• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5 Gas Gun Build ***I have no idea what im doing***

usda_beef

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2017
Like the title says, Ive never been into precision shooting, this is something i want to get into and learn about. Ive also have never built and AR. Ive shot plenty of semi-auto rifles, but have never built an AR. So im making my greatest attempt at building a 6.5 gas gun. Ill use this thread to track the rifles progress and provide a parts list to what im building. Id also like to add that none of this could have been achieved without Padom's help. Hes been answering my nonsensical questions for days to get me through the process of ordering parts.
P.S.- Hes a really patient guy.

My goal is to hopefully get into a few local matches with this rifle and maybe PRS new gas gun series in spring.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

So far this is the parts list, Ive yet to pick out or determine what ill need in terms of a optic or mount.

*Prices Listed may include shipping and taxes*
SLR 16inch solo rail MLOK - $283
JP buffer Spring - $22
Ergo Grip - $39
Geissele SDE - $185
DPMS buffer tube - $26
DPMS buffer 308 - $20
SLR Sentry 9 clamp on adjustable Gas Block - $117
White Oak +2 gas tube - $18
Aero Upper and Lower m5 gen 2 - $210
Aero Upper & Lower Parts - $59
Magpul PRS - $217
Aero 308 ambi charging handle - $77
JP Barrel and BCG
----------------------------------------------------
Current Total - $2165
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading, Ill have pictures uploaded as soon as the parts are in.

Last edited:
With the price you're paying for the Rainer barrel have you thought about going with a JP Precision barrel? It's only about $50.00 more and you get a high pressure bolt headspaced for the barrel.

With the length your rifle is going to be I would ask about cases for carrying it around. I have the Cannae Triplex Acies bag which is 44" long. My large frame AR with 22" barrel, brake and the Magpul PRS Gen 2 stock just barely fits in it even with the stock at its shortest length. So you'll need something a little longer than that.

Seems like an awfully high price for a production barrel. That money can get you a custom from a known smith.

I would agree, that price for their new Mod2 barrel is high..Can get a JP barrel with bolt or a cut rifled Bartlein for about $40 more ...

interested to see how their new Mod2 barrel shoots though. Rainier has given me a credit to test one but haven't done so yet.

I haven't actually ordered the barrel and bcg yet. But I'm guessing since I've already ordered that gas block I'm kinda locked in. Unless a custom barrel would fit my gas block without having to return it.

Would a custom barrel come cerakoted black? I don't like the look of polished stainless steel and I'm not sure on satin.

Edit: I just looked at the jp barrel and it is the same size gas block.

https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSM6.5C-22M8XL

I don't know what to choose now lol.

Last edited:
I would go with the JP barrel which comes with the headspaced bolt if you dont want a waiting period and just want the barrel right away... Then all you have to buy is the JP LMOS carrier, minus the bolt. Otherwise, I would call Josh at Patriot Valley Arms or John at Keystone Accuracy and have them spin you up a 22" Bartlein 6.5cm with +2 gas and whatever gas tenon your gas block is. When having a barrel spun up they can make the gas tenon anysize you want. You will wait for this though, and even longer if you want it cerakoted black....They both have spun me up 6.5cm AR10 barrels and they both are shooters~~

With the price you're paying for the Rainer barrel have you thought about going with a JP Precision barrel? It's only about $50.00 more and you get a high pressure bolt headspaced for the barrel.

^This, an SLR gas block a JP carrier (standard or low mass) and a SCS (especially if you are going low mass).

I would go with the JP barrel which comes with the headspaced bolt if you dont want a waiting period and just want the barrel right away... Then all you have to buy is the JP LMOS carrier, minus the bolt. Otherwise, I would call Josh at Patriot Valley Arms or John at Keystone Accuracy and have them spin you up a 22" Bartlein 6.5cm with +2 gas and whatever gas tenon your gas block is. When having a barrel spun up they can make the gas tenon anysize you want. You will wait for this though, and even longer if you want it cerakoted black....They both have spun me up 6.5cm AR10 barrels and they both are shooters~~

Sweet thanks I'll give them a call in the morning. I want to get this all done before I get demolished by Hurricane irma lol.

Its serving no purpose other than making it black for you. I stopped coating barrels years ago after realizing your just wasting money with barrels being replaced frequently. Unless your building a safe queen that you aren't gonna shoot much I would leave it. Barrels are commodities, you shoot them out and replace them.

Its serving no purpose other than making it black for you. I stopped coating barrels years ago after realizing your just wasting money with barrels being replaced frequently. Unless your building a safe queen that you aren't gonna shoot much I would leave it. Barrels are commodities, you shoot them out and replace them.

It's definitely not going to be a safe queen.

^^THIS^^ I only coat barrels on my hunting rifles these days.

Where the hell are you guys getting the H4350 to shoot the 6.5 CM??? I know there are other options but nothing compares to temp stability and accuracy you get from H4350.

OP, if you haven't already picked up those parts I would recommend buying one of those LaRue Builders kits, it would be a good learning kit for you for learning the anatomy of the AR platform, and it is super simple to assemble. LaRue makes a DPMS version I'm sure you could find a Aero M5 lower for about $200.00 and the LaRue 22" 6.5CM Builders Kit is 1,300 which supplies you with everything you need with the exception of a stripped lower.

