• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoore AR10 build suggestions

asphaltcowboychip

Private
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2020
I'm in the planning stages of building a "high end" 6.5 AR10. I have a few components that I'm rock solid on, however I would like input on all components.

The budget im working with is 3k. The barrel length i am wanting is 20". What i am interested in getting input in is the strongest, lightest, components with the best tolerances. I want at minimum 1 MOA accuracy.

The upper/lower receiver sets I've been looking at are Noveske, and Areo.

The barrels Proof or Christiansan Arms ..either would be carbon wrapped.

Trigger Geissele.

Stock magpul PRS

BCG and Buffer: ??

Appreciate the input in advance.

I'm in the planning stages of building a "high end" 6.5 AR10. I have a few components that I'm rock solid on, however I would like input on all components.

The budget im working with is 3k. The barrel length i am wanting is 20". What i am interested in getting input in is the strongest, lightest, components with the best tolerances. I want at minimum 1 MOA accuracy.

The upper/lower receiver sets I've been looking at are Noveske, and Areo.

The barrels Proof or Christiansan Arms ..either would be carbon wrapped.

Trigger Geissele.

Stock magpul PRS

BCG and Buffer: ??

Appreciate the input in advance.

I could’ve sworn Noveske only sold their small frame receivers separate from full rifles. I was looking this up the other day but maybe I missed them. I’d be inclined to choose the Noveske given your two options. The Aero doesn’t suck. If you can find a Mega at a good deal, I would recommend picking it up.

I’ve had good succes with Proof in two separate gas rifles.

JP Rifles for BCG and buffer. Specifically the silent captured spring setup. The proof barrels are headspaced to the JP bolts.

For the price of a Geissele maybe peak at a Triggertech adaptable. Not meaning to say your choice is bad.

Reactions: asphaltcowboychip
Looks like I have a rabbit hole to go down. The ARC looks like a viable option for sure.

Noveske has N6 matched receiver sets. Ive always been a fanboi of their offerings.

Aero M5 receiver set with their Atlas S-One handguard. You won't find a sleeker feeling setup. I have built up 4 of them and all worked very well. Only thing you have to watch for is clearance of the gas block. The 6.5 has very high port pressure and you will need an adjustable block for sure...just make sure the one you want will clear. Have hundreds of rounds behind a cheap Brownell's Nitride BCG and it has worked fine. LaRue 2 stage trigger feels great, especially for the price. Do get an upgraded buffer spring...a good flat wound or beefed up 3 wire unit. My latest 6.5 with a 22" Criterion barrel is a 1/2" shooter.

$3k?? LMT MWS. Pretty good 2 stage trigger or swap it for whatever flavor you like. I have the LMT DMR stock which is similar to the Magpul PRS and is super comfy. If you require CF barrels then you'd need them sent to someone to have the extension fabbed. Can be found used in the PX for under $2500. Some with multiple barrels. Just had mine out yesterday. She's a heavy beast but sexy as a MOFO!

$3k?? LMT MWS. Pretty good 2 stage trigger or swap it for whatever flavor you like. I have the LMT DMR stock which is similar to the Magpul PRS and is super comfy. If you require CF barrels then you'd need them sent to someone to have the extension fabbed. Can be found used in the PX for under $2500. Some with multiple barrels. Just had mine out yesterday. She's a heavy beast but sexy as a MOFO!
Good luck finding one in stock anywhere

Reactions: Cmb1025
Just finished building an Aero set. The M5 uppers and lowers are very nice, especially for the price. I’m pretty sure we built this entire gun for something around $1200 w/ a decent (triggertech) trigger and a few left over small bits. Great value.

still hoping I can get some feedback on carbon wrapped 6.5 Creedmore barrels.

If you have to go carbon get the proof. Significantly better quality control barrel to barrel. Christiansen seems to be “I hope I get a good one”.

Otherwise a Bartlein barrel spun up from the guys at Craddock precision would be the direction I would give a serious look.

I built mine on an Aero M5 set. The upper with a monolithic rail attachment. The fit and finish is excellent. I used a triggertech trigger. JP silent capture spring (heavy buffer), Rubber city armory BCG (excellent stuff), bartlein barrel, superlative arms gas block.

If you have to go carbon get the proof. Significantly better quality control barrel to barrel. Christiansen seems to be “I hope I get a good one”.

Otherwise a Bartlein barrel spun up from the guys at Craddock precision would be the direction I would give a serious look.

I built mine on an Aero M5 set. The upper with a monolithic rail attachment. The fit and finish is excellent. I used a triggertech trigger. JP silent capture spring (heavy buffer), Rubber city armory BCG (excellent stuff), bartlein barrel, superlative arms gas block.

Appreciate the response. What about barrel length, gas tube setup ?

6.5 Grendel is also an excellent choice if you want to stay in a small frame AR. Wolf produces steel case ammunition in that caliber for practice/plinking.

it’s very good. Without any load development (just using the same loads I use for my RPR) it’s shooting well under moa @ 100. Likes the cheap s&b stuff pretty well, too.

Awesome, congrats! What barrel did you end up going with?

still hoping I can get some feedback on carbon wrapped 6.5 Creedmore barrels.
I have a 6.5CM 20" carbon barrel on a blueprinted 700 action. Shoots in the . 5's regularly with Hornady ELDM 140's.

I also have a 6.5 gasser 20" rifle length steel proof built on a matched Aero set. I started with the JP lo mass and silent captured spring with an adjustable gas block.
I had all kinds of problems getting it to cycle. I tried 3 different bolt combinations, buffers, springs, ammo, everything that I could think of.
I finally talked to Proof and they said that the 20" 6.5CM rifle gas system doesn't have enough dwell time to generate the pressure needed to cycle properly. They recommended drilling out the gas port.
Finally, after more frustration trying a few more things, I ordered a pack of #44 cobalt bits and drilled out the gas port. Works fine now. Shoots like my bolt gun.

22" Aero barrel

Hypertouch trigger

44 drill bit,

SLR adjustable gas block

PSA upper / lower

Luth

Zeiss V6

Toolcraft bolt.

Runs like a Rolex

Last edited:
20200802_171544.jpg

Try to save on the less important parts like the receiver sets. Noveske is overpriced and Aero does a great job! Proof research obviously makes great barrels. I believe availability to be a big issue right now so you will have to dig. I didn't see you mention a scope. What are your plans regarding that?

I’m late to this thread, but +1 for Mega MaTen receiver set. I just bought a set with the NML-14 upper/hanguard combo earlier this week and it’s nice!
67AE2AF6-66EF-4C03-8980-7506275412C1.jpeg

Reactions: mercervillerental