• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmor $300 barrel budget, What would you buy?

ThatGuy2

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2019
300$ barrel budget for a 6.5 Creedmoor build that can reach out to 1000yds. (mainly for a range gun )

What length and make would you buy ?

Thank you for your reply

Ballistic Advantage barrel. They are extremely accurate for the price. Down side is the weight. Go 22 or 24inch. I put a 22 inch in a aeroprecision receiver set and it shot groups you could cover with a dime at 100 yards with factory hornady ammo.

Wilson Combat has very good pricing for another day or two. Only have one of their 6.5 Grendels to compare, but is settling in nicely after about 75 rounds.

Reactions: Simonsza1
I've got two 6.5 CM rifles with Ballistic Advantage barrels and both are sub moa capable. On occasion I can squeeze out a sub half moa group using handloads in the 22 inch, but more typically it shoots in the .5 to .7 moa range. That 22 inch is a heavy bugger, but I'm not lugging it around. One is the 22 inch and the other is their fluted 18 inch.

Ballistic Advantage barrel. They are extremely accurate for the price. Down side is the weight. Go 22 or 24inch. I put a 22 inch in a aeroprecision receiver set and it shot groups you could cover with a dime at 100 yards with factory hornady ammo.

Check out Columbia river arms. They have 30% off right now until aug 7 falling under your 300 limit and they use polygonal rifling. If I wasn’t so broke I’d be taking advantage of their sale and getting either a 17-223 or 204 ruger. I want a 6.5 creedmore but would need enough for the receivers and parts kit too, I have spare ar15 stuff though.

Ballistic Advantage 22”. Mine consistently produces groups under 3/4moa, even with factory ammo, and routinely produces groups under .5moa with handloads.

Reactions: Docsherm and AMP!
stevieb92, how much actual discernible difference in "feel weight" did that fluted barrel make? Did you notice any real heating/cooling difference between the non-fluted and fluted and effect on groups opening up?

Another vote for the BA barrels. I’ve had 5 now, one being a 22” fluted in 6.5 CM. They have all shot sub MOA with factory hornady. Working on testing some hand loads later this week.

The 22” is heavy but most long range precision rigs are. Either buy them from primary arms or other retailers, or wait for a good sale.

Reactions: Docsherm
stevieb92, how much actual discernible difference in "feel weight" did that fluted barrel make? Did you notice any real heating/cooling difference between the non-fluted and fluted and effect on groups opening up?

Well, that's a little difficult to assess. The 22 inch is a non-fluted, heavy barrel with a .936 gas block journal. The 18 inch fluted barrel is also considered a heavy profile, but with a .875 gas block journal. To complicate matters, the rifles I've got them mounted on are built quite different. The 22 inch is mounted in a Mega Arms MKM set with a mega extended rail and a Magpul PRS stock. The 18 inch is mounted in a Aero Precision receiver set with a 15 inch key mod enhanced rail using a Magpul UBR gen 2 stock. The 18 inch rifle is much more carry friendly without a doubt. I haven't shot much with the 18 inch to see how well it holds up to long strings of fire, but the 22 inch does really well with long strings and I don't see the groups opening up.

This pic is when I had the SLR handguard.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewthebrave
Criterion 22" Hybrid Nitrated SS... a little more then your budget, but... ( And I flubbed the flyer... rookie move. )

Full disclosure... upper receiver face lapped "true" , barrel Loctited in, Adj. GB ( SLR ) 9.3oz 308 rifle buffer, Tubbs 308 flatwire recoil spring, Lantac Muzzle Brake.
Fired off the bench, scoped , bagged front and rear

bcs1wiqa-606179.jpg

I was planning on building a mid-weight build with a Faxon fluted 20" (~40 oz), but when I saw that 18" Craddock with Rifle+1 gas on sale I figured it was too good a deal to pass up. I would have bought the 22" +2 gas if they weren't sold out. It's heavier than I was initially planning - I saw someone else say it was 56 ounces (a full pound more than the 20" Faxon Fluted) - but I won't mind if it shoots.

Compared to the 20" I was looking at, I'm probably giving up about 40-60 fps depending on the load. Versus a 22", it might be around 100 fps lost. I can live with that. This is my first AR10 build, and I figure if I REALLY want to get into long range shooting, I'll go with a bolt action 24" chassis.

