• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 PRC vs 300 wsm

My mistake. I changed it to G7 but the app does not change the numbers automatically. I’m Not the most informed guy with the app. Thanks for correcting me and also helping me.

Reactions: DangerRanger
Why wouldn’t you just choose 7wsm at that point? Wouldn’t there be more ammo and component availability? I do handload, but I’d probably try to avoid wildcats simply due to components and resale value

Last I looked 7 saum had better brass options than WSM, I have 7 saum dies, and like where it sits at case capacity. Little less recoil, better barrel life. Very incrimental differences.

I have Hornady, Winchester, and Bertram brass for my 7 wsm so not exactly lacking options ;)

That and a 20” 7 wsm is a 23” 7 SAUM if one wanted short and handy ;)

The only one that I'm aware of that requires anymore modification than minor stock inletting is the mountain tactical, which they have a video of on their website. It's also the one that offers the longest coal possible per specs. The rest take the Aics La mag for a max Coal of 3.500" , plenty enough for both the 6.5 prc and 300wsm that are in question, and there's already a few that have been using them for some time on here. What further modifications they require other than what's listed, is beyond me as I have no use for them, just merely stating that option exists.

Unless the AICS LA mags have a spacer block in the front to limit to Tikka max OAL, you'll have rounds ending up pushed against the front of the mag that will get caught under the feed ramp. MDT wouldn't be making special Tikka mags if this wasn't a known issue. I love my Tikka's, but they are really only set up for standard length of 3.34". Like you stated, you can get 3.5", but you need a mag that only allows for 3.5", and the AICS LA mags allow for ~3.7. Not a big deal to notch the feed ramp as R700 folks sometimes do, but it's not a simple drop in.

-Dan

Unless the AICS LA mags have a spacer block in the front to limit to Tikka max OAL, you'll have rounds ending up pushed against the front of the mag that will get caught under the feed ramp. MDT wouldn't be making special Tikka mags if this wasn't a known issue. I love my Tikka's, but they are really only set up for standard length of 3.34". Like you stated, you can get 3.5", but you need a mag that only allows for 3.5", and the AICS LA mags allow for ~3.7. Not a big deal to notch the feed ramp as R700 folks sometimes do, but it's not a simple drop in.

-Dan

Again, like I said, aside from the Mountain Tactical DBM, I don't know specifics of what exactly it takes to make them work in a Tikka. Mountain Tactical has a video explaining the installation of their product and say that to take advantage of the full length of an AICS LA mag of 3.625" or so you need to notch the feed ramp. Other than that, it's a non-issue for me since I don't own any Tikka's, nor do I plan on owning any. Being that CDI has had theirs out for six years now and there are numerous other companies making long action DBM's for Tikka's, I'd assume they're doing something to make them work just fine and keep people happy. As I also pointed out, there's folks here that have them in the Tikka thread. If you're curious about the details, I'm sure they'd be better to ask since they have a vested interest in the products and I don't, just know they've been available for some time.

I'm not sure how that works when the total length of the action opening from front of trigger pack to feed ramp is shorter than a LA AICS mag will allow. Are people cutting out the feed ramp area? I've been down this road and it's not just a drop in kinda thing.

-Dan

Our Tikka nEXTgen AICS DBM allows OAL of 3.50” with NO modification of your action or trigger housing. It shares the same bottom metal inlet as the factory T3 so fits in factory stock after filing about 1/8” from inside of stock. Drop in ready for McMillan and Manners stocks.
5E41C93A-2E1F-4252-BECA-264C560DE84B.jpeg

Reactions: Vargmat
Our Tikka nEXTgen AICS DBM allows OAL of 3.50” with NO modification of your action or trigger housing. It shares the same bottom metal inlet as the factory T3 so fits in factory stock after filing about 1/8” from inside of stock. Drop in ready for McMillan and Manners stocks. View attachment 6970728
Very cool! What mags does it take? Standard LA AICS I can buy anywhere? Maybe I'm just dense, but LA AICS mags allow you to go out to 3.6xx, right? So if I load a round to 3.50" and it slides forward to the front of the mag, will it feed? And if that's the case, why can't I just load to max of 3.6x? I thought the feed ramp was the limiting issue.

