• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Grendel build...advice

up-the-creek

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2013
I am VERY new to the 6.5, and have been reading non-stop for days. I'm trying to decide on a barrel, and from what I can gather it seems like Satern and AA are backed up until the Obamacare website functions properly. I've looked at JPEnterprises barrels as now they're offering barrels and barrel kits. I like that I can get the whole set-up from one source, but they only offer 18" and 22". I was really wanting a 20" barrel because it seemed like the velocity was a bit better than the 18", and I didn't really want to go bigger than 20" because I ready a lot of posts saying the 24" barrels were "clumsy." With the JP comp, it pushed the 22" to 25.75" overall. So my question is for anyone with experience with either of these two, which do you prefer? I'm building this gun as mainly a range rifle to shoot long distance. Any advice is appreciated!

I have a 24 AA and a 18 Satern. The velocity difference isn't enough to really mattee. I waited 9 months for my AA. Check the Grendel forum, there are a bunch of group buys on there for barrels. Got my Satern in 3 months. If your not patient buy what is in stock. I love both! My 24 is strictly a bench gun, it's a tack driver. Do some research on the Grendel forum and order the reloading handbook for both of them. They go over the different velocities etc... that will help you to make a decision.http://www.AR15buildbox.com/site/86...ault?url=http://ar15buildbox.com/Sitemap.html

Ok, here's my thought process so far. Mega billet upper/lower set with side-charging handle, Young match BCG, JP 22" SS barrel/bolt with JP comp, adjustable GB, and JP 15.5" mod handguard, some sort of bipod, SSA trigger, PRS stock, and JP silent capture spring. With my budget, will most likely take me close to a year to acquire all the parts, not including any optics.

Im going with a 24 inch. Im trying to get then 6.5's going as fast as possible. Im getting my barrel from BHW.

Scott

24" barrels are clumsy, if you are running through the woods.
get a good brake that works, not super cool or loud.
velocities, less is less, more is more, more gives you a lot more ajd. range, More is better

If you are looking for a range gun mostly, then the 22" might make more sense for you. I have been able to get comfortably into 2550fps with my 16" MLGS AA barrel with the 123gr A-MAX and CFE223.

The JP barrels have a really lightweight profile under the handguards, with a heavy gas block journal and muzzle, and work really well with their radiator system. They are very well-balanced, not clumsy at all. One of my buddy's 28" Grendels with a fluted Satern barrel and the AA G10 Carbon Fiber handguard is surprisingly well-balanced with the PRS. When you pick it up, it feels like one solid rifle and is very handy. If you go with a bull barrel profile, then the guns become more front-heavy.

Precision Firearms is another company you should look at, with Lilja, Krieger, Bartlein, and Les Baer barrel options.

I would definitely use a billet set for a foundation, either Precision Firearms, JP, Seekins, Mega, Spike's, etc.

I have a 24" bhw barrels and I get 2600 if I really push it. I think if I did it again I would do a 20".

I have a 24" BHW barrel YHM low profile gas block and gas tube and an LBC bolt if anyone is looking for one. I had the 24" and didn't like it so I'm going to a bartlein probably 20".

I have a 24" BHW barrel YHM low profile gas block and gas tube and an LBC bolt if anyone is looking for one. I had the 24" and didn't like it so I'm going to a bartlein probably 20".

Not the for sale section OR your thread to sell in

What kind of accuracy did you get from your bhw barrel and what load were you using. Having a little trouble getting mine below 1.25"

Not the for sale section OR your thread to sell in

Thank you, I understand that, was just stating for anyone that was interested.

What kind of accuracy did you get from your bhw barrel and what load were you using. Having a little trouble getting mine below 1.25"

Well I can't really say I did anything worthwhile for testing the accuracy and I'm still a fairly novice shooter. I was shooting wolf gold 120 mpt's out of it as that was all that I could get my hands on at the time for even a "reasonable" price. Those groups ranged from .75 MOA to 1.5 MOA, so I would expect with the appropriate hand loads, it would shoot much better. Just not exactly the barrel I want as far as the looks of my rifle.

Thank you, I understand that, was just stating for anyone that was interested.

Well I can't really say I did anything worthwhile for testing the accuracy and I'm still a fairly novice shooter. I was shooting wolf gold 120 mpt's out of it as that was all that I could get my hands on at the time for even a "reasonable" price. Those groups ranged from .75 MOA to 1.5 MOA, so I would expect with the appropriate hand loads, it would shoot much better. Just not exactly the barrel I want as far as the looks of my rifle.

Ok thanks for the reply

I've built two of em using BHW 18" barrels and have shot it at 550 yards. You could cover five shots with an iPhone. I was using Sierra game king 120 bullets. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another BHW barrel.

I built my Grendel with a #4 contour Krieger prior to the year plus waits, but if you find someone to turn down the blank, there are several sources for standard contours with barrels available from Krieger, Hart, Lilja and others (Bruno Shooters Supply typically has the heavy contours in stock). I have spoken with Mark from Precision Firearms and he likes Lilja barrels for his builds. I cannot argue that but having built a few AR rifles myself, both large and small pattern, I have always had success with Krieger barrels. I bring it up because they are cut rifled and simply will not move when the exterior is altered like for fitting under the barrel nut or turning the shoulder for the gas block. I finished mine at 22"+ but have not built up loads for chronographing. All I can say is that it balances well because of the light contour but I am not sure if going down to 20" wouldn't be more handy for toting it around.

Thanks for all the info, guys! I ended up ordering the JP 22". I'm gonna try to sell some of my other toys so speed up the process of ordering other parts; otherwise it'll take close to a year with my budget. Keeping my fingers crossed.

6.5G barrel/bolts are in at Midway.299 for 18 inch and 279 for 16 inch.

30 dollar discount ends soon for 300 dollar order.