• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Grendel

nagantguy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2020
So I’m placing this in the armory section instead of the bolt or semi rifle threads because not sure where it fits - please fee free to move it to a more appropriate section along with my apologies for any extra work or confusion.

Have a itch that’s been festering for a Grendel for some time now - use primary would be deer and pigs and coyotes from bow range to 3-400 meters tops and I’ve only one or two regular hunting spots that would allow a shit beyond 400- in the last 3-4 years longest shot on a deer has been 287 yards - just the terrain I hunt here in northern MI and the upper peninsula as well as in TN and KY, river bottoms , hard woods lots of swamps and brambles- some AG fields but not huge ones .
Anyhow to poke the bear and start yet another “what do the savages on “The Hide “ recommend - I’ve had in my chart or hands in the last few days AR uppers- bolt guns and single shots , if I went the single shot route I think the caliber would lend itself well to one of my favorite woods bumming platforms- the Contender or the Encore . Just can’t make up my mind and will probably default to the AR platform.
If you have made the jump to the Grendel- not new by any means and I remember being under whelmed by it when it first hit the wild but now I think it checks a lot of boxes . So if you have and use it - what would you do different- am I off my rocker even thinking of a single shot ? It was born and bred to squeeze all the juice from the AR - is it better suited to a bolt action?
Could or should I just be happy with my 25-06?

Reactions: Sigmanx
After seeing the numbers that @MSTN has posted, the only thing I would do differently for a modest range deer/pig rifle is to go SBR. I’ve got a 22” that checks a lot of boxes for comp use, but it is LONG with a suppressor. Another that is 18” and is serviceable for comps, but pulls double duty as a deer gun. It is better than the 22”, but still long with a can. There’s a 100 fps difference between the 22” JP and 18” odin works barrel. The JP holds tighter groups, but only just.

I’ve contemplated a howa bolt gun; chop and thread the barrel, but keep gravitating back to the AR.

The Grendel is a great short/medium deer hunting round, and that's what I use in my AR for MN/WI hunting under 300 yds. Can't comment on bolt action or single shot. I know the bolt gun guys load a bit longer and hotter, and for my load (129 ABLR) I'm really limited by mag length so it's only going ~2300 fps, so you could improve on that. In the end I love the ergos on the AR, and the Grendel is the perfect deer cartridge from the AR.

Great timing.... I'm contemplating the same thing and keep coming back to the Grendel. Im leaning... Encore rifle with 16"-18" barrel and Ultra 5 suppressor makes for handy little rifle for tight tree stands and ground blinds. Or, Encore pistol in a bandolier holster for when the critters are just out of bow range.

6.5G shorty is the only way to go.

My 12.5" Noveske Barrel/Bolt combo is a pig poppin' animal, and way more accurate than I expected it to be. Still not too long with a can on it.

I still haven't shot it past 200yds, but look forward to doing so.

252199FA-A070-4C4B-862B-0BE5FE04A24F.jpeg

D87C9602-6FA6-4D8A-B01F-B721512ED84C.jpeg

77gr tmk in an 18” kills 6.5 grendel if ur after semi auto for my money.

I’m getting a real deep fondness for 6br.
It’s a 500 yard elk killer and is just a peach to reload for.. doesn’t suck how little it recoils.

All that said if u want 6.5 grendel have at it, seems like a nice way to roll as well. Just note that the anemic starting velocity has some downsides.. aka trajectory and terminal performance down range. Stay within that plus side of 2000fps with eld-ms and you’ll need sharp knives

I'm really enjoying the 16" Grendel gas gun. It's not fast and it's not a power house but still get a kick out of it.

Only thing I have struggled with is I have found it to be extremely picky on bullets and ammo.. unsure if it's the Grendel or the piss poor upper I bought. If I were to do it again make sure you stick to known upper companies. No matter what their fan bois say don't settle for lesser known.

I'm really enjoying the 16" Grendel gas gun. It's not fast and it's not a power house but still get a kick out of it.

Only thing I have struggled with is I have found it to be extremely picky on bullets and ammo.. unsure if it's the Grendel or the piss poor upper I bought. If I were to do it again make sure you stick to known upper companies. No matter what their fan bois say don't settle for lesser known.
My 6.5 Gs are well past sub moa with Hornady match (why did you discontinue this Hornady?) and black 123 Eld-M and BTHP. But, they spray bullets like a shotgun with Hornady custom 123 SST loads. I'll second "picky" on bullets. But, its not the cartridge that holds me back in PRS comps- unless they stretch out past 900 yards.

Grendel doesn't really make much sense to me in anything but an AR platform. If you want to hunt big game with an AR-15 to 400 yards then I could think of no better round. I'd actually been thinking about getting one of the Larue uppers for $800 and doing the same thing and may still do it but I'm picking up another Fix instead so its at least on the back burner.

