• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 prc

I am planning on converting an AIAW 300WM to a 6.5PRC. I think I will have feeding issues but will have to wait another month to get the barrel

I'm not sure what problem this cartridge is solving. If I am buying a short magnum, I expect short magnum performance. This round appears to be pushing 140 grain bullets right under 3,000fps (according to Hornady) - just a little faster than the 6.5 Creedmoore.

My 24" 6.5 SAUM is comfortably pushing 140 grain bullets at 3,150fps. This feels like something in between a 6.5 Creedmoore and a 6.5 SAUM with the disadvantages of a magnum bolt face and reduced magazine capacity.

No comprende on why this makes sense. Why not just standardize on the 6.5 SAUM 4S (maybe renaming it) vs. creating a new round. Hornady already makes the 6.5 SAUM brass for GAP. Does anyone else have more insight?

--Roothsot
What’s your brass life, heard 6.5 prc guys holding primers, not fighting brass. I’m going to build one or the other thanks

I like the concept of the 6.5 SAUM, but right now it's much more of a hassle for people to actually shoot. Because Hornady has really thrown their support behind the 6.5 PRC, I can go to Cabela's and buy a box of it that's loaded and ready to go. It's not easy to even buy 6.5 SAUM brass, and nobody sells factory ammo for it. I know a bunch of you guys don't care because you reload everything you shoot, but for people like me that don't always have the time to reload, the ability to buy a few boxes or a case of factory ammo for when I want to shoot without having to load my own is pretty attractive, even if that does lose me 5% muzzle velocity. Honestly I'd be even happier if Federal or Hornady or someone had really started supporting 6.5 SAUM, but if I was going to build one or the other today, it'd be a 6.5 PRC since I think it's much more likely to become a mainstream cartridge like the Creedmoor did.

I like the concept of the 6.5 SAUM, but right now it's much more of a hassle for people to actually shoot. Because Hornady has really thrown their support behind the 6.5 PRC, I can go to Cabela's and buy a box of it that's loaded and ready to go. It's not easy to even buy 6.5 SAUM brass, and nobody sells factory ammo for it. I know a bunch of you guys don't care because you reload everything you shoot, but for people like me that don't always have the time to reload, the ability to buy a few boxes or a case of factory ammo for when I want to shoot without having to load my own is pretty attractive, even if that does lose me 5% muzzle velocity. Honestly I'd be even happier if Federal or Hornady or someone had really started supporting 6.5 SAUM, but if I was going to build one or the other today, it'd be a 6.5 PRC since I think it's much more likely to become a mainstream cartridge like the Creedmoor did.

I agree, I’ve tried reloading in the past and it was nice but time consuming. I’d rather spend that extra time shooting or with family. If that means spending more for ammo then so be it, I mean this isn’t a cheap hobby anyway and I knew that going into it. The 6.5 PRC has intrigued me and all my parts are at Short Action Customs. Just waiting on that reamer.

I agree with above. I have already steered multiple guys looking for a do-all hunting gun towards the 6.5 PRC. That said, I have several rifles in 6.5 SAUM, 6.5-284, 260, 6.5 CM, and recently bought a 6.5 PRC in Seekins Havak which I'm really impressed by at the price point.

I admit to having a gun purchasing "problem" but no regrets.

My biggest issue with the round is this. I went to three different gun stores near me today. Not a single one had PRC ammo on the shelf. I'd be going mad if I bought a rifle that I couldn't find ammo for. Maybe the support will kick up in the coming months.

My biggest issue with the round is this. I went to three different gun stores near me today. Not a single one had PRC ammo on the shelf. I'd be going mad if I bought a rifle that I couldn't find ammo for. Maybe the support will kick up in the coming months.

Well the same was also said about 6.5 Creedmoor when it was released. It wasn’t really mainstream adopted until about 2 years ago. Everyone just needs to give it a little time.

Reactions: Maxduty
GAP has brass. You can use H1000 powder so you don't have to spend your time hunting for H4350. Supposedly (I personally didn't see the post), GAP posted on FB that they got 3000 fps from a 24" Bartlein barrel with a 147gr bullet @ 2.945" COL with 58.2 gr of H1000. Don't know what other particulars (DA, etc.). Seems pretty good to me.

Can 6.5 PRC feed from an AW mag?

I'd like to know this ^^^ too, and how many. Seems like I read that the Seekins Havak can take AW mags. Also wondering how many rounds would fit in a ARC mag with an extender?

Thank you for the pdf. I can't wait until I get my 6.5 PRC barrel for my AI AXMC. Just waiting for MHSA to call...

Those a basically SAUM-level performance levels... no?

I was at Sportsman Warehouse the other day and they had it on the shelf. I remember when you couldn't find much in the way of 6.5 creedmoor ammo and now walmart has several choices. I'd guess most early adopters aren't too worried about finding ammo on the local shelf.

