• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor

Sportin Wood

Team Hardwood
Minuteman
  • Jul 17, 2010
    The Woods, WA
    I'm in the process of building my 6.5 Creedmoor and I have a few boxes of their 120gr AMAX factory loads, but once those are gone it to the table. I've seen a few loads on here, but they are spread out all over the place. Figured we need a spot for all of them to go. Bullets I'm interested in using are: 130/140 Berger VLD, 120/140 AMAX, 123/139 Scenars, 142 SMK, and 142 Matrix. Haven't decided powder yet, but mostly will go wth H4831sc or H4350.

Re: **6.5 Creedmoor Loads**

24" Krieger 5R barrel
    90 Deg 50%+ Hum
    140 SMK
    2.730" OAL
    42.1 RL-17
    CCI LRM
    2850 FPS

24" Bartlien
    90 Deg 50%+ Hum
    139 Lapua Scenars
    2.820" OAL
    42.5 H4350
    Fed 210M
    2850fps

Krieger barrel was very picky, took lots of load development.

Bartlien barrel(GAP Chambered) will shoot anything you put in it. I backed down to 2850FPS to save brass life.

140 Amax at 2.810" OAL
    41.9gr H4350
    CCI 200 primers
    21.9" barrel

Shoots in the 2's consistently up close and 1/4-1/3 MOA at 600yd, once in a while I get groups at 100 that look like this:

IMG_20110925_162803.jpg

My krieger loved the 41.5 grains of H4350 with 140 amaxs or 142 smks. loaded to factory length in hornady brass with fed 210s. 24" 4 groove 8 twist. good accuracy from 100 yards out to 800 yards. built on a rem 700 action and mcmillan stock. it did not like the lighter 120 grainers as well. i tinkered with some of em, 123 smks, 123 amax 123 lapuas. none really showed any promise.

Does anybody have a load for the 130 Berger VLD or the 130 JLK? How fast are those leaving the muzzle? Are they able to jump a little or do they have to be in the lands, I've heard both?

f704ea1a.jpg

Hornady brass
    130gr VLD'S
    Fed 210 primers
    2.810 OAL
    42. Gr H4350

I hate shooting group. But did some today. New gun, new trigger still getting use to it.
    66 degree's
    93% humid.

28" Bart barrel
    TAC 30 Action
    No Chrono.

More to fallow. I have 140 VLD's reloaded and 140 AMAX's to test as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rangerwalker71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">load testing again today. 130 VLD's, H4350 43gr's is it
    2cc895b1.jpg

5 shot group.
    more to fallow with 140 VLD's
    </div></div>
    Hmmm...might have to work on that one a bit
    wink.gif

I love the 140 Amax so far. Might have to give the VLD's a try. Nice shooting by the way.

Thanks, I have 140 VlD's next and then 140 Amax's as well. I thinking the Amax's for hunting some, and 140 VLDs for pushing out to 1000 yards. I'll update early next week the 140's.

I shot the 140 Amax at 1060 yds today with my Creedmor. They worked great, the Amax is practically a VLD IMO.

Reactions: Pittbull46

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CTressler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot the 140 Amax at 1060 yds today with my Creedmor. They worked great, the Amax is practically a VLD IMO.</div></div>

Factory loads? If not please share

My 6.5 Creedmoor load is 42.6 grns of H4350, 140 Amax, COL is same as factory. The Amax comes out of the 26 inch barrel at 2835, same as factory. I used an Oehler to check the velocities. No signs of pressure, not even a flattened primer. Most of the time I can still make out the B on the CCI Br2 primer after the round has been fired.

Mostly shot the factory 140 load out of a 24" barreled Noveske AR-10. Great results out to 1k.

I find the idea H4350 is too slow in autoloaders laughable, I've never seen a bolt come out of an AR platform so clean in my life.

60* temp, 30% humidity
    Krieger 24" 1-8

140 Berger VLD
    Bullet seated to .030 jump
    CCI BR2
    43.8gr H4350
    no pressure signs

1/4" at 100 yards, now to test out to 850

Chrono at 2870 on a 50 degree day, 35% humidity, 1750'

I've noticed alot of guys are going with the CCI primers. Any reason behind this? I've always used Fed210M's, but with this new Creedmoor, I think I'm going to get a box of the CCI BR2's and test them out.

