• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Hornady Brass

Foul Mike

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2001
Eastern Colorado
I have had a few problems with 6.5 Creedmoor Hornady brass pockets getting "loose" after a few firings. Enough that I went to Nosler brass.
I load 41.5 IMR 4350 with a 140gr Hornady BTHP Match bullet and it shoots fine, no problems with that.
Am I alone on this and it is just me or has Hornady had a batch or two of bad brass?
Maybe too hot? FM

It’s not a bad batch or two, that’s just how Hornady brass is. Lapua, alpha, Norma all have considerably better primer pockets.

How many reloads are you guys getting on average out of Hornady before the primers loosen and they get tossed? I’m currently using Hornady but plan to switch back to Lapua after they wear out. They are just twice fired at the moment with 41.5 H4350 but just wondering how many firings to expect.

I would be questioning around 2-3 loads. You feel it when you prime it.
I won't use it any more. Glad it wasn't just me.

I used 7 mag Hornady brass that primer pockets loosened up after just 2-3 firings so switched to Norma. Figured the hornady Creedmoor might get 4 or 5 so picked some up on sale at midway but sounds likely that won’t be the case. I guess brass is one of those things you get what you pay for. I’ll just go ahead and order some Lapua. I’ve got several hundred Lapua 308 brass 8x fired never annealed still going strong with good accuracy.

I've noticed different brands of primers fit tighter than others. I use CCI BR-2 primers and have no issues with loose pockets. I'm getting at least 5 reloads out of them with 42.5 of h4350. All mixed lots Hornady of brass with some being store bought brand some being from factory loaded cartridges.

I use standard CCI primers, CCI does tend to fit tight compared to federal and winchester primers. My load is 41.5 H4350 and I have yet to need to cull any for loose primer pockets. I retired last years batch that had 10-12 firings, they may be used for matches that I know I will be losing my brass at.

I have a set of Hornady 6.5CM brass that has to be on its 10th loading. I use Wolf primers and so far so good. A few cases are getting to the end of the road, but most are still usable. 43Gr H4350 and 140's.

RMD

Not only do the primer pockets get loose fast, but I get horrible ES's and SD's with Hornady brass.

Using the exact same techniques and reloading tools across the board, my ES's and SD's are half or less with Lapua and reloaded Prime brass.

I don't think Hornady puts as much care into making their brass as other brands do, and it shows.