• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Grendel Question

HiCapMag

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2003
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
For you folks running a Grendel in the AR platform, what spring and buffer are you using? Just standard, or is there a preferred setup?

Thanks!

Re: 6.5 Grendel Question

Standard buffer, Wolf heavy duty spring. I learned from the last time. Don't use the standard spring.

dega37,

Just curious as to what your thoughts are on the adjustable gas block.

In my previous experience with the 6.5 Grendel, I've had the gas system wide open. Obviously, the problem therein lies that you can't go with too slow of powder to help your bullet when it's down the barrel a ways. The wide open system makes it so you have to use a powder that, behind the bullet you are using, is down to around 17k for pressure at the port.

Now if you were to restrict the gas just a little you could maybe up that pressure a little by using a slower powder. It won't reduce pressure at the port so much as when the gas gets back into the system. The lack of volume is what will help decrease the pressure. Food for thought anyhow.

FWIW, I put the heavy duty spring in mostly to help with feeding and locking the cases into the breech. I had a bit of a problem with my first one after a couple reloads. We'll see how this one works out.

I'm running a standard spring and buffer. My buddy uses one of the hydraulic recoil buffers and really likes it.. I sort of think "why fix it if it works?" I still outshoot his rifle...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm running a standard spring and buffer. My buddy uses one of the hydraulic recoil buffers and really likes it.. I sort of think "why fix it if it works?" I still outshoot his rifle... </div></div>

There is a large thread over on the Grendel forums that show lots of damage from people using those... Go check it out.

I'm running a H2 carbine buffer with a chrome silicon spring. Action is a little stiff but works well.

Gunfighter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm running a standard spring and buffer. My buddy uses one of the hydraulic recoil buffers and really likes it.. I sort of think "why fix it if it works?" I still outshoot his rifle... </div></div>

There is a large thread over on the Grendel forums that show lots of damage from people using those... Go check it out.</div></div>

Using the standard or the hydraulic? The only thing I changed is I went to the Wolf heavy duty spring. I still have the standard long rifle buffer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm running a standard spring and buffer. My buddy uses one of the hydraulic recoil buffers and really likes it.. I sort of think "why fix it if it works?" I still outshoot his rifle... </div></div>

There is a large thread over on the Grendel forums that show lots of damage from people using those... Go check it out.</div></div>

Using the standard or the hydraulic? The only thing I changed is I went to the Wolf heavy duty spring. I still have the standard long rifle buffer. </div></div>

I'm not up to speed on AR components so here's a link to the thread.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4578

I run standard buffer and spring and a jp adjustable gas block. It is only open about 1/4 turn and puts brass at about 4:30 5-6 feet away in a single pile about 2 feet in diameter, from a seated benchrest position. Locks the bolt open everytime and I haven't had a FTF or FTE since I set it up. Probably the most consitant AR set up I have.
HTH
Rad

use standard but am going to try the Spikes ST2 buffer in 1
lower---have a 14", 16" and 22" so plan to experiment--have
not tried an adj. as block yet either---what say u about thesw
Scottmilk??

Bert,
I've used them and I like them when shooting suppressed, the only way to go in my opinion.

As for shooting non-supressed it can be useful to tune your loads, but i don't use one unless someone specifically asks for it on their build I'm doing for them.