• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 LR shooters

I dont have a man bun so no Creeedmo, but Ive had a 3rd round impact at 2345 with my x47. Dont ask me to repeat that
every day tho ; ) .

That's epic man can you provide rifle and load data please? I'm slowly working my 47l out to ELR ranges.

I’m working on growing out my man bun and take my 6.5CM to 1000 relatively often. Had it to 1200 without issue. I don’t shoot that often- maybe 3 times a year at steel.

Reactions: Clearlight
That's epic man can you provide rifle and load data please? I'm slowly working my 47l out to ELR ranges.

39.2 of AR2209 under a 130 AR Hybrid. Bout 45 Mils up, had to zoom out and use bottom of reticle. Shot
off a tripod with a bacon sandwich in one hand. I was bored waiting for my mates set up to shoot a new
prototype cartridge, so I told them to get some ears on while I had a plink with the 47,. Even with only
200 lbs of energy left at target, it still activated the Magentospeed fhit indicator.

In any decent kind of wind though, my hit percentage drops fast over 1250 (meters) or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandwarrior
I’ve shot my 260 to a bit over 1700 and would happily go for more in decent conditions.

Some go much further.

Last edited:
I live in NW AZ so i have 3000 plus yard to shoot all the time. I shoot my 6.5cm out to 1800 when i have a spotter. The round is capable of more but its very hard to your splash when you miss or even hits.

My 6.5 creedmoor is regularly shot out to 1200+ yards. Farthest I've ever shot (and successfully made an impact) was 2,200 yards. Have made first and second round hits on numerous occasions at 1700-1900 yards.

A lot of the really far shooting listed above was done with factory Hornady 140 AMAX ammo, before I reloaded. Now that I reloaded, I use the following recipe:

- 42.5 grains H4350 (edited to correct - originally had 43.5)
- Lapua brass
- 140 Berger hybrids
- CCI BR4's

That load is shoots around 2830 fps with an SD of ~5. Farthest I shot with it was 1,400 yards in a PRS match, and got a first round hit at that distance.

Last edited:
39.2 of AR2209 under a 130 AR Hybrid. Bout 45 Mils up, had to zoom out and use bottom of reticle. Shot
off a tripod with a bacon sandwich in one hand. I was bored waiting for my mates set up to shoot a new
prototype cartridge, so I told them to get some ears on while I had a plink with the 47,. Even with only
200 lbs of energy left at target, it still activated the Magentospeed fhit indicator.

In any decent kind of wind though, my hit percentage drops fast over 1250 (meters) or so.

Awsome stuff, pretty light load too!!!!

^^ Yes quite mild load, very easy to shoot unbraked from any position. Great brass and barrel life is the main
reason, besides great groups. Usually bring a smaller caliber along on ELR days just for fun.

You guys must have better places to shoot because I have trouble spotting 180+ grain bullets at a mile. I want to try this new saum barrel but I know there is no way I will see the misses. Some guys have dusted the ground with lime or flour to try to hell out where I go.

As I am sure you know, a large part of that will be where you are shooting... ie. sea level on the East Coast, versus somewhere like Wyoming or in other higher elevation areas, or off of mountain peaks into valleys.

And then of course there is consistently hitting versus lobbing the round and hoping God does not move the wind enough to push the bullet a different direction.

Shot factory 6.5 PRC and consistently hit at 1,400 yards. At 1,600 when the round went back subsonic and winds coming from 3 different valleys it really was a lot of luck. (Texas)

The longest confirmed hits were at 1760 yds.
I’m very regularly making 1200 with mine. Shooting an AI AT with a DMRLLC 26” Bartlein blank.
I shoot factory Hornady 140 ELD-M. They leave my muzzle at 2817, and stay supersonic until just past 1500 with the right conditions.

Reactions: Changed
I'm still waiting on a barrel for 6.5 PRC but after reading the above am concerned if the Creedmoor man bun requirement has a corollary for PRC.

I hope not as my bald head will not comply.

I'm still waiting on a barrel for 6.5 PRC but after reading the above am concerned if the Creedmoor man bun requirement has a corollary for PRC.

I hope not as my bald head will not comply.

