• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5 creedmoor worth a shot?

allghilliedup04

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
Salem, Oregon
So I know 6.5 creedmoor is a new round and was designed as a competition round. I don't know a whole lot about this cartridge so I wanna here the thoughts of those with experience.

how does it do as a hunting cartridge on coyotes/deer/elk?

Also how does is stack up to the classic 308?

Re: 6.5 creedmoor worth a shot?

Lots of threads on the Creedmoor. It's been around for over 4 years now and is very popular. The factory ammo is very accurate and they also make hunting loads for taking game.

The Creedmoor is flatter shooting and better in the wind than the .308 and the factory match ammo is cheaper than alot of the .308 factory match ammo.

Do a search here using the Custom Search Engine to the right. It will give you plenty to read here.

I am wanting to go to the 6.5cm when I rebarrel my 700 it's a 308. I have been looking for months about this round and everything I find just makes me want to get it sooner. And from what I've seen it will be a good hunting round too. If you look at the ballistics the 6.5cm 140 amax will drop about 100 inches less than a 308 168 amax at 1000 yards with less recoil and more fps and energy. So to me its a win win. Hope this helps

I've had two built in the last 2 months and both of them shoot amazing!
I am very pleased with the accuracy of the round. I checked the speed on one yesterday and was getting 2850 avg out of the 140gr A-max with a 26 inch tube.

The groups were around .0250

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of threads on the Creedmoor. It's been around for over 4 years now and is very popular. The factory ammo is very accurate and they also make hunting loads for taking game.

The Creedmoor is flatter shooting and better in the wind than the .308 and the factory match ammo is cheaper than alot of the .308 factory match ammo.

</div></div>

This !
I took the plunge a couple of months ago with a Savage 12 LRP with the H&S precision stock in 6.5 CM and couldn't be happier. Last trip to the range it put 4 rounds into a figure 8 at 100 yards off of bags with factory 140 AMAX.

From 170 yards out I shot my first deer w/ 6.5 Creedmoor. He jumped up in the air then fell over and died.
I also smoked this coyote @360 yards
bUY4q.jpg

M5svlh.jpg

You will like it. lots of the guys a shoot with love em. They all seem to shoot really well. So I had to have one for myself....got Charley Robertson at Scorehigh putting it together..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had two built in the last 2 months and both of them shoot amazing!
I am very pleased with the accuracy of the round. I checked the speed on one yesterday and was getting 2850 avg out of the 140gr A-max with a 26 inch tube.

</div></div>

You do realize .0250 is read in hundreths and not tenths?
That would be pretty small!
Any how, I have been banging away with the 6.5CM for almost four years now and I am very impressed. May be the most accurate rifle I own. And from what I read that may not be a fluke.

How about reloading supplies? Are the reloading dies and brass difficult to find?

What's your mil adjustments at 1000 for one? (I know every rifle is different but it gives me an idea)

Dies are simple and brass was a little hard for a while with the vast popularity of the cartridge taking Hornady a little by surprise but they are much easier to find now. Same with loaded ammo.

Factory 140 AMAX ammo is about 8.2 mils to 1000 from my rifle.

Wow that's two mils less than a 308... does it hit hard at that range and retain energy?

How does it do out of a 20" barrel?

I love mine.
I have one built by Spartan Precision on a R700 action and Bartlien 8.5 twist M40 barrel. It gives me 7.7 mils to 1k and 2.2 for a 10mph full value wind with the Berger 140 VLD's at -300 DA!. I have an APA little bastard on a 26" tube and it feels like a pellet gun.

Great all the way around. I was going to buy dies, but after seeing the results from the Hornady with 140 Amax bullet, I think I'll wait until I have fire 2000 factory loads to start hand loading. At about $25.00 per box, it doesn't seem worth the trouble for now. You will not be sorry. It's a winner in its class.

I wouldn't run a 20". Why neuter the round? Minimum I would run would be 24".

Like George said you can get it to shoot flatter. The factory load is a good place to start but you can work up from there as it's not a hot load.

Shoot4fun, sorry about the type O your right it should read .250 my bad.

one of the groups may have .0250 it was one ragged hole.

Yea I didn't know if it was one of those rounds were you can go shorter and the benifits out weigh the lost velocity. Thanks for all your help I appreciate it!

There are people who have 20" barrels but they either have to live with less velocity or bump up the powder charge to get better velocity. I personally don't like to give up velocity for a few inches of barrel. I have never had a problem swinging my 28" Creedmoor around at matches and that's through obstacles and other tight spaces.

I put one together in a AR-10 with a 24 inch barrel. I took my elk last year at 375 yds with 140gr amax and it performed perfectly. the bullet stopped on the edge of his skin opposite side of his body with great expansion. It is a tack driver too. I since have switched to berger vld 140 gr and my last trip to the range averaged .77 inch groups at 200 yds. My only complaint is I cannot seem to get more than 2750ish fps with 140 gr bullet which reduces my max range for hunting purposes.

With a 24" bolt gun you can get more than that but the gas gun makes it tougher.

I usually prefer shorter barrels I never shoot on "ranges" outside of work just in fields and woods and the extra maneuverability is worth it to me in most cases. Lugging around a heavy long rifle up and down mountains is no fun... that's why I was so curious about the 20" cause I found one for sale.

I am having my built at 20 or 22" since I also need to cary it up and down the hills and am not using it for competition. I will live with the lost of velosity. If it is over the 20-22" range I will not be able to pack it where I need it.

I keep hearing that I need at least 24" but I heard the same thing about the .308 and I have a 18" Gladius and 20" Surgeon Rifle that I will stack up against a lot of longer barreled guns. The 20" Surgeon is a tack driver out past 1100.

So worst case I get wahat I want and find out that I need more and re barrel it in a couple of years. I just talked myself in to a 20" 6.5.

Decoy, the 6.5 isn't a .308. Like I said some people have 20" barreled versions and are happy with them but you have to either push the pressure limit or live with a little less velocity. If you go a little longer then you don't have to push it so hard. Pushing it very hard will take some barrel life. Your money though but something to think about and like I tell all the people who think the "need" a 16 or 18 inch .308, you can always cut a 24" barrel down to 20 or 18 inches if you find the length too long but you can't make a 20" barrel longer
wink.gif

Sold my 22" to a friend and had a 24" built. The 24" has very little velocity over the 22" and very little weight difference. I think the 24" has the advantage at distance, same rifles except 24" barrel is fluted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had two built in the last 2 months and both of them shoot amazing!

</div></div>

What are guys running to get that velocity ? I tried to work up from the factory load (41.5 H4350, 140 AMAX) and got stiff bolt/ejector swype syndrome. I'm around 2750 now with 41.5 H4350 and a 26inch barrel.

I'm on my 2nd 6.5 CM and I kept it at 25 inches. 10 mils at 1100 yards w/ a 0 DA and I think 8.2mils at 1000. This time I did flute the bbl to save a lil bit of weight.

If you have to have it short, I guess so, but I use my in matches and like the 2800ish MV I'm getting. It seems to shoot real flat out to 500. My last one was reaching 500 in 2.4 mils.