In a bolt gun or single shot I'd go Creedmoor every time. Far better ammo selection, and also more brass availability.

Is a 6.5G going to do anything your 25-06 doesn't do for deer to 400 yards? Absolutely not and you'll be giving up the flatter trajectory of your 25-06 in the process.

Have had 12.5 and 18”. Still have the 12.5 shoots 100 grain wolf extremely well for pigs. And use 123 SST for everything else.

Pigs. Deer. And even shot caribou with it in AK.

I have a friend that routinely shoots moose with it.

As anything placement trumps all else.

In my opinion if not doing an AR there is better options. For a bolt or single shot.

It shines in a small frame AR. Once you move beyond that. A half dozen other cartridges far exceed it.

Reactions: FWoo45 and Eric_F
So I’m placing this in the armory section instead of the bolt or semi rifle threads because not sure where it fits - please fee free to move it to a more appropriate section along with my apologies for any extra work or confusion.

Have a itch that’s been festering for a Grendel for some time now - use primary would be deer and pigs and coyotes from bow range to 3-400 meters tops and I’ve only one or two regular hunting spots that would allow a shit beyond 400- in the last 3-4 years longest shot on a deer has been 287 yards - just the terrain I hunt here in northern MI and the upper peninsula as well as in TN and KY, river bottoms , hard woods lots of swamps and brambles- some AG fields but not huge ones .
Anyhow to poke the bear and start yet another “what do the savages on “The Hide “ recommend - I’ve had in my chart or hands in the last few days AR uppers- bolt guns and single shots , if I went the single shot route I think the caliber would lend itself well to one of my favorite woods bumming platforms- the Contender or the Encore . Just can’t make up my mind and will probably default to the AR platform.
If you have made the jump to the Grendel- not new by any means and I remember being under whelmed by it when it first hit the wild but now I think it checks a lot of boxes . So if you have and use it - what would you do different- am I off my rocker even thinking of a single shot ? It was born and bred to squeeze all the juice from the AR - is it better suited to a bolt action?
Could or should I just be happy with my 25-06?
The only reasons to go 6.5 Grendel imo is because you’re looking for increased range in an AR platform. Outside of that you’re better off with 6.5C or 308.

The only reasons to go 6.5 Grendel imo is because you’re looking for increased range in an AR platform. Outside of that you’re better off with 6.5C or 308.
Or, if you're goals are building something that's lighter weight, shorter OAL, compatible with existing AR-15 lower [which you eluded to], etc.. There are other reasons.

Reactions: Modoc
Or, if you're goals are building something that's lighter weight, shorter OAL, compatible with existing AR-15 lower [which you eluded to], etc.. There are other reasons.
I think the salient part of the quote was “in an AR-15.” Kind of like saying the only reason to go 5.56/223 is for an AR-15. ‘Cuz, you know, the 223 doesn’t make sense in a bolt action rifle.

IDK. A SBR’ed, suppressed, bolt action 6.5 Grendel fed from ar-15 mags sounds intriguing.

I started my build already, though might be a while before I get the suppressor(DA Nomad still in jail). I wanted it short just so it packs easily.

Attachments

• IMG_20221025_033652__01.jpg
    IMG_20221025_033652__01.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: Eric_F and Sigmanx
I’ve had 24” and 12” AR’s and a howa bolt action and a CVA Scout single shot. Still have the CVA, that I pinned and welded a muzzle device and got a 3d printed buffer tube adapter so I could throw a stock on it, and a PSA upper’d SBR. They are fun, but still not exactly what I want. At this point, I think an 18” AR is the best compromise for a do all Grendel. So I’ll probably sell off the CVA and get an 18” Wilson Combat fluted barrel and put it where the PSA barrel currently resides. I also want a 16” Vepr sporter that I can turn into a regular AK. No tactical bullshit. Just wood and steel.

Here’s a couple pics of that El Cheapo CVA. It’s fun to ring steel with this at the public range at 560 and 750.

5ufj5w.jpg

584u99.jpg

Reactions: WB300 and Sigmanx
I've been running mine for a couple years now. Wish I had actual stories of hunting success but I don't often get a chance to hunt the area which itnis best suited for. I've settled on Hornady 123g Interlocks. Accuracy is surprising for such a "non match grade" soft point bullet. 5 touch at 100 yds. 1.3 mil drop at 250. Hoping for some success this season.
20211120_075700.jpg

Really need to get more rounds through this little guy. Shoots Wolf between 1-1.5" and the last of my 123 Amax's sub 3/4". Had it out to 800 yards IIRC on 2 moa steel, it wasn't as easy as my 22" 6mm Grendel but it wasn't that bad either, certainly not bad for a 12.8" barrel.
8100.jpeg

