• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Grendel Muzzle Brake/Flash Hiders

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
Where can I find a 6.5 Grendel Muzzle Brake/Flash Hider? The threads are 9/16 x 24, im almost positve. The only one i found was at Brownells it was a Vortex but it said it was for a 6.8/30 Cal but the threads were 9/16x24 so i would think it would work unless its LH but it didnt say. I know Alexander Arms/Sabre Defense does but they have absolutly nothing in stock or it will take months to get it. I dont want to wait months and not be able to shoot my new build over a flash hider! Is there any other sites that make them or what companies make them that size for a Grendel.

Re: 6.5 Grendel Muzzle Brake/Flash Hiders

I put a Tubbs adj muzzle brake on the one I had and really liked it. You would have to have a gunsmith open it up for a 6.5. They only come in 6mm - no problem- just redrill bigger. No matter what brake you get the threads will have to be recut. I used an adj die and it was a real pain in the butt ! The threads are not deep enough to thread anything on, as it comes from AA. Check this out at 6.5 Grendel forum. Brownell's sells the Tubbs brake. The Tubbs brake is right hand. Hope this helped.

david

The Vortex is 9/16"-24RH for the Grendels, AC-556, some FALs, Mini-14 GB models...

I've got the Vortex, OPS Inc., and Shrewd for my Grendel. They're all available with the correct thread and I bought them all from Brownells. The OPS Inc R3E2C is a special order and comes in .243. The Shrewd comes in .22 cal. Both must be opened up in a lathe with a reamer. OPS Inc says .030 over bullet diameter and Shrewd says .020 over. Your neighborhood machinist or gunsmith will have a reamer of .290, which is a standard size and a good compromise. My Satern barrrel isn't relieved where the treads meet the shoulder of the barrel, so only the Vortex will seat on the shoulder without washers or machining. Hope this helps.

i got four different caliber rifles all threaded for a .30 vias brake.....260 to .300wm....the vias in .30 abates the recoil nicly for them all

I ordered one from Sabre and had it within a week.. I also ordered one from Alexander and it took a month or two, forgot exactly. The AR bubble is over now, parts are more available.

If you're still looking for a flash hider, I've got a new Smith Vortex in 9/16x24 RH thread I can sell you for $50 shipped. I bought it by mistake for my 6.8SPC (I needed 5/8x24). Let me know and thanks.

Copper,
Can you send me a picture of the flash hider?

I had a vais on mine and for all intense purposes did not notice any recoil reduction. the only thing I got was a great looking brake and a face full of dirt and grass every time I fired. Then again, the grendel really doesn't have much recoil to deal with in the first place. jmo

My 6.5 Creedmoor is getting a Little Bastard installed. I did a bunch of reading and watching videos on line, they seem to work well. Their uTube video demoing a 338LM, was interesting to watch, look it up on uTube.

WCI muzzle brake is one of the best brakes I've ever used. I have one on my Grendel. Mine is also 9/16 x 24, but he will thread it to what ever thread size you have. Here is what it looks like .........

100_0855.jpg

You can pick one up from Alexander Arms. Or you can go straight to the maker.

Here's a story about it ....

http://soldiersystems.net/2009/12/14/wci-muzzle-brake/

Here it is on a .338 lapua with some cool slow mo .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54aHjlRdeCE

Here's some youtube in Iraq ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er9Z5PSl8z8

Here's the makers link .....

http://wciproducts.com/

I have looked at the WCI and the Vias muzzle brakes. Both work well in my opinion. Does anyone think it is really necessary to use a muzzle brake to reduce recoil or just throw a nice flash hider on for looks? I have only put about 25 rounds through my 6.5 Grendel so far and I really did not examine the recoil. I was concentrating on zeroing my scope.

The downfall with the WCI or Vias is all the radial ports. They do reduce recoil but also fill the scope with dirt when fired in the prone position. Flash hider will work or use a brake without radial ports. I did notice that all the videos are in grass covered ground and there is still a ton of dust, wait until you have no veg on the ground. You will love the grendel as I have done with the 2 I now have.

Thanks Azprc! That helps a lot. I will be posting pictures of my new build within the week once I receive my scope level and a few other finishing touches.

The only reason I put a brake on the Grendel is because the barrel came threaded .... LOL. So, I figured .... why not put a brake on there. But, any caliber under .308 and I just don't really see the need for a brake at all. My buddy has the exact same Grendel as me and he uses a standard flash hider. I can't really say any brake on a Grendel is worth the money. It's not like it's a .300 Win Mag

You kind of had the same thought process as me right now.

Ross Schuler will make a brake under $50 shipped. I use a brake in the Grendel to spot impact. Do a search

I searched it and it looks pretty nice. I think I will give it a shot, thanks!