EDIT: I checked out your website and see that you moved the mag release lever, so I assume that you gained the extra length by just moving the whole mag back a bit, correct? If that's the case, it's a neat way of doing things to allow use of standard mags. I like it.

-Dan

Yes Dan. Standard 3.715” 300 WM AICS magazines. We shifted the mag well posteriorly. Rounds don’t slide forward in my 280ai and haven’t had reports from customers but if they did putting a spacer in the front of the mag would be a solution

So I called Proof and they said they do carbon TL3 pre-fits in 22" for the PRC and 24" for the 300wsm. Really was looking for a 22" 300WSM, but they said they can't do that for whatever reaosn. I already have a 24" PRC Christensen so will probably get the wsm this go around. Going to be pretty unwieldy with a can on it though :/

Looking to build a long range hunting barreled action to go in my MPA Hybrid. Have narrowed it down between 300wsm and 6.5 PRC. Here's what I'm looking to do with it and limitations:

1. Deer, mule, elk hunt out to ~800 yards (about as far as I'm confident taking a shot with these rounds if conditions are right)
2. Want a short action to keep length and weight down
3. Looking for .5 MOA accuracy or better
4. Looking to keep weight to a minimum

The two options I'm considering are a Christensen Arms MPR in 6.5 PRC, or an Impact with Light/Medium Palma 24" Bartlien barrel. I previously owned a 6.5 Creed PRC and it was a great rifle.

Really what I need is some direction on which round would be better suited for hunting. I have purpose built competition rifles and truck guns. This rifle would not be used like that. Could potentially go on an elk hunt (hiking), so weight is important. I like that the 6.5 PRC has less recoil but the 300 wsm has more energy. The 6.5 has nice high BC bullets (147 ELD). I reload so I can pick any bullet or powder combo.

Last edited:
Looking to build a long range hunting barreled action to go in my MPA Hybrid. Have narrowed it down between 300wsm and 6.5 PRC. Here's what I'm looking to do with it and limitations:

1. Deer, mule, elk hunt out to ~800 yards (about as far as I'm confident taking a shot with these rounds if conditions are right)

The two options I'm considering are a Christensen Arms MPR in 6.5 PRC, or an Impact with Light/Medium Palma 24" Bartlien barrel. I previously owned a 6.5 Creed PRC and it was a great rifle.

Really what I need is some direction on which round would be better suited for hunting. I have purpose built competition rifles and truck guns. This rifle would not be used like that. Could potentially go on an elk hunt (hiking), so weight is important. I like that the 6.5 PRC has less recoil but the 300 wsm has more energy. The 6.5 has nice high BC bullets (147 ELD). I reload so I can pick any bullet or powder combo.
LMAO

And for what it’s worth to bring closer to the thread I built a 300wsm and didn’t like it. Too much sharp recoil and accuracy wasn’t fantastic with the proof barrel. So I have a 28 nosler now with carbon barrel and stock. Berger 180s at 3100

When I hunted the “High Lonesome “ and still would shoot an animal in another Zip code I used a 300 Win Mag with a 28” bbl that drove tax’s. I’m currently working on a 6.5 PRC M18 and with 127 Gr Barnes LRX id trust it to do the job. I usually try and limit my kill shot to around 400 yards in my old age. Been using my Sako TRG 308 with Barnes TTSX 165-168 Gr.

I bet for every one of those shots there are at least 20-30 shots(maybe more), that just wound elks only to let them suffer.

Fukin facts. Thats guaranteed.

And for what it’s worth to bring closer to the thread I built a 300wsm and didn’t like it. Too much sharp recoil and accuracy wasn’t fantastic with the proof barrel. So I have a 28 nosler now with carbon barrel and stock. Berger 180s at 3100
What barrel length do you use with that 28 nosler? I'm in a similar situation you originally were, I'm considering getting a lightweight rifle to hunt with a suppressor hiking in the mountains that could work for deer and elk out to 600 yards or maybe a little further. 6.5 prc and 300 wsm both seem like they have good potential. I really like the 28 nosler but if I go that route I'm not sure how short is too short to where I should just go with a different caliber.