Last edited:
Where the hell are you guys getting the H4350 to shoot the 6.5 CM??? I know there are other options but nothing compares to temp stability and accuracy you get from H4350.

It's on the shelf locally all the time. I have 4 8# jugs at the moment. I saw Powder Valley had 1# in stock yesterday

OP, if you haven't already picked up those parts I would recommend buying one of those LaRue Builders kits, it would be a good learning kit for you for learning the anatomy of the AR platform, and it is super simple to assemble. LaRue makes a DPMS version I'm sure you could find a Aero M5 lower for about $200.00 and the LaRue 22" 6.5CM Builders Kit is 1,300 which supplies you with everything you need with the exception of a stripped lower.

I already ordered all the parts except the barrel and bcg. I'll probably order it later on for a 308 upper or something for hog hunting.

Then I would go ahead and order this JP barrel that comes with the High Pressure bolt (so the barrel is actually only costing you $469) then get the JP LMOS carrier only and the bolt carrier pin package. You have the option when ordering the barrel to add the black Teflon finish for $50 if you want. It does take a .936 gas block though...You can call SLR and Im sure they will swap it out for you.

http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSM6.5C-22M8XL
http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPBC-4
http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=BC-PINS-308

Then I would go ahead and order this JP barrel that comes with the High Pressure bolt (so the barrel is actually only costing you $469) then get the JP LMOS carrier only and the bolt carrier pin package. You have the option when ordering the barrel to add the black Teflon finish for $50 if you want. It does take a .936 gas block though...You can call SLR and Im sure they will swap it out for you.

http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSM6.5C-22M8XL
http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPBC-4
http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=BC-PINS-308

Sounds like a plan. Im down. Doing it all monday if we still have power etc. The hurricane might delay this build a few weeks.

Sounds like a plan. Im down. Doing it all monday if we still have power etc. The hurricane might delay this build a few weeks.

SLR is closed down due to the hurricane, but that should give you more time to decide. Post up some pics when you get it all together.

Dave

Updated the Build list. I took the advice of getting the JP barrel over the rainier arms. All the parts are in except the barrel bolt and BC. Im also waiting on my exchange with SLR. They seem to still be closed from the hurricane.

I'm having a bit of a problem with the sentry 9 clamp on gas block and the solo lite rail. It seems like it's going to be a really tight fit and it seems like it only has about 2 sheets of paper stacked clearance. How much clearance is needed between any part of the gas block and rail without the free float getting messed up.

I'm having a bit of a problem with the sentry 9 clamp on gas block and the solo lite rail. It seems like it's going to be a really tight fit and it seems like it only has about 2 sheets of paper stacked clearance. How much clearance is needed between any part of the gas block and rail without the free float getting messed up.

That doesn't sound good to me. The clearance to the bottom is what I'd consider most critical, I'd like to see at least .100". Are you certain you have a Solo Lite .308 rather than 5.56 rail? I looked up the dimensions and you should clear a 9C block without a problem with the rail.

Last edited:
I am also building a 6.5CM gasser. I am going to go with the meter barrel from FA. You can send your bolt to them for head spacing as well.

I had a similar issue with my 6.5 CM AR build. I used a Mega MATEN receiver set, 22 inch Ballistic Advantage barrel, a Sentry 9 clamp on adjustable gas block and an SLR 308 Solo Lite rail. While everything cleared, the clearance was less than I considered ideal. I called SLR about the concern and they offered to swap it out, free of charge for a Sentry 9 set screw version. Within a short time, I had the new set screw block and returned the clamp on model. All is good now. Don't hesitate to call SLR.

I had a similar issue with my 6.5 CM AR build. I used a Mega MATEN receiver set, 22 inch Ballistic Advantage barrel, a Sentry 9 clamp on adjustable gas block and an SLR 308 Solo Lite rail. While everything cleared, the clearance was less than I considered ideal. I called SLR about the concern and they offered to swap it out, free of charge for a Sentry 9 set screw version. Within a short time, I had the new set screw block and returned the clamp on model. All is good now. Don't hesitate to call SLR.

The issue wasn't the clearance on the bottom screws on the clamp on, it was the allen Screw on the left top of the gas block. I ended up swapping the sentry 9 clamp on for a jp clamp on. It has smaller adjustments on the gas block which is slightly better for fine tuning.

The rifle is almost done. I'm just deciding on a optic / mount combo. I'm thinking about the vortex viper pst gen 2 5-25 first focal plane and the geissele mounts

The issue wasn't the clearance on the bottom screws on the clamp on, it was the allen Screw on the left top of the gas block. I ended up swapping the sentry 9 clamp on for a jp clamp on. It has smaller adjustments on the gas block which is slightly better for fine tuning.

The rifle is almost done. I'm just deciding on a optic / mount combo. I'm thinking about the vortex viper pst gen 2 5-25 first focal plane and the geissele mounts

Now that you mention it, yes I had the same issue with that screw once I installed the set screw gas block. I simply took a jewelers file to the top rounded portion of the head and made it a flat chamfer without filing into the hex recess for the allen wrench, so I can still remove the screw. Worked to provide just enough clearance for my rifle inside the SLR Solo Lite handguard. No problems and nothing is hitting anything else since.

I picked up a PST Gen 2 5-25x50 FFP EBR-2C MRAD a few weeks ago for a bolt rifle build I have in progress and am pretty impressed with the scope so far, but I haven't shot the rifle yet so my thoughts are just prelim.