Hi,

Well you are in luck lol, PRC requirements are skinny jeans with flannel "lumberjack" shirt.

Sincerely,
Theis

Limiting myself to a 10 round mag, if the wind isn't too bad I've been able to put up 5 consecutive hits at 1,550 yards on a 24" plate with both 130g Bergers and 140g ELD-M's. Longest has been 1 mile with 2 consecutive hits from a 10 round mag. Both of those targets at about 2,200 ft in elevation and 27.9 baro pressure.

"I dont have a man bun so no Creeedmo..."

"People who criticize others are unaware how much pain they themselves are experiencing. Truly happy people don't have the need to bring down others."?

1441 is my longest hit so far, but i have 1650yrd~ available to me, and with a tower, a mile plus. I'm excited to push it out to a mile.

Anyone having success with 6.5 PRC handloads? I've tried Retumbo and saw ejector marks on the case heads with loads that were 1.5 grains under max. Primers looked fine, but the load is obviously over pressure if it's marking cases. I want to try RL-26 and was curious if anyone else is using it with any success. Currently shooting a Christiansen MPR that gives me 1/2 moa at 100 yards with factory Hornady 147 gr. ELD-M, so it's not the rifle. BTW, I got the shirt, but no skinny jeans for 73 year old butts! Thanks.

Anyone having success with 6.5 PRC handloads? I've tried Retumbo and saw ejector marks on the case heads with loads that were 1.5 grains under max. Primers looked fine, but the load is obviously over pressure if it's marking cases. I want to try RL-26 and was curious if anyone else is using it with any success. Currently shooting a Christiansen MPR that gives me 1/2 moa at 100 yards with factory Hornady 147 gr. ELD-M, so it's not the rifle. BTW, I got the shirt, but no skinny jeans for 73 year old butts! Thanks.
What are the specs of your throat and the distance you load the bullet to the lands? Also, something to consider is, the PMC case is small enough it doesn’t need to be ignited by a magnum primer.

What are the specs of your throat and the distance you load the bullet to the lands? Also, something to consider is, the PMC case is small enough it doesn’t need to be ignited by a magnum primer.
Thanks so much for your reply. Bullets are .02" off the lands and I'm not using magnum primers because, as you pointed out, that lovely short and fat case burns powder pretty efficiently. I'm pretty sure Retumbo is a tad too slow, hence the long pressure curve at ignition. As soon as I can locate some Reloder 26 I'll load some up and share the results. Additionally, the next lot will be full length resized, instead of neck sizing only. Thanks again for your response.

Without having ever shot ELR I got behind a simple 6.5 CMbuild .....1:8 twist, 26 inch barrel, form 1 suppressor and went 3 for 3 on a 40x40 piece of steel at 1604 yards

Handload:
147ELM
42.7 grains of IMR 4451
Federal 210 primer
Hornady brass

Reactions: seansmd
I regularly take mine out to 1200-1400. There's a match I PRS at every other month or so and his range extends past 1500. Usually I get a few off before and after that match at 1200-1300.
1350 is about the furthest I can reliably get first or second round hits. But I haven't reached past that near as often.
Running 147 gr eld over 41.2 grs H4350. 2755 fps with an SD of 4 fps.

I was just at Max Ordinate and took my 6.5 CM to 1792 while there. It took me ten rounds and I had to max out my scope plus use the reticle, but it was repeatable. This was using a 26 inch barrel, and factory Hornady 147 ELD-M. Wind was nasty or I like to think I could done it in fewer rounds. It was first time pushing any round that far, lots of fun.

- 43.5 grains H4350
- Lapua brass
- 140 Berger hybrids
- CCI BR4's

That load is shoots around 2830 fps with an SD of ~5. Farthest I shot with it was 1,400 yards in a PRS match, and got a first round hit at that distance.
Is that 42.5 grains possibly? I use 43.0 H4350 and get 2958 out of my 260Rem with 136Lap's and it's just about a compression load.

Is that 42.5 grains possibly? I use 43.0 H4350 and get 2958 out of my 260Rem with 136Lap's and it's just about a compression load.

You are right, 42.5 grains - just confirmed with my reloading notes.