I really love my 6.5 prc, it shoots very well. The recoil is to me way lower than my 308. If I want to hunt up north I can use it on mule deer as well as elk. I hunt in s tx, and will get a chsnve to try it out this season.

Reactions: Behyot
Not sure what’s so funny besides my typo of 6.5 creed/PRC. I obviously know they are different rounds it was a typo.

You’re also commenting on a thread that’s years old. That might be the funniest part.
I like necroposts and don’t care you think it’s the funniest part. I always laugh at comments by folks that feel the need to give such details of their personal situations. I know that’s big with millennials and younger. But I come from a background of not needing the world to the experience of every aspect of my life. Nor to publicly post it on forums and other social media- that’s what’s funny- LMAO

I like necroposts and don’t care you think it’s the funniest part. I always laugh at comments by folks that feel the need to give such details of their personal situations. I know that’s big with millennials and younger. But I come from a background of not needing the world to the experience of every aspect of my life. Nor to publicly post it on forums and other social media- that’s what’s funny- LMAO

Then stay off forums that post personal experiences, including this one. Pretty simple. You’re obviously just a worthless troll that won’t be missed by anyone in this community.

Reactions: 1J04 and spife7980
Then stay off forums that post personal experiences, including this one. Pretty simple. You’re obviously just a worthless troll that won’t be missed by anyone in this community.
One is not a troll because they find the “look at me , I’m desperate to be noticed”
funny. Your childish emotions are also funny-LMAO.

Did you come here just to be a douchebag? There was nothing about his post that detailed anything personal. He was asking for opinions based on what his needs were so that people with experience could make a useful recommendation.

If that's a problem for you then perhaps you should stay off the internet.

Did you come here just to be a douchebag? There was nothing about his post that detailed anything personal. He was asking for opinions based on what his needs were so that people with experience could make a useful recommendation.

If that's a problem for you then perhaps you should stay off the internet.
Whatever-either you get it or you don't. Either way I could care less what you think.

I really like your new look. The new skin tone really accentuates your ear hair.

Well thank you for noticing and the wonderful comment regarding such. It's always nice when someone goes outta their way to praise one's efforts to better themselves, and this is no different. You know what I always say, just a Squirrel in my world try'n to get a nut............... 😂

On the real though, who is this asshat? Uncle Bob has adversely affected him with his late night bedroom visits and balls deep prodding while Mom is punching out Tricks on the corner of 148th and Cuckold. Pathetic. ;)

Well thank you for noticing and the wonderful comment regarding such. It's always nice when someone goes outta their way to praise one's efforts to better themselves, and this is no different. You know what I always say, just a Squirrel in my world try'n to get a nut............... 😂

On the real though, who is this asshat? Uncle Bob has adversely affected him with his late night bedroom visits and balls deep prodding while Mom is punching out Tricks on the corner of 148th and Cuckold. Pathetic. ;)
I don't know why the Squirrel Mafia has their collective knickers in a knot. :unsure:

This guy really is amateur hour. I expected better. Much, much better.

PapaRocks better.........:eek::ROFLMAO::cool:

Reactions: Snipe260 and 1J04
Emotionally, I just want to suppress my feelings and put the whole, sordid, traumatic experience behind me......o_O
And yet, here you are, you poor violated soul. Lucky for you we are here. Listening, caring.....like a big shoulder or yes, a big toe.
You can't keep your thumb on it forever, it gonna blow......🤣

And yet, here you are, you poor violated soul. Lucky for you we are here. Listening, caring.....like a big shoulder or yes, a big toe.
You can't keep your thumb on it forever, it gonna blow......🤣
Thank You kind Sir, I am so extraordinarily grateful for your warm and compassionate counsel. ;)