• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 6.5 Grendel leathality??

Buzzsaw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2006
Frisco, Texas
Dumb question but I don't know, will the Berger 130 gr VLD "hunting" bullet @ 2150 fps be deadly on whitetails out to 300yds?? Seems a little slow. I got 2500 fps with the 120 grain Amax.

Re: 6.5 Grendel leathality??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would run the new Hornady AMax ammo..... </div></div>

I would concur on that suggestion. I like at least 1k Ft lbs of energy at the bullet end, for clean whitetail kills. Your 130 Berger @2150 FPS Comb drops below 1k ft Lbs at less than 250 yds. If Hornady ballistics are anywhere close to accurate, their load does not drop below 1k FT lbs until it passes 400 yds.

I'm sure you could also reload a 123 Gr A-Max as well and get like velocities.

YMMV,

Bob

Unless you're running a Grendel in a bolt gun, your rifle probably won't like the design of that bullet. Stick with the 123 gr amax or 120gr Sierra hunters.

For a bolt gun the 130 Bergers would be my first choice.

I would thin the 123 AMax would be the way to go. But because of the relatively low SD it's really not going to be as good as say a .30.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got 2500 fps with the 120 grain Amax. </div></div>

There is more energy in heavier bullets so maybe load up some 140s for hunting deer.

These pigs will testify to lethality of the 6.5 grendel...one shot 185 (1 308 hit 1 6.5 hit)

second @ 150ish, double lung through and through 120 AMAX
hunt.jpg

I came a upon a large group of hogs of about 15 or more cooling off in a stock tank. Being in my truck at the time i reached for my Grendel ( 123 HP Lapua Scenar) with all of them on the move by now and took out one hog with a going away quartering shot behind the left front leg, it was a DRT. This was my first hog kill with the 6.5 Grendel, leathality of the 6.5 Grendel is hell on hogs. Sorry no pics, didnt have my camera with me, maybe next time.