• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 PRC Big Horn Origin , ejection issues?

Millron

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2014
West Virginia
Anyone out there that has a 6.5 PRC built on a SA Bighorn Origin I'd like to hear from you. I'm gathering components to put together a 6.5 PRC on a Bighorn SA Origin using a hawkins Hunter bottom metal and their flush fit AICS style magazines. I already have the action that was sitting in the safe so my plan is to use it for this build.

I've read a few reports of ejecting issues with PRC's out of short action origins. Any truth to this or can anybody shine some light on this thats done it? I could see issues ejecting loaded rounds out the smallish ejection port if loaded much past 2.950. My intention is to not push the COAL limits and everything is going to be pretty much loaded at mag length. I have no intentions of shooting anything heavier than the 140s so I think I'll be fine with the 2.9880 magazine restrictions.

Any words of wisdom from past experience?

no issues feeding or ejecting. using a manners stock with mini chassis... 300WSM magazine... I think it's accurate mag brand.

barrel is a bartlein carbon fiber from and chambered by southern precision rifles

I've only put about 40 rounds down the barrel, because I'm struggling to get reloading components. So far I've only shot the Hornady ELDX factory load... the holes were all touching, didn't bother measuring it... but very happy so far with the entire build.

now I just need some help putting together a good elk / mule deer trip!

I've had no issues with mine, McMillan Game Hunter and SOL bottom metal, and I've even got some 5 round 308 mags converted to the PRC when I first built it.

I have one, the only thing I ended up doing to improve reliability was notch the feed ramp more and tune mags a little.
After that it runs like a dream!

Reactions: JohnS.
Had an origin in a t6a gen2 mini chassis. I had to bend in the feed lips on rear of mag. The top rd was a little high and it would trap the ejecting case between it and top rear corner in ejection port. It was a simple affair to bend lips a little to keep top rd in mag from causing issue. Still had it high enough to reliably feed from mag

I've got an SR3.... No ejection issues for me with either Hawkins BDL bottom metal or a Terminus 3 round mag.

Origin with a Wyatt's bdl setup. Had to tune feeding a bit, but never had ejection issues.

Anyone out there that has a 6.5 PRC built on a SA Bighorn Origin I'd like to hear from you. I'm gathering components to put together a 6.5 PRC on a Bighorn SA Origin using a hawkins Hunter bottom metal and their flush fit AICS style magazines. I already have the action that was sitting in the safe so my plan is to use it for this build.

I've read a few reports of ejecting issues with PRC's out of short action origins. Any truth to this or can anybody shine some light on this thats done it? I could see issues ejecting loaded rounds out the smallish ejection port if loaded much past 2.950. My intention is to not push the COAL limits and everything is going to be pretty much loaded at mag length. I have no intentions of shooting anything heavier than the 140s so I think I'll be fine with the 2.9880 magazine restrictions.

Any words of wisdom from past experience?
I run a Bighorn SA TL3 6.5 PRC in an AI AX chassis. I have zero issues with ejection or any other function.

Had an origin in a t6a gen2 mini chassis. I had to bend in the feed lips on rear of mag. The top rd was a little high and it would trap the ejecting case between it and top rear corner in ejection port. It was a simple affair to bend lips a little to keep top rd in mag from causing issue. Still had it high enough to reliably feed from mag
I had this same issue with a 7saum and a TL3. I resolved it the same way.