So I watched the Utube video of George talking about the genesis of the 6.5PRC round- to get something just under the 3200fps PRS threshold and the 6.5 made the most sense. He speifically says 3150 as a goal, but the commercial ammo is 2950? Is the thought that handloaded will cover that gap and they didn't want it close in case a barrel/temp combo would get you over 3200?

Mine should be done in a couple weeks.Im planning to start with RL26, anyone who has been loading have better luck with something else?

I'm really considering starting a build in 6.5 PRC. The only thing that's holding be back is lack of finding a pre-fit barrel for a savage style action and I'm not sure I want to buy a reamer.

Dies, brass and factory ammo available at every big box store I've been to lately. Still no guns to put it through yet. Like others have stated, I think my 300WM might get a PRC barrel. Its already got a .532 bolt face and plenty of room to load long.

If Norma makes PRC brass that will be huge for the popularity of the round. It's pretty much settled that I will be building a rifle in 6.5 PRC I'd just like to see a pre-fit or finished cambered barral come out for it.

I just picked up my AI AXMC 6.5 PRC barrel from MHSA today. They have a carbide reamer and have several builds being machined now.

6.5 PRC in Production Division seem like a viable angle, provided factory ammo shoots as good as the Hornady 6.5 Creed stuff does.

Seems like that's the 6.5 PRC niche...factory ammo support.

If building a custom....and mashing your own rounds...why not use 7 RSAUM Norma brass and either turn the extra case capacity into 75-100 fps for the heavier bullets, or lower pressure/case life for the medium/lighter bullets.

With the high BC 6.5 bullets getting longer/heavier, and as popular as the 7 RSAUM is in square range F-Open competition, you can bet brass mfgs have 7 RSAUM on their short list for proposed production.

Glad to see the choices and options are out there.

I just picked up my AI AXMC 6.5 PRC barrel from MHSA today. They have a carbide reamer and have several builds being machined now.

As I wrap my head around the PRS rounds from 224V-6CM-6.5CM-6.5PRC, the AI AXMC for the PRC round makes a lot of sense. I’m not totally familiar with the AXMC chassis- So you’d use the 300WM bolt and do those mags work?

6.5 PRC in Production Division seem like a viable angle, provided factory ammo shoots as good as the Hornady 6.5 Creed stuff does.

Seems like that's the 6.5 PRC niche...factory ammo support.

If building a custom....and mashing your own rounds...why not use 7 RSAUM Norma brass and either turn the extra case capacity into 75-100 fps for the heavier bullets, or lower pressure/case life for the medium/lighter bullets.

With the high BC 6.5 bullets getting longer/heavier, and as popular as the 7 RSAUM is in square range F-Open competition, you can bet brass mfgs have 7 RSAUM on their short list for proposed production.

Glad to see the choices and options are out there.

A friend of mine was considering doing this exact same thing. But after looking at the 6.5 PRC, he changed his mind and is having a custom built around it instead. He does not plan on buying factory ammo, he bought supplies to reload. He has a lot of H1000, Retumbo, etc. that he plans on doing load development with.

As to why he changed his mind, I'm not too sure but he has 3 young children and time is always a factor for him.

As I wrap my head around the PRS rounds from 224V-6CM-6.5CM-6.5PRC, the AI AXMC for the PRC round makes a lot of sense. I’m not totally familiar with the AXMC chassis- So you’d use the 300WM bolt and do those mags work?
Yes, I'm using the Magnum bolt and the Magnum mags. Filled a mag in the store with 10 rounds and the rounds cycled thru as fast as one could work the bolt. If I have a problem with the rounds moving forward and back in the overly long mag, I'm going to build a nylon insert of some type.

Last edited:
A friend of mine was considering doing this exact same thing. But after looking at the 6.5 PRC, he changed his mind and is having a custom built around it instead. He does not plan on buying factory ammo, he bought supplies to reload. He has a lot of H1000, Retumbo, etc. that he plans on doing load development with.

As to why he changed his mind, I'm not too sure but he has 3 young children and time is always a factor for him.

He may have watched one neck turning video, and said not for me!

It's pretty sweet to have this many great choices....6.5 Swede/Creed/47 Lapua brass, PRC great performance with factory ammo support, SAUM/4S Norma brass top level performance...hard to go wrong, best to pick one and get good at shooting it.

He may have watched one neck turning video, and said not for me!

It's pretty sweet to have this many great choices....6.5 Swede/Creed/47 Lapua brass, PRC great performance with factory ammo support, SAUM/4S Norma brass top level performance...hard to go wrong, best to pick one and get good at shooting it.

Yes, he does have some sort of 7mm wildcat now so I think that you are right - he probably just want to size, prime, dump powder, push bullet in and go shoot :)

I have done the 50BMG, 338LM, 300WM, 308, various wildcats before - I was looking for something faster than the 6.5CM but still simple too.

