• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creedmore reload problems

Dale707

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2017
I just started reloading 6.5 creedmore and having multiple problems with first batch. First thing is they aren't feeding right. Thay jam half way and i have to pull bolt back slighty then forward this gets round to chamber. Round hard chambering , bolt hard to push the last 1/8" and hard to close. Ejects fine. Second problem is theres burn marks on neck and heavy burn ring at bottom of neck. I'm using once fired hornady brass, full length sizing, cci primers. I trimmed cases, and started at lower end of powder scale. I also loaded 2 different bullets and 2 different powders with same results. Bullets were hornady match, and burger hybrid, powders were hybrid vl100, and hmr4350. I'm shooting a burguera bmp.

Case trim length is 1.910 and rechecked after chamfering., and coal is 2.800". Both numbers came straight from berger and hornady reload manuals. I checked factory hornady amerin gunner rounds which i get a 1moa at 100yrds with and the coal was any where from 2.780to 2.810.

Most importantly how far did you bump your shoulder back? Did you measure your once fired brass with a case headspace gauge? Then check your sized brass ensuring it's .003-.005 smaller?

Yes, but i used a gauge that a friend gave me and it is well used. Not sure if they get worn out or not. I will buy a new one in the morning and recheck. I've been reloading lots of different calibers for awhile, but still have a ton to learn. And i really appreciate the help.

What are you using to seat the bullets? A standard seater die? Did you adjust it so it doesn't crimp? You prolly buckled the case and now it's bigger in diameter and hard to chamber.

Yes, but i used a gauge that a friend gave me and it is well used. Not sure if they get worn out or not. I will buy a new one in the morning and recheck. I've been reloading lots of different calibers for awhile, but still have a ton to learn. And i really appreciate the help.

The gauge is just a point of reference, not an exact measuring tool so its fine. You haven't answered my question with exact numbers...

1. What sizing die and seating die are you using?

2. What did your brass that has already been fired in your gun measure with your case headspace gauge before sizing with primer removed??? (ex. 1.644")

3. You then setup your Full Length sizing die, lubed your brass and ran it in the die, wiped it off and measured it? What was the number after running it in the die?

4. You kept lubing and running the brass into the die, adjusting the die down further each time in small increments and measuring after each time until your sized brass measured somewhere in the .003-.005 range smaller than the number you wrote down in step #1 above?? (ex. 1.644 - .003 = 1.641" final sized brass measurement)

Second Scenario

1. You used an overall length gauge or the dummy round method to find the distance to lands with the bullet your reloading with before starting to reload for this rifle and you have that number recorded down somewhere?

2. When loading your first rounds you adjusted your seating die so that your handloads are measuring somewhere in the .01-.02 under the number you wrote down in step #1 above?

3. Your taking these cartridge length numbers from the Base to Ogive using a bullet comparator, not measuring COAL (Base to Tip)??

These 3 tools paired with a good set of calipers and following the steps above will fix the issue your having 99% of the time and allow you to safely create quality ammo.

Hornady Overall Length Gauge $32.99
Hornady 6.5cm modified case $6.19 (You need to have one of these for each caliber you reload for)
Hornady Case Headspace Kit $37.99
Hornady Bullet Comparator Complete Set $50.99 (Or you can buy just the comparator body and .264 insert for $25 but will need to buy inserts and pay shipping for each additional caliber you reload for. Better off in the long run just getting the set)

Last edited:
I just started reloading 6.5 creedmore and having multiple problems with first batch. First thing is they aren't feeding right. Thay jam half way and i have to pull bolt back slighty then forward this gets round to chamber. Round hard chambering , bolt hard to push the last 1/8" and hard to close. Ejects fine. Second problem is theres burn marks on neck and heavy burn ring at bottom of neck. I'm using once fired hornady brass, full length sizing, cci primers. I trimmed cases, and started at lower end of powder scale. I also loaded 2 different bullets and 2 different powders with same results. Bullets were hornady match, and burger hybrid, powders were hybrid vl100, and hmr4350. I'm shooting a burguera bmp.

First, what were shooting before you started reloading, you say once fired?
2nd, your feeding issues may have nothing to do with your reloads, cases get hung up going from ramps, mag lips, etc,,
3rd,Try seating a bullet 40-50 thou deeper into the case and see if that chambers.
4th, a pic of the burn on necks would help, most likely carbon, not like a case burn on a pistol case in a revolver, and like mentioned, most likely an over bump and not sealing, sometimes too much neck tension can do the same, also if charge is book starting loads, not enough powder in the case would not let it expand enough giving the same look.

So basically give us your load.

It's been my experience that the 100v hybrid powder simply burns really really sooty comparative to varget or h4350. .. no matter what the charge.
what action are you shooting? Mag Fed? Savages tend to feed like hell if that's what you've got.

Padom
Sorry not sure how to includ​​​​​​e your message with my reply.
Rcbs match dies. Brass shot first out of my ruger precision rifle, but full length resized for reload.i did miss several steps you mentioned. I'll go back and follow your steps and let you know.