Two years ago I built my first 6.5 thinking it was going to be a fun accurate gun to shoot and honestly the accuracy sucks. I went with high quality parts with a aero precision upper & lower and the barrel, bcg, and gas block are from odin works. I have tried like 6 different brands of ammo and it just never groups consistently with hornady 123g eld & sst being the best and it will be 1 in group and the next will be 2-3 inches. A buddy of mine bought a complete 6.5 upper from odin works at roughly the same time and it sucks also. I did build a 6.5 ar pistol for a truck gun last year using a monster barrel from 65outfitters which has decent reviews for a 160 dollar barrel and that thing shoots extremely well for what it is. I don't want to give up on them but I have like 1000 rounds of it so I just might have to live with it.

Two years ago I built my first 6.5 thinking it was going to be a fun accurate gun to shoot and honestly the accuracy sucks. I went with high quality parts with a aero precision upper & lower and the barrel, bcg, and gas block are from odin works. I have tried like 6 different brands of ammo and it just never groups consistently with hornady 123g eld & sst being the best and it will be 1 in group and the next will be 2-3 inches. A buddy of mine bought a complete 6.5 upper from odin works at roughly the same time and it sucks also. I did build a 6.5 ar pistol for a truck gun last year using a monster barrel from 65outfitters which has decent reviews for a 160 dollar barrel and that thing shoots extremely well for what it is. I don't want to give up on them but I have like 1000 rounds of it so I just might have to live with it.
I wouldn't call aero precision "high quality" parts. I'd call them mid level at best. You might realize your vision if you rebuilt one with actual high end parts. A thermal fit upper to start...

I wouldn't call aero precision "high quality" parts. I'd call them mid level at best. You might realize your vision if you rebuilt one with actual high end parts. A thermal fit upper to start...
The barrel fitment was pretty tight and I got the face trued up by a gunsmith so I don't believe a better upper is going to help that odin barrel. I like the idea of the 22 grendel so that brass will eventually be used for that.

The barrel fitment was pretty tight and I got the face trued up by a gunsmith so I don't believe a better upper is going to help that odin barrel. I like the idea of the 22 grendel so that brass will eventually be used for that.
You can also green loctite the barrel/upper receiver as well, which is kind of like bedding a bolt action to the stock.

CZ do a 527 in 6.5 Grendel... handly little bolt action with a detachable box mag...

I’m waiting on an Oregun smithing Ultralight stock and bottom metal for my Howa 1500 Mini in 6.5g.

I’ve developed a lead free load using 99g Hammer Hunter that has given me several ~3/8” groups.

The goal is a lightweight, compact, lower recoil rifle for my father. No shots planned over 250 yards.

Well, it might, but that's just the start. These things are the sum of their parts, right? Get a noveske barrel in a vltor upper with a handguard with a good barrel nut (geissele perhaps?) and you're in a different stratosphere of "high end" build parts...

@morning would

Exactly what I was thinking. I need compact for small tower stands because it will host a 5"" can. Light recoiling. Max range is 300 yards on deer and hogs, and it will be the rifle I use to take youngsters and females hunting for their first time.

The Encore makes sense with the pistol grip and AR adjustable stock for LOP, but I am following for better options with my requirements.

Last edited:

The problem here is pretty clear. You aren't really blaming that on the cartridge, are you?

I built mine about a year and a half ago to try for deer and have had phenomenal luck. It's built with what some would call mid grade upper parts with a criterion barrel and it shoots very small groups with various 123g and absolutely loves 85 gr Sierra. Shot two deer between 200-270 yds and immediately dropped them with 123 ELDX.
A friend that I hunt with liked it so much he wanted one just like it and I built it with mostly the same parts and it shoots even better than mine ... often stacking 5 shots at 100 yds through a single hole. He has since shot 3 deer with his.
The biggest observation I have had is that we haven't had any pass through shots. In many cases the bullets sit just under the skin on the far shoulder. Hasn't really been a problem since they have all fallen where they stood, but in the off chance one runs, there hasn't been much blood.
Shot placement is one of the biggest factors, but in many hunting situations it's not always possible to get the best shot. We are shooting out of a box blind with a fairly solid rest.

Reactions: Sigmanx and Bakwa
A679911F-058A-4691-B7EB-7DE26E575C2F.jpeg

12.5” Grendel with X-Caliber SS barrel. Built for hunting pigs at night, but equally at home in the daylight. Absolute hammer out to 600 with cheap Wolf ammo. Would feel very comfortable taking deer to 300 with it. SBRs are the future of hunting for short-to-intermediate range use.

I've been wanting to build a Savage Striker in 6.5g. Figure out an arm brace then hunt in the shotgun zones here in NY.

Mike