• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 mm Accuracy International Barrels.

Baldmonk01

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2010
Virginia, USA
I keep hearing about 6.5 Lapua (and posibly others) barrels being offered for AW and AE actions. Is there any truth to this ? If so, what are the offerings? (Hopefully 26" barrels threaded for a brake)

Re: 6.5 mm Accuracy International Barrels.

The AE can currently be ordered in 6.5 Lapua, in any normal AE configuration (including with a buttspike, which is a new option for 2010 from AINA on the AE rifles). Barrel length is 26", don't have any further details really at the moment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The AE can currently be ordered in 6.5 Lapua, in any normal AE configuration (including with a buttspike, which is a new option for 2010 from AINA on the AE rifles). Barrel length is 26", don't have any further details really at the moment. </div></div>

Just the AE or will it be available for the AW also ?

I already have a AW in .308, I'm looking for a 6.5 barrel.

Another poster in the previous thread suggested looking into having GAP make you a barrel if you go the AI route and want 6.5x47. AEs are excellent, I've owned two-- you wont be disappointed in one. If you decide to go with an AW you probably will have to go with GAP to get a barrel but rest assured you will get a properly made AW barrel. My turn around (I supplied the barrel) for my AE was less then two weeks and Moon did a fantastic job. Also, I believe Moon is the only smith to do their AI barrels and hes extremely well regarded. Another option is APA, who will do AW barrels. They are supposedly offering a similar turn-around and do excellent work as well. If you do go this route expect prices from 600-900$ for the work and barrel blank.

AINA will be offering the 6.5 Creedmore and 6.5x47 Lapua in a 24" and 26" barrel option, with and without muzzle brake, both for the AE and AW. Estimated timeline, June/July, cost will run from $650 - $775 range. If you are interested feel free to contact me direct for further assistance.

I stand corrected
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stacey @ AINA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AINA will be offering the 6.5 Creedmore and 6.5x47 Lapua in a 24" and 26" barrel option, with and without muzzle brake, both for the AE and AW. Estimated timeline, June/July, cost will run from $650 - $775 range. If you are interested feel free to contact me direct for further assistance. </div></div>

Has AI worked out the 6.5x47 primer piercing issue I keep hearing about on this board ?

Also, I see you are in Elizabeth city NC. Im not that far away in Tidewater Va. If I buy a 6.5x47 barrel when you finally offer it can I carry my AW rifle down to you guys to have it mounted ?

LVMIKE, yeap you do....
smile.gif

Baldmonk01, we are offering the barrels as requested, as for the primer issue, that is another issue which is most likely ammo vs rifle. I am not pointing the finger, just an issue which occurs in other cartridges as well but not under normal circumstances. I personally do not have the experience with this caliber, others which I trust and know called me about it and we went from there. As for the barrel installation, I would plan on it being done in Fredericksburg, VA. Not normally in E.City, NC at this time much, on the road or in VA. That is something that can be worked out after the barrel is ordered and ETA is established.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stacey @ AINA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LVMIKE, yeap you do....
smile.gif

Baldmonk01, we are offering the barrels as requested, as for the primer issue, that is another issue which is most likely ammo vs rifle. I am not pointing the finger, just an issue which occurs in other cartridges as well but not under normal circumstances. I personally do not have the experience with this caliber, others which I trust and know called me about it and we went from there. As for the barrel installation, I would plan on it being done in Fredericksburg, VA. Not normally in E.City, NC at this time much, on the road or in VA. That is something that can be worked out after the barrel is ordered and ETA is established. </div></div>\

Is it a loading over the pressure issue, or small primer issue. I would like to know before ordering a barrel.

I have spoken with some of the experts on this, and it appears to be a combination of both in general. There are several which recommend the 6.5 Creedmore over the Lapua cartridge due to the primer size and a couple of other items. I would recommend you research this cartridge and your plans, step back and take an honest look at it and make a solid and informed decision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Baldmonk01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who will be the barrel manufacturer ?

What will be the barrel twist (I hope 1:8) ? </div></div>

No, responses ??

Hi we build a lot of 6X47 Lapuas and the small primers have a thiner cup than the parge rifle primers and they end up blanking with hot loads if the firing pin on the rifle is muck over 70 thou this is the same with the new 308 brass from Lapua with the small primer pocket and i see a lot of problems coming fromt hat. i dont know the dimensions on the AW rifles but the 6.5 creedmore is so close to the Lapua there is nothing in the performance and being there in the Us i would say the better option would be the creedmore with the great Match ammo you guys can get at a reasonable price and they use a large primer.

I am not trying to say anything about the AI rifles as i dont have the answers for you but i know a LOT of rifles that we have to bush the firing pins to 62 thou to make reliable with hot loads and small primers.

Hope this helps with the decisions you make it is great to see a manufacturer listen to shooters and supply barrels and rifles suitable for end use.

Wow, sorry for the delay on the response there Baldmonk01. We announced the new barrels, new calibers and ongoing replacements would be "BARTLEIN", to the spec's we also announced once stock was ready and all pricing was available I would announce and post such ASAP.

Now with that being said, I have an update. Due to the phone ringing, pm's and emails with "Customer Concerns" in direct relations of the 6.5x47 Lapua cartridge we have decided it will not be offered from AINA as a direct factory drop in chambering. We do not want the phone to ring for the wrong reason and this is one of those items which even prior to its release has created such an issue lately.

We will directly offer the .243, .260 and 6.5 Creedmore as planned which after further discussion with several individuals, we believe will cover the customer base and current desired request. As always, we listen, discuss and are open to customer inputs, which this was directly related to, now after hearing again a new side of discussion and concerns, we have directly responded. I do not believe this will inconvenience the customers but enhance our relations and service expectations for the near future. As always, I am here to assist and feel free to email or pm me directly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stacey @ AINA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, sorry for the delay on the response there Baldmonk01. We announced the new barrels, new calibers and ongoing replacements would be "BARTLEIN", to the spec's we also announced once stock was ready and all pricing was available I would announce and post such ASAP.

Now with that being said, I have an update. Due to the phone ringing, pm's and emails with "Customer Concerns" in direct relations of the 6.5x47 Lapua cartridge we have decided it will not be offered from AINA as a direct factory drop in chambering. We do not want the phone to ring for the wrong reason and this is one of those items which even prior to its release has created such an issue lately.

We will directly offer the .243, .260 and 6.5 Creedmore as planned which after further discussion with several individuals, we believe will cover the customer base and current desired request. As always, we listen, discuss and are open to customer inputs, which this was directly related to, now after hearing again a new side of discussion and concerns, we have directly responded. I do not believe this will inconvenience the customers but enhance our relations and service expectations for the near future. As always, I am here to assist and feel free to email or pm me directly. </div></div>

Put me down for a 26" (threaded for muzzle brake) 6.5 Creedmoor. Hopefully in a 1:8 twist (not 1:8.5) to stabilize the 139 Scenars or heavier.

When do you expect them to be available ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Baldmonk01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Put me down for a 26" (threaded for muzzle brake) 6.5 Creedmoor. Hopefully in a 1:8 twist (not 1:8.5) to stabilize the 139 Scenars or heavier.

When do you expect them to be available ? </div></div>

1:8.5 will handle 139gr no problem. If it won't, I better go and tell my rifle it's doing it wrong.

The 6mm will be 1/8" 24" or 26", the 6.5mm will be 1/8.2" 24" or 26". Estimated release date for availability, June/July. I will update with firmer dates and specs when available.