• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 PRC virgin brass cracked around the web

Ajrich

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2018
I bought some virgin 6.5 prc brass yesterday from a guy who had ran it through his die and primed it. I took a glance at it and could tell it was virgin so I gave him the cash for it.
Once I got home I looked at it and noticed that almost all of it has small cracks around the web that you can just catch your nail on. I did some measurements vs my adg virgin brass and it doesnt appear to be over worked or anything. Shoulders are not bumped to far. Web is within .0005 of my virgin brass. The guy has since ordered me new brass so that part is not an issue but can this be the result of anything other than bad brass or is there something else I should be looking at?
Thanks

Photo

Attachments

• 20200523_170126.jpg
    20200523_170126.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 106
Could be a cosmetic artifact of the drawing process. I’ve seen that before and shot it without any case head separation.

That's possible, did they kind of seal up or could you always see a crack after you fired them?

20200524_150447.jpg
here is a few pics of different pieces

Pic

Attachments

• 20200524_150526.jpg
    20200524_150526.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 29
I see that sometimes with brass after 9-10 firings. This is what comes next after 12 firings at higher end loads.
Have you tried a dental pick or paper clip on the inside to see if you can actually feel a crack from the inside?

Edit:
Notice where you see the "artifact" or whatever is not actually where it separates. I had one separate completely in the chamber. Yikes.
I toss them now when I see the early stress signs after around 10 loads.

Attachments

• 6.5brass.jpg
    6.5brass.jpg
    847.3 KB · Views: 50
That's possible, did they kind of seal up or could you always see a crack after you fired them?

In my case it wasn’t a crack. It was a shingle layer of sorts. Like the die that formed the case shaved brass from on high and smeared it down low.

Orange Arrow: "Artifact line" that shows up after 6-10 firings probably rather than 9-10
Blue Arrow: Actual separation crack
Green Arrow: Dark, early sign separation is coming next time fired. This was noticable to me often after 10-11 firings.

Attachments

• 6.5brass2.jpg
    6.5brass2.jpg
    849.2 KB · Views: 30
In my case it wasn’t a crack. It was a shingle layer of sorts. Like the die that formed the case shaved brass from on high and smeared it down low.
These are more than likely what your referring to, some arnt straight and in the shape of a half circle.

I see that sometimes with brass after 9-10 firings. This is what comes next after 12 firings at higher end loads.
Have you tried a dental pick or paper clip on the inside to see if you can actually feel a crack from the inside?

Edit:
Notice where you see the "artifact" or whatever is not actually where it separates. I had one separate completely in the chamber. Yikes.
I toss them now when I see the early stress signs after around 10 loads.
No dental pic yet, it appears to be behind a ledge on the inside. But I'll check it out again thanks

Reactions: db2000
Yes, which is made by ADG

Kind of... Adg makes it to GW specs.

I had 6 bad out if 100 from GW. The 300 ADG I have are all very nice and consistant. Almost like totally different manufacturers.

Kind of... Adg makes it to GW specs.

I had 6 bad out if 100 from GW. The 300 ADG I have are all very nice and consistant. Almost like totally different manufacturers.
What the hell! I always heard it was just regular ADG with a different stamp on it. I'll give them a call Tuesday and see what they say.

To clarify, GW told me that it was made by ADG to their specs... Could they be blowing smoke? Sure they could.

I also bought 100 once fired from GW and they were all decent. I will say that whatever rifles these were shot in were rather large chambers as I had to bump the shoulder back 4 thou just to get it to chamber in my TS Customs cut chamber and I went back 6 thou for the first firing in my rifle.

Reactions: Ajrich
Spoke with GW yesterday and it was no hassle. Send the brass back for inspection and theyll drop new stuff in the mail.

Spoke with GW yesterday and it was no hassle. Send the brass back for inspection and theyll drop new stuff in the mail.
Please let us know what their finally conclusion is.

Please let us know what their finally conclusion is.
I will try, not sure if I will hear an answer. Kind of a strange 3 party deal but I guess adg wants brass back to inspect.

Reactions: db2000
if that was on our brass, the first thing we would look at would probably be the draw die. It’s usually a cosmetic issue on the surface when we have it happen. Without examining it closer it’s hard to say though.

Reactions: Ajrich
if that was on our brass, the first thing we would look at would probably be the draw die. It’s usually a cosmetic issue on the surface when we have it happen. Without examining it closer it’s hard to say though.
It does appear to be cosmetic but didnt want to shoot it and then say it has cracks. The cracks are not very consistent with eachother.