I've been playing around more with my 6BRA and .300NM, and was going off memory on my 6.5 creedmoor load - apparently my memory was wrong.

Good catch.

Reactions: ScottDWallace
Just did milk jug challenge. Put 3 inside 10" at a mile. Savage 10 BA Stealth, rebuilt in XLR Evolution chassis and 28" Shilen barrel. 140 grain Berger BT target running 2900.

Reactions: Sharp Shooter
Last Saturday.

260 Remington at approximately 1900 yards.

147 ELD-M at 2780.

Last Saturday.

260 Remington at approximately 1900 yards.

147 ELD-M at 2780.

View attachment 7108996
View attachment 7108998
Can you help me understand what we are looking at in the scope?

Mostly what where you shooting, the stumps??

That must be some hard shooting as I do not see a thing in the scope that would indicate much of a impact with a 140.. It'd be rough with my 338s.

Also, not sure but those stumps are either giant, MUCH larger than the trees at your FFP or this is like the dinty moore stew can in shooter.. :)

I am not say that you were not shooting 1900, just that that scope image looks strange to be your target area at that distance.

Left to right stump 68.5"+ - 54.75"+ upper part of the tree shown for comparison

1960-.png

Last edited:
Can you help me understand what we are looking at in the scope?

Mostly what where you shooting, the stumps??

That must be some hard shooting as I do not see a thing in the scope that would indicate much of a impact with a 140.. It'd be rough with my 338s.

Also, not sure but those stumps are either giant, MUCH larger than the trees at your FFP or this is like the dinty moore stew can in shooter.. :)

Left to right stump 68.5"+ - 54.75"+ upper part of the tree shown for comparison
View attachment 7111194
Look 1 mill to the right and . 6 high of the center.

That is a 16” plate there.

Hits at that distance are really hard to spot.
I only saw 4 of the 9 shots I fired at it.

That’s a really small target for that distance and I’m lucky I hit it even once.
The last three shots were all within about a 24” area.
Kinda proud of that fact.

Those stumps are Oregon old growth.
They range from 36-60 plus inches.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Diver160651
Those are huge trees then

That shooting spot is a short drive from the Pacific Ocean and not far from Oregon’s biggest tree.

As a side note when I was in my early 20’s I actually lived in a tree in California for a while
A big sequoia stump.
I actually had kegger parties in it a few times.
Those were fun times.

Has anyone got any experience with the 6.5 sherman? Or any other long action 6.5?

I would love to hear what you think about them.

The longest hit I've made with my Creedmoor barrel is 1800 on a .2mil target. It probably took me 6 rounds. The 4 rounds I had left weren't enough to connect at 1990.

I was using factory Hornady with 140s.

I shoot out to 2000 yards just about every other weekend with my 6.5 CM. Using the 153 atips Moving at 2820, the consistency is awesome. Back to back hits are pretty common. two weeks ago I strapped on a Charlie, adjusted my man bun and launched 5 rounds out to 2834, we couldn’t spot the misses, I assumed I was way off (180 moa)
I went back and watched to footage, elevation was perfect just 10 feet to the right of the target, surprisingly all the shots landed one on top of another maybe 1-2 feet apart. I just put a new barrel on her this week but after load dev, I’ll decently be trying it again, this time when it’s a bit more dry out so we can spot the misses.

I shoot out to 2000 yards just about every other weekend with my 6.5 CM. Using the 153 atips Moving at 2820, the consistency is awesome. Back to back hits are pretty common. two weeks ago I strapped on a Charlie, adjusted my man bun and launched 5 rounds out to 2834, we couldn’t spot the misses, I assumed I was way off (180 moa)
I went back and watched to footage, elevation was perfect just 10 feet to the right of the target, surprisingly all the shots landed one on top of another maybe 1-2 feet apart. I just put a new barrel on her this week but after load dev, I’ll decently be trying it again, this time when it’s a bit more dry out so we can spot the misses.

You are getting 2820 fps with 153 grains out of a 6.5 CM? How big a barrel? Surely some pressure signs? 2820 is essentially 6.5 PRC territory with those bullets.

Farthest i pushed my 6.5 CM was 1760. Very comfortable and frequently hitting 1500 with 140 ELD @ 2900 fps