• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5 Help

SlimySquirrel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
I'm looking for anyone who knows about or has used 6.5 Projectiles that like being seated deep in the case.

I'm currently building a 6.5/284 on a Short Action.

I know that a long action would be better but I have gone ahead with the build... The Wyatts extended mag box and PTG Canoe bottom metal are on their way.

If anyone has a load that would suit my hunting needs (out to 700) I would sure appreciate it.

The barrel is 7.5 twist.

Cheers

Andre

When I was running a stock Rem mag box I was able to get 140 Amax and 139gr Scenars to shoot very well in my 260AI. You are robbing the potential of that round though by seating them deep. You may want to push the 120-130 class instead so you don't take up as much case space? The 120-123's will have zero issue doing the job to 700, especially at the speeds you would be pushing them.

Using a .260 Rem in a 28" 1:8" (Savage 10FP rebarreled with L-W), the 142SMK and 140A-Max were my goto bullets. These rounds were single hand fed using a single feed mag follower.

When I went with another rifle (Savage 10 Predator Hunter Max 1), same specs except 24" barrel and began mag feeding, I went with the 140SMK, which allows a shallower seating depth for the same COAL. There is probably a small decrease in BC, but most 6.5's have more BC than is absolutely needed for reasonable distances (I.e. 1000yd).

The .260 has shot 1000yd successfully for me (at 800ft ASL) with boat tails sunk deeper than the bottom of the neck. Personally, I don't get all the avoidance of seating bullets farther into the case. The first thing I do with handloading a given bullet is to do pressure testing with the intended propellant at the seating depth I intend to use. When pressure signs become prominent, I back off to two propellant increments lower to establish my max charge.

With a good enough BC and a long enough barrel, I have no need to be running at or near a max charge. I consider that practice tantamount to premeditated murder of a perfectly good barrel. Using 28" of barrel and the 142SMK gave me 2800fps with H-4350, more than good enough for 1000yd.

Greg

In my 260 140 SMK's hit the lands with a much shorter OAL than any other 6.5 bullet I've tried yet.

Based on your objectives, I would look at these:

Barnes 127 gr LRX
Nosler Accubond 130 gr
Hornady InterLock 129 gr
Nosler Partition 125 gr
Berger 130 gr VLD

I can't comment on hunting bullets but I shoot .264 SMKs in my 6.5-284 that are seated quite deep and they shoot just fine. With H4350 there is room in the case to spare.