Reactions: BigBlastin300win

I did some tweaking to my 6.5 Creedmoor load after getting into a new lot of powder and wanting to mess with seating depth
    New load:
    140 A-Max
    CCI BR2
    42.4gr H4350 (velocity = 2827)
    Base to ogive - 2.190"
    COL - 2.805"
    no pressure signs
    groups less then 1/2 moa, sometimes 1/4 moa

Before this I almost gave up on the A-Max because I kept getting two shots that would touch and then a flyer. It seems like the Scenar 139 is gaining favor with many Creedmoor shooters, with this new found success I'll be sticking with the A-Max.

Reactions: jack simpson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CTressler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems like the Scenar 139 is gaining favor with many Creedmoor shooters</div></div>

Where have you heard this??

I've noticed at matches and in talking with people that the Scenar is becoming more prevalent. Just an observation, do you disagree?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CTressler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just an observation, do you disagree? </div></div>

Not at all... I know of a few guys who run the 123 an 139 Scenars out of 6.5x47's, and they love the accuracy. I personally haven't seen anyone around here or in this thread post about using them yet.

RW71,
    Excellent shooting. Do you happen to know your velocity with that load?

Spartan Precision R700 6.5 CM
    25.5" 1/8.5 5R Bartlein M40 #14
    APA little bastard break
    McMillan A3-5
    Phantom finish Cerakote in Coyote Tan

I am shooting the 123 Lapua Scenars with 39.5 of Varget and Fed 210M primers @2880-2900 and the accuracy is outstanding (though somewhat larger groups than RW71's). It holds its own out to 800-900 yards but at 1K it gets pushed around a lot despite what the tables may say. The group below is not uncommon for five shots at 100.

I also had very good results with both wind and accuracy at 1K with Berger 140 VLD's 44.5 of H4350 and Fed 210M primers but the primers would fall out on the next loading. This load did give me all hits on target at 1K in tricky winds
    but it was just too hard on the brass for my budget.

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

My velocity is now 2827 over the Oehler chronograph with a 26" barrel. Thanks for sharing your data George Mac.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CTressler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 140 A-Max
    CCI BR2
    42.4gr H4350 (velocity = 2827)
    Base to ogive - 2.190"
    COL - 2.805"
    no pressure signs
    groups less then 1/2 moa, sometimes 1/4 moa
    </div></div>

Going to load up a test series of this load. Hopefully I can get same accuracy as you have.

Reactions: Sam19kilo

Just another data point from my AI AE Mk3 in 6.5CM with a factory 24" Bartlein barrel.

Factory 140 Amax loaded ammo went over the chronograph at 2775fps avg for 20 rounds and dope out to 600 tracked the chronograph very well. Accuracy was about 1/3 MOA at 300Y.

The same day I tested some handloads with fresh 6.5CM brass, GM210M primers, 140 Amax seated .010 off the lands (2.170 to ogive), and 41.5gr H4350. This was a duplicate of the "on the box" factory load with the exception of the bullets seated out about .025 longer to put them .010" off the lands. These loads averaged 2705fps over the chronograph for 20 rounds and the dope out to 600 tracked the chronographed 2705fps very well. Accuracy of this load was also about 1/3 MOA at 300Y.

The velocity variance between the factory loads and my loads may have been a lot to lot variance of H4350 or as others have noted the factory Hornady loads might really have about 42.4-42.5gr powder instead of the 41.5gr marked on the label. I didn't pull any of the factory ammo to check the charge weights.

Next time I head to the range I'm going to try a little more powder to try to match the velocity of the factory ammo.

I'm really liking the 6.5CM in terms of easy load development, performance, and the availability of very accurate factory ammo. I'm probably going to sell my .308 Armalite AR10 and have GA Precision build me a GAP-10 in 6.5CM. I can't see shooting my .308s much anymore!
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kiba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The velocity variance between the factory loads and my loads may have been a lot to lot variance of H4350 or as others have noted the factory Hornady loads might really have about 42.4-42.5gr powder instead of the 41.5gr marked on the label. I didn't pull any of the factory ammo to check the charge weights.

</div></div>

Hornady loads to a velocity/pressure spec and depending on powder lots it might be more or less than the 41.5grns listed on the box. 41.5grns is a good place to start if handloading the round. You just can't expect them to relist the powder charge evertime for each lot.