300$ barrel budget for a 6.5 Creedmoor build that can reach out to 1000yds. (mainly for a range gun )

What length and make would you buy ?

Thank you for your reply

I would look at Ballistic Advantage. Their barrels will do everything that you want and not break the bank. Look at their 24" 6.5 here:

Ballistic Advantage

20190723_204756.jpg

I have the 22" one and got the pinned gas block. It is a freaking laser.

Last edited:
I have a BA 18in barrel that shot 1/2 moa with the mid length gas tube that I took of my rifle because I got a deal on a BSF carbon 18in. and wanted to lighten up my rifle a bit. it is for sale if your interested pm $145 shipped.

Reactions: Docsherm
+1 on criterion.

Call them and ask for Michael. I was talking to him the other day and he will give you a lot of pointers.

I’ve had really good luck with Wilson barrels from ragged hole. $170 shipped, lapped 27”. Both of mine will shoot 1/4moa

My LiveFreeArmory 308AR came with a BA Government Profile 308 18" and shot every ammo I put in it 1" or better even Hornady American Whitetail SP. I sold that the upper to a local and ran into him a few months ago he pulled a load dev target out and showed me a sub .4" 5 shot group. So while I can't attest to BA 6.5 barrels I can for 308....doesn't surprise me the 6.5 is this was as well. That guy made a believer out of me for stupid crazy accuracy with hand loads, but even all factory was 1" or better in my hands. If I ever build a 6.5 it's BA all the way.

Wilson combat has BLACK friday sales going on. I picked up a 20" 6.5 cm Super sniper Fluted for $267

Criterion 22" Hybrid Nitrated SS... a little more then your budget, but... ( And I flubbed the flyer... rookie move. )

Full disclosure... upper receiver face lapped "true" , barrel Loctited in, Adj. GB ( SLR ) 9.3oz 308 rifle buffer, Tubbs 308 flatwire recoil spring, Lantac Muzzle Brake.
Fired off the bench, scoped , bagged front and rear

View attachment 7121643
Well, that's a little difficult to assess. The 22 inch is a non-fluted, heavy barrel with a .936 gas block journal. The 18 inch fluted barrel is also considered a heavy profile, but with a .875 gas block journal. To complicate matters, the rifles I've got them mounted on are built quite different. The 22 inch is mounted in a Mega Arms MKM set with a mega extended rail and a Magpul PRS stock. The 18 inch is mounted in a Aero Precision receiver set with a 15 inch key mod enhanced rail using a Magpul UBR gen 2 stock. The 18 inch rifle is much more carry friendly without a doubt. I haven't shot much with the 18 inch to see how well it holds up to long strings of fire, but the 22 inch does really well with long strings and I don't see the groups opening up.

This pic is when I had the SLR handguard.

Have you had a chance to get behind the 18" gun? I plan on running a 18" gun. I am going a different route. I don't want a barrel over 20"

Have you had a chance to get behind the 18" gun? I plan on running a 18" gun. I am going a different route. I don't want a barrel over 20"

Yes, I've been extremely happy with the 18 inch barrel. It shoots about the same as my 22 inch barreled rifle. Note, I didn't do a dedicated load development for it, just shot the same load that I developed in the 22 inch. I haven't noticed any issues other than my ammo needs to be reloaded more often because I'm shooting more... lol

Reactions: JHARPE40
Yes, I've been extremely happy with the 18 inch barrel. It shoots about the same as my 22 inch barreled rifle. Note, I didn't do a dedicated load development for it, just shot the same load that I developed in the 22 inch. I haven't noticed any issues other than my ammo needs to be reloaded more often because I'm shooting more... lol
That’s cool can’t wait to get my setup going. What glass are you using? I saw your setup didn’t have a chance to look at everything though. Just curious what gr bullet are you shooting

X2
I have had luck with Ballistic Advantage as well.

18" 6.5CM Criterion....Not yet, I just got mine about a month ago. To many AR builds in the fire.... maybe I will start the assm. tomorrow.

That’s cool can’t wait to get my setup going. What glass are you using? I saw your setup didn’t have a chance to look at everything though. Just curious what gr bullet are you shooting

I'm current'y using a Vortex PST Gen 2 3-15x44 FFP mrad on the 18 inch 6.5 CM rifle. Shooting the Hornady 140 BTHP using handloaded ammo.