• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 GAP 4S build questions

excaliber551

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2013
SW Idaho
I'm going to have a rifle built (6.5 GAP 4S) I read through all 109 pages on the long post here and everything else I could find here and elsewhere also.

One thing that isn't clear is the action length used. GAP's Templar Short Action Hunter action is used for their Extreme Hunter build in 6.5 GAP builds. When I go to the Defiance site it says the short action is a Rem 7 Model length action.

Defiance shows a Medium action which is the same length as a Rem 700 short action.

Defiance also shows a XM action which is an intermediate length action. Which is the right action? I would think it would be one of the last two.

I keep reading about WSM actions. Aren't these just short actions with a magnum bolt face or am I missing something here?

It seems like almost all of the people shooting these rifles are using DBM setups .

I want to be able to use a BDL type setup without having the protruding mag or removable mags. I don't like the mag sticking out the bottom of the rifle. It's just my preference.

Can anyone recommend a BDL setup that works with the right action for this build? I read I need a 338 follower as the 300 WM follower has a bump in it that needs to be removed.

Can these be stagger fed or do they need to be single stacked?

Thanks

I'm going to have a rifle built (6.5 GAP 4S) I read through all 109 pages on the long post here and everything else I could find here and elsewhere also.

One thing that isn't clear is the action length used. GAP's Templar Short Action Hunter action is used for their Extreme Hunter build in 6.5 GAP builds. When I go to the Defiance site it says the short action is a Rem 7 Model length action.

Defiance shows a Medium action which is the same length as a Rem 700 short action.

Defiance also shows a XM action which is an intermediate length action. Which is the right action? I would think it would be one of the last two.

I keep reading about WSM actions. Aren't these just short actions with a magnum bolt face or am I missing something here?

It seems like almost all of the people shooting these rifles are using DBM setups .

I want to be able to use a BDL type setup without having the protruding mag or removable mags. I don't like the mag sticking out the bottom of the rifle. It's just my preference.

Can anyone recommend a BDL setup that works with the right action for this build? I read I need a 338 follower as the 300 WM follower has a bump in it that needs to be removed.

Can these be stagger fed or do they need to be single stacked?

Thanks

You'll want what Defiance calls a "medium" action. It does get confusing. Especially when retailers list a Defiance "short action" on their website when it's, in fact, a Defiance medium action. I went through the same thing when I ordered my first Deviant tactical from Bugholes. The tip off is usually the description- if you read Defiance short action and "700 Remington footprint" you'll know you've got the right one. But, just to be safe, check with the seller that it's a 700 footprint version that Defiance calls their "medium" action.

For a 6.5. SAUM you'll need to get an action with a "magnum" or .540" bolt face.

I don't think you need anything special to run BDL bottom metal with any Defiance action EXCEPT the Deviant Tactical model - it's designed specifically for DBM. I know that Defiance makes a XM bottom metal, for their Rebel XM action; but I'm not certain it's required that you use their bottom metal even for that action - it's pretty pricey compared to most BDL style bottom metal. You could reach out to Defiance for clarification on that. If I were building a pure hunting rifle, I'd take a look at the Deviant Hunter action: [video]https://bulletcentral.com/defiance-actions-bullet-central/[/video] L Those guys seem to have some actions in stock that'll work for you..

Hope this helps a bit.

-Nick

Last edited:
Defiance XM action
Or just buy a Rem 700 WSM or RSAUM and have it blueprinted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After talking to Norm at Defiance I am going to order a Defiance Deviant Hunter XM action with their BDL bottom metal.

Thanks for your help.

might want to look at the newer Hornady 6.5 PRC. very similar to the saum, but it was setup to be better in top loader rifles rather than DBM rifles.

Reactions: schmi015
Go with the defiance XM action or the new Lone peak action that’s the same size as the XM. The Mags for the XM are just coming out. Being able to run the 6.5 SAUM longer will give you the option of more speed!

A question for someone who knows or has an xm action. What is the maximum length cartridge that will feed in to the action and what is the the longest live round that the action will despence? I have a medium length action that will accept/load a live round out to 3.2 inches long, but get this, can only despence a live round only as long as 1.96. I either shoot it or I have to slam open the action until the brass pops out of the extractor claw and then I can widggy it out. Make sense to any of you?

I use a R700 Long Action. For feeding I use Magpul AICS 300WM Mags. At first they did not feed properly. I removed the spring and stretched it out a bit and have never had a single issue since. My Gunsmith had to relieve material on the bolt raceway to allow the fat SAUM case to feed. My understanding is that it would work just fine with a regular BDL setup. Not sure if a different follower for the BDL approach is needed.

Attachments

• 20190928_182905.jpg
    20190928_182905.jpg
    660.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20190928_183505.jpg
    20190928_183505.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: Vargmat