Demolitionman,
I'm shooting a burguera bmp, bolt action, magagine fed. I do have vargit I'll try after i fix my cas problem.

If this is a feeding issue what kind of magazine system are you running?

Just a thought.

If you'll note the differences in shoulder diameter and distance from the rim to the shoulder you'll see there is a small difference in taper. In a single stack or centerfeed magazine where both feed lips are holding the case, it will feed okay. If you are feeding from a stagger feed type magazine the difference in taper tends to make the 6.5 Creedmoor not align with the follower and feed lips. The case is being held between one feed lip or rail and another case. Since both cases have the small difference it doubles the taper. What happens typically is the case rim falls below the bolt face as you run it back.

If you are doing this on a .30-06 or .308 based action the .260 Rem is the same taper as the 30-06 and so is the .308. Even though they are shorter the .454" dia. shoulder matches where it would fall on an '06 case at that distance. This is true of .25-06, .270 and .280 or any other wildcat where the shoulder is not blown out. Had the same problem with every Ackley I've owned as well. they may one and twosie feed but not a full mag.

Last edited:
See if the sized brass chambers before looking at seating procedure. Depending on the guage you have, you may be able to set shoulder setback with it. Does in have a low step on top that's large enough to get a feeler gage in there?

Sorry just got back to my bench. Head space is good. The one thing i found is i crushed the shoulder a tiny bit. Where the shoulder meets the body. At the closest point of body to shoulder is .15 wider in diameter than a factory round. Not sure what i did. Either i didn't size right or i have a bad die. Probably me I'm sure.

If this is a feeding issue what kind of magazine system are you running?

Just a thought.

If you'll note the differences in shoulder diameter and distance from the rim to the shoulder you'll see there is a small difference in taper. In a single stack or centerfeed magazine where both feed lips are holding the case, it will feed okay. If you are feeding from a stagger feed type magazine the difference in taper tends to make the 6.5 Creedmoor not align with the follower and feed lips. The case is being held between one feed lip or rail and another case. Since both cases have the small difference it doubles the taper. What happens typically is the case rim falls below the bolt face as you run it back.

If you are doing this on a .30-06 or .308 based action the .260 Rem is the same taper as the 30-06 and so is the .308. Even though they are shorter the .454" dia. shoulder matches where it would fall on an '06 case at that distance. This is true of .25-06, .270 and .280 or any other wildcat where the shoulder is not blown out. Had the same problem with every Ackley I've owned as well. they may one and twosie feed but not a full mag.

Single stack mag. That sounds like what its doing as far as round feeding below bolt.

Single stack mag. That sounds like what its doing as far as round feeding below bolt.

Single stacks aren't usually the problem, but they can be. Like I said, it didn't sound like you had a reloading problem, the feed problem seemed to be magazine related. FWIW, I'm figuring out how to make mine work better too.

Anyhow, checking the follower, is it free all the way down? Or is it catching on something. Just a little catch, or hitch, not necessarily something stopping the follower from coming up. Is this a polymer mag or metal? Metal you can teak a little, polymer you might have to GENTLY file a little off the inside of the front of the lips. You would only need to take .005' off each side tapered off to the back, where you wouldn't be taking any.

I'll check for any catch points. They are polymer. I checke feed problem with 5 different mags. Same brand but some are 5 rounds rest are ten rounds. Same problem with all. Its a bergara so only takes one style mag.

Sorry just got back to my bench. Head space is good. The one thing i found is i crushed the shoulder a tiny bit. Where the shoulder meets the body. At the closest point of body to shoulder is .15 wider in diameter than a factory round. Not sure what i did. Either i didn't size right or i have a bad die. Probably me I'm sure.

See 918v's post 7.

See 918v's post 7.

Yes i crimped them, and and after putting a micrometer on them it looks like i crushed the shoulder. Its .15 larger than factory ammo. So even it it has a cannelure i shouldn't crimp?

You're crimping too much (I probably wouldn't crimp at all). Back the seater out. Insert case and lower die till it touches the mouth. Back die out 1/2 to 1 turn. Adjust seating stem to set OAL. If you want to crimp, back the seating stem out a couple turns and lower the die a little at a time to apply crimp (not much). Then readjust the seating stem. Better yet, don't crimp. Edit: If you do crimp, make sure all cases are trimmed to the same length.

Ok I'll do that and not crimp. Next question is can i save the cases I've already screwed up if i start over with them? Rookie mistake on my part, but i prepped extra cases before finding out i had a problem.

I really appreciate all the help from everyone. Thank you.

Ok, so i pulled bullets out of the rest of the reloads, resized and they were good. Then reloaded a few and they feed fine. It was a crushed shoulder. Problem seems to be resolved. Sunday I'll go to the range and test before loading anymore. Once again thank you everyone for the help. Have been reading this forum for awhile I'm glad i finally joined. Will post results sunday after range.

Problem solved. Reoads fed and shot great, no bolt hangup.
Thank you