• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 options

Hands down Bergara. Remington is not even worth looking at.

I have heard similar thing to the Remington. But also heard Bergara’s are junk so I was looking at second options.

photo75117.jpg

I'd would strongly suggest the Tikka T3X CTR. If not, several of my buddies have Bergara's. They are very nice and shoot lights out. Remington shouldn't even be on your radar unless you are going custom.

AI or custom build....Here is a 5 shot group at 200 yards that I did this week during load development.

Attachments

• photo74447.jpg
    photo74447.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 14
I have 2 CTR’s, had more than a few Remington’s (not the Magpul), and shot the Bergara HMR as recently as tonight. Here’s my $.02 if it helps:

Tikka T3X CTR (6.5 Creedmoor and .308 Win):
+ Both are MOA rifles with 10 shot groups slightly under an inch.
+ Both shoot various bullets well (143 ELD-X for the 6.5 and 175gr SMK’s for the .308 currently).
+ Pretty light at 7.5lbs if hunting is a possibility.
+ Decent aftermarket support including stocks and chassis.
+ Smooth action.
+ Trigger is pretty good and really easy to adjust.
- Magazines can be hard to get and not exactly inexpensive.
- The stock isn’t great, but it works. Decently stiff.

Remington LTR’s (.308 Win)
+ All of mine were great shooters and sub 1.5 MOA.
+ Incredible aftermarket support and gunsmiths familiar with the action.
+ HS Precision stock isn’t bad. I suspect the Magpul is the same.
- The triggers are complete garbage and, IMO, need to be replaced immediately.
- I have had bad Remingtons, so QC can be concerning.
- I’m not a fan of floorplates.

Bergara HMR (6.5 Creedmoor)
+ The two I shot were sub MOA with 5 shot groups using 143gr ELD-X’s.
+ The stock is pretty decent and comes with flush cups.
+ AICS mag compatible. Very nice.
+ Triggers seemed decent.
+ Seems like a lot bang for your buck.
- Aftermarket support?

With all that being said, if purchasing one of the above tonight, I’d go with the CTR. They are some of the most accurate rifles I’ve owned including customs and an AIAT. I never cared for Tikkas until I purchased the two above. Good luck!

Just recently sold my CTR in 6.5 crd. Loved how it shot, i can attest to the smooth action and insane accuracy. Just didnt like the look nor the aftermarket stock options. Had a dozen custom 700s before and just this week i bought another 700 aacsd in 6 5crd. never had an issue with remmys. i just throw on a trigger and a manners or mcmillan and shoot out the barrel, then throw on a proof bbl.

I think you pay a premium for the magpul edition R700 over buying a 700 and stock separately. Something to take a look at if you go the R700 route.

Bergara HMR (6.5 Creedmoor)
+ The two I shot were sub MOA with 5 shot groups using 143gr ELD-X’s.
+ The stock is pretty decent and comes with flush cups.
+ AICS mag compatible. Very nice.
+ Triggers seemed decent.
+ Seems like a lot bang for your buck.
- Aftermarket support?
I've been told the Bergara rifles are a 700 footprint so aftermarket support shouldn't be a concern.

Bergara HMR or Tikka T3x CTR and don’t look back. There is plenty of aftermarket parts for both. Yes, the Bergara uses a 700 footprint but the Tikka is no slouch in the aftermarket department.

I am partial to the Tikka, but you will be happy with either.

Bergara HMR or Tikka T3x CTR and don’t look back. There is plenty of aftermarket parts for both. Yes, the Bergara uses a 700 footprint but the Tikka is no slouch in the aftermarket department.

I am partial to the Tikka, but you will be happy with either.

I'm still using a T3 action but have a T3X also, both are great and I don't see how you could get a better factory action.

OP, cross out the remington option, look at the Tikka and Bergara rifles.

A guy at work really wanted a T3 and asked me about it. I told him that it would be a solid choice and that I haven't yet seen a Tikka that wouldn't shoot - well. To save some money and based on the salesman's advice at Bass Pro or wherever, he bought a Bergara. He had several problems with feeding and had one of my friends (an excellent shooter) take it to do some load development. It was 2 moa with factory match. After a couple of weeks my friend's advice to him was to send it back to Bergara. The guy said he had trouble with Bergara CS in the typical "what loads are you using", "how much experience do you have with", "just keep shooting it", blah, blah, blah but managed to get a refund from the sporting goods store. I've heard some good things about the Bergaras but I've also seen 3 out of 5 now that were not very impressive. About the same with the Remingtons now too. I have always had 700's but my money would go to Tikka at this point.

Tikka T3 is one of the few factory offerings that people will honestly throw in the contest for smoothest action even among high dollar customs. Of the choices it is and should be the top pick if within your budget if you can swing it.

After the Tikka and a chassis i'd look to an RPR and skip Remington and Bergara all together.