• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 6.5 Grendel Failur to Ignite Cartridge

fx77

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 29, 2005
    ny state
    I was shooting my 6.5 Grende. today…had a problem maybe U can figure out
    The brass is Lapua. I uniform primer pockets with a Sinclair tool. The primer tool is the hand held Sinclair also. I loased 120 gr heads with N133 VV Powder. I have used this combo before and have not changed my OAL's.

Loaded the magazine released the bolt for the AR. Bolt closed. The forward asst. suggested it was fully forward.The cartridge seemed to exit the magazine without a problem.
    But the firing pin did not strike the primer. Tried a dozen loads-- no go. Couple of the cases had a dent on the side when ejected ( just an observation). The primers remained pristine. The did not seem to be too deeply set in the pockets.

I came home. Thought I had a bad firing pin. Measured the pin against another from another gun and they matched to the .001 exactly identical..so Iruled that out.

Then I took the bullet from the cartridge, emptied the powder and put the primed previously resized case into the chamber. Closed the bolt and 3 for 3 the primers ignited and I could manually eject the spent shell case.

What do you think is the problem? Why did the pin not strike the primers in the loaded rounds?

Re: 6.5 Grendel Failur to Ignite Cartridge

Maybe the gun wasn't fully in battery? The primers would be dented if it was.

If you are handloading did you full length resize your brass? A few thou can make a huge difference if you didn't bump your shoulders back far enough.

All Brass is Full length resized.

I'm thinking the rifle wasn't in full battery as well. I don't know why the brass worked at home, but that round seemed particular when I was messing with it. I had a loaded round gauge that aa sold, and I can promise you it didn't take much to have a no-go. I was trying to size brass minimally though.

Sounds like you had your firing pin installed improperly and when you dissassembled it and put it back together, you got it right.

Easy to get the FP retaining pin (cotter key) in front of the FP shoulder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like you had your firing pin installed improperly and when you dissassembled it and put it back together, you got it right.

Easy to get the FP retaining pin (cotter key) in front of the FP shoulder. </div></div>

Hellbender beat me to it!

Which 120 bullet was it? Is it an AA factory gun?
    Lot of folks tried 120 Hornadys only to find the bullet stopped in the throat short of allowing it to go fully into battery and not letting it go off.
    The other possibility is the misassembly aforementioned, although when I have seen it in the past, the FP fell out.
    Try it again without monkeying with the rifle and see if it goes off.

It is an SSK industries (Wintersville OH)...Upper
    Sierra 120 gr HPBT bullet

seat the bullet deeper; if a case with primer -- no powder -no bullet pops primer then not in battery bullet engaging lans and ay not be in full battery