Tag...thanks for sharing guys. Looks like the general consensus is save the $ and stick with the Amax's.

This is actually a really good thing for me because I have a buddy who was harassing me for considering Amax over Berger just because of the cost savings.
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tag </div></div>

What he said.

Inthe process of gathering pieces for a 6.5?? Build. Any preferences on bbl twist. I have noticed both 8 & 8.5 tw being used. Just curious what the line of thought was.

It would be nice if Hornady decided to make a 130 Amax.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any preferences on bbl twist. I have noticed both 8 & 8.5 tw being used. Just curious what the line of thought was.</div></div>

I am running a Benchmark Barrels 26" 3gr 8tw to run the heavier bullets. I have been shooting the 142 Matrix VLD's, 140 Bergers, and 140 AMAX's, all around the 1/2moa range. I am still looking for that 1/4oa group that will perform out to distance...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kiba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The velocity variance between the factory loads and my loads may have been a lot to lot variance of H4350 or as others have noted the factory Hornady loads might really have about 42.4-42.5gr powder instead of the 41.5gr marked on the label. I didn't pull any of the factory ammo to check the charge weights.

</div></div>

Hornady loads to a velocity/pressure spec and depending on powder lots it might be more or less than the 41.5grns listed on the box. 41.5grns is a good place to start if handloading the round. You just can't expect them to relist the powder charge evertime for each lot. </div></div>

upon dissassembly of factory 140 amax the charges are averaging 42.4-42.6 gr fwiw. i am averaging 2810-2815 out of my 26" rock 8tw with the factory stuff.

28" Kreiger
    140 Amax
    FGMM 210's
    42.9 H4350
    COAL 2.825 (.007-.010 jump)
    Velocity - 2850
    No pressure at all at 1100 ASL and 80 degree temp.

I found a good node at 42.9 at 100yds, then did a bullet seating test at 500. Started jumping about .025 and decreased jump by .005 for each test. Groups continually got smaller as I approached the lands. Not much difference in .005 and .010 jump, but it was very clear that they like the .005 to .010 area. The groups in the sweet spot were about .5moa smaller than all other groups. 5 shots at 500.
    cm42_9g500.jpg

Reactions: Cuephoric1

I switched from 140 amax to Berger 140 match and 500 yd group dropped from 4 in. to 1.5 in.

Reactions: ACard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any preferences on bbl twist. I have noticed both 8 & 8.5 tw being used. Just curious what the line of thought was.</div></div>

I am running a Benchmark Barrels 26" 3gr 8tw to run the heavier bullets. I have been shooting the 142 Matrix VLD's, 140 Bergers, and 140 AMAX's, all around the 1/2moa range. I am still looking for that 1/4oa group that will perform out to distance... </div></div>

Any luck?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gau17</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any preferences on bbl twist. I have noticed both 8 & 8.5 tw being used. Just curious what the line of thought was.</div></div>

I am running a Benchmark Barrels 26" 3gr 8tw to run the heavier bullets. I have been shooting the 142 Matrix VLD's, 140 Bergers, and 140 AMAX's, all around the 1/2moa range. I am still looking for that 1/4oa group that will perform out to distance... </div></div>

Any luck? </div></div>

Yep. Finally found a great one hole load.

Hornady 6.5CM Brass
    142gr Matrix VLD
    42.5gr H4350
    Fed210M
    .010 off lands

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gau17</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any preferences on bbl twist. I have noticed both 8 & 8.5 tw being used. Just curious what the line of thought was.</div></div>

Any luck? </div></div>

Yep. Finally found a great one hole load.

Hornady 6.5CM Brass
    142gr Matrix VLD
    42.5gr H4350
    Fed210M
    .010 off lands
    </div></div>

Thank you. Please keep us posted on how the load performs @ long distance.

Reactions: Cuephoric1

anyone using the 140 berger hybrids yet? i know they are hard to get just wondering what the groups were like compared to the almighty 140 amax... ?? post pics and data if you have it!

Reactions: Gabranch

With everyone's input thus far, is the factory ammo worth focusing on or are the hand load results far better?
    My build will be complete soon and I was looking to shoot the factory ammo. I'd like consistent results. I have 400 rounds in the cabinet already. if I need to buy dies, I can move that way too.
    I'd appreciate the opinions.

SP

Reactions: barron123