just for reference. Any takers on distance limit assuming the shooter is capacity.

Velocity on impact for adequate bullet expansion or energy at impact?...see my prior post. Thanks. </div></div>

Many many times I see the 6.5x55 used for taking moose the hunters are engaging at targets inside of 300-400m

I have the utmost confidence that a well placed 140 Amax from my 6.5 CM will liquify the heart and lungs of an elk at 440yd, but where I'm concerned is that I'm looking at a hunt next year where the average shots push towards double that.

Again, bullet placement is the #1 factor there and my 6.5CM is an excellent rifle to precisely placing a bullet in the field, but the 7 WSM is pushing about 60% more energy on impact at that distance and enough retained velocity to be in the "optimal expansion velocity" realm published by the bullet maker.

I own both the 6.5 and 7wsm. I'm a huge fan of the 6.5mm as I have 3 of them. However, next year when i head out for my elk hunt, it will be my 7wsm that goes with me.

Any comments on how light a 7mm WSM hunting rifle with scope can be to shot relatively comfortably with a muzzle brake? 10 to 11 pounds?

What barrel contour would you pick? Heavy sporter, medium palma or other?

Thanks.

I currently have a winchester classic laminate in 7wsm and it isnt uncomforable to shoot as it sits but with much range time you will start too feel it.

I'm also a 6.5mm fan but for hunting I I'd go with the 7WSM. Never hurts to have a little more than you need rather than a little less.

I would not hesitate for a second to put a 7wsm in a light package with the right brake. I have a Badger thruster on mine and it is a pussycat for the shooter...but a BASTARD to those in the vicinity of the shooter! I would not want to shoot a braked 7 w/o hearing protection.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would not hesitate for a second to put a 7wsm in a light package with the right brake. I have a Badger thruster on mine and it is a pussycat for the shooter...but a BASTARD to those in the vicinity of the shooter! I would not want to shoot a braked 7 w/o hearing protection. </div></div>

I hunted this season with a braked 7WSM and had no issues without hearing protection. I've got a Badger thruster on mine and it's a very light recoiling gun. 19Scout isn't kidding when he calls it a "pussycat."

I shoot a 5.6 lb stw (+scope and ammo) I took the brake off years ago and never
had a thought about putting it back on. You just don't notice recoil in the field.
If you ever pulled the trigger with the brake on and no hearing protection you
would only do it once.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impulse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot my elk this year with a .260rem and 140amax. Right through the heart and out the other side did significant damage. </div></div>

I'm interested to hear at what distance too. Also in what conditions, wooded or open country?</div></div>

Since Impulse hasn't replied and I was with him when he shot his Elk. It was a perfect 430 yard shot on a cold 30 degree morning in wooded mountain terrain. I think he posted a pic some where on here.
I am a big fan of the 6.5CM and 140 amax, but I think I would be pulling the 7mm out If I was headed out on an elk hunt with the thought of possibly taking a shot longer than say 550 yards.

A 7WSM with no hearing protection? This absolutely amazes me. I don't see how y'all do it. I learned the hard way......high freq hearing loss in my left ear.

The 7 allows for additional room for error in the shot. I think it would depend on where the majority of hunting will be and the range most shots will be at. That bein said, I am a big fan of the 6.5's. I have read alot of opinions that state the amazing amount of penatration the little bullet has. The swede's have been killing moose for decades with the 6.5x55

The operative word is occasional for elk. Plus, what are your thoughts about 6.5 Creedmoor allowing for a lighter rifle that would be easier to pack and handle or shoot off-hand? Plus also allowing for shorter barrel than 7mm WSM.

Interesting, I did not think it would favor 7mm WSM by such a large margin.

Im going to be shooting a 7mm Creedmoor after SHOT Show. The rifle will be at SHOT on display at Defiance Machine booth. Ive been shooting a 6 Creedmoor for a month now and am enjoying it quite a bit. I kept telling myself I wouldnt get into these wildcat calibers, but now I cant help it. They are to much fun.