I'm really considering starting a build in 6.5 PRC. The only thing that's holding be back is lack of finding a pre-fit barrel for a savage style action and I'm not sure I want to buy a reamer.
Not sure how you feel about them, but McGowen and Carbonsix offer the PRC in a Savage pre-fit.

Not sure how you feel about them, but McGowen and Carbonsix offer the PRC in a Savage pre-fit.
Honestly I haven't heard much about them. As of right now I only checked a few main barrel companies (Criterion, Bartlein, Krieger) and so far they don't have reamers but will build one for the added cost of the tooling.

Honestly I haven't heard much about them. As of right now I only checked a few main barrel companies (Criterion, Bartlein, Krieger) and so far they don't have reamers but will build one for the added cost of the tooling.

You might want to give MHSA (Mile High Shooting Accesories) a call. They have the reamer and stock Bartlein and Proof barrel blanks.

- Carl

Reactions: Robby0931
Yes, I'm using the Magnum bolt and the Magnum mags. Filled a mag in the store with 10 rounds and the rounds cycled thru as fast as one could work the bolt. If I have a problem with the rounds moving forward and back in the overly long mag, I'm going to build a nylon insert of some type.

The round would fit into the 308 mag for length- but would the lips allow it to feed? I guess the AX308 would work if there was a magnum face bolt for that short action? Is there?

The round would fit into the 308 mag for length- but would the lips allow it to feed? I guess the AX308 would work if there was a magnum face bolt for that short action? Is there?

I do not believe that you can get a magnum bolt for an AX308..

Anyways, I believe that he short action AX mag is a little too narrow to work. The rounds will load in the mag but they will pop out if you jar the mag.

I could load up the mag but even inserting it into the mag well can cause the top round to pop out. Or if they stay in, when running the bolt, the top 2 rounds pop out so you are trying to feed 2 rounds into the chamber at once.

The width of the short action AX magazine is not quite wide enough for the fatter rounds so the spring tension wants to roll the round on top out of the magazine instead of the feed lip fully containing it. It might be that you could bend the feed lips in a bit and get it to work but I haven't tried it.

Also, the rounds might work in an AICS mag (which I believe will work in an AX308 or AXMC) but I don't have any to try out.

If you haven't seen the below video yet fast forward to the 4min mark and George will explain 6.5 SAUM (GAP 4S) vs PRC. Sounds like he wanted Hornady to make this a while back and they were too busy so they helped him produce the GAP 4S brass. After realizing the popularity they came back and re-branded 300RCM as the PRC. If you don't reload get the PRC, if you want a little extra HP and reload get the SAUM.

I have been on the fence about ordering one of GAPs Xtreme Hunters, only hold up has been that I do not reload and Copper Creeek has the only loaded SAUM ammo I have seen. I am now ordering this in the PRC.

Well I'll be, Hornady shows 3150 with a 143 ELD-X and RL26. Seems like a winning combination for a multipurpose rifle, hunting and match.

If you don’t mind me asking, what did they get you for on that barrel? I’m in the same boat with an AXMC and a buddy can spin me up a 6.5saum for a fairly decent price, but I’m lazy and would rather buy factory ammo if it shoots well

Anyone have load info from experience yet? I see Hornady's brief page of data calling for Federal 210 primer, but I've also seen guys in other forums swearing by 215M?

Bumping an older thread. My first go into research and a combo hunting/prs rifle have lured me to the 6.5 calibers and after more searching the PRC. Any updates from shooters of the PRC on this forum?

Thanks all

I'm not sure what problem this cartridge is solving. If I am buying a short magnum, I expect short magnum performance. This round appears to be pushing 140 grain bullets right under 3,000fps (according to Hornady) - just a little faster than the 6.5 Creedmoore.

My 24" 6.5 SAUM is comfortably pushing 140 grain bullets at 3,150fps. This feels like something in between a 6.5 Creedmoore and a 6.5 SAUM with the disadvantages of a magnum bolt face and reduced magazine capacity.

No comprende on why this makes sense. Why not just standardize on the 6.5 SAUM 4S (maybe renaming it) vs. creating a new round. Hornady already makes the 6.5 SAUM brass for GAP. Does anyone else have more insight?

--Roothsot

My 6.5 RSAUM w/26" Bartlein 8.5 twist is pushing 147 ELD M's at 3091 fps so what Rootshot said.

And thanks to Hornady for designing the 147 ELD M bullet. It's a fine match grade high BC bullet that's also devastating on animals. This past season the hog I harvested at 703 yards and the whitetail doe at 620 both dropped in their tracks.

Reactions: QuarterHorse
You all are whining about how handloaders with access to pressure testing equipment aren’t getting the velocities you can get running your Creedmoor at 72,000 PSI. I’m sure if you wanted to run a PRC that hot you’d get lots of velocity too.

Reactions: alaskalanche
There have already been handloaders that have shown that the 6.5PRC can run nearly step for step with the 6.5SAUM. What's the problem here? If you're shooting for precision and you're not reloading, there's something wrong.