• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Remington SAUM vs. 6.5 Creedmoor

Flyinace7

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2013
I am just gettin into long range shooting. I want to build either a 6.5 Rem SAUM (Leaning more towards) or a 6.5 Creedmoor. If anybody has an input I would appreciate it. I want to end up getting out to a mile. Thanks again for the help!

Reactions: TheTexasFox
I have a 6.5 Creedmoor and even though I've shot pass 1600yds with it, the splash is very hard to see. That is a consideration with anything 6.5 or smaller. That's when I pull out my 7wsm.

the 6.5 RSAUM is great for hunting prolong (speed goats) on the open prairie. It will, however, burn out your barrel so fast that you will regret choosing it if you like shooting at the range on a regular basis. That's where the 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Remington and 6.5x47 Lapua really rule the roost.

Barrel life isn't even comparable between a 6.5x284 and 6.5 Creedmoor so I can't imagine the 6.5 SAUM even anywhere near the same barrel life. If you're going with a short barrel life magnum round for 1 mile I would look at the 7mm magnums.

It's hard to get a practical but good 1 mile round. Unless you're definitely going to be shooting that type of range I would get something more practical with longer barrel life and cheaper ammo costs initially and then build a dedicated mile rifle at a later date if you find that type of rifle fits your needs. 6.5 Creedmoor and 260 are excellent calibers to near that range without high ammo costs or poor barrel life.

If I were shooting a mile, I would want a 30 cal at least, and preferably a 338

Are you aware of the brass situation of the saum? There's not much out there, and Remington isn't acting very fast on it.
If you're set on the saum, I'd look at the 6.5WSM or 6.5-300WSM, same, both will get to a mile, but the sevin in either will kick their ass on a windy day. The bullets, even though very good, are just too lite.

Thanks for the info. I have been trying to find some info and have found both pros and cons about the 6.5 RSAUM. I would mostly be averaging 1000yds. I Haven't really looked into the 260 but its worth doing some research on.

Sounds like what you need is a prescription of .260 or 6.5CM, the SAUM is a kick ass round, but not the best for your described intentions. I'll echo what Milo said, if you wanna shoot past 1k, go with the 7saum or wsm.

Perhaps you should consider a 284 Win? It's more aptly built in a long action, but technically a short action cartridge. It has more umph than the 6.5s but it's not going to be a barrel burner like the 7 WSM or the 6.5x284. The 6.5 RSAUM is a great round for a hunting rifle; I think that's the caliber George Gardner uses in his.

Are you aware of the brass situation of the saum? There's not much out there, and Remington isn't acting very fast on it.
If you're set on the saum, I'd look at the 6.5WSM or 6.5-300WSM, same, both will get to a mile, but the sevin in either will kick their ass on a windy day. The bullets, even though very good, are just too lite.

The only problem with the 6.5 WSM or 6.5-300 WSM is the short throat on the case, same mag issues as the WSM's and the case volume. I was talking to George from gap a couple of weeks ago about this. The 6.5 rsaum will push 140 class at 3400 at full power, and if your gonna shoot comps with it you can run 3100 with very low pressure and get impressive barrel life.

I am just gettin into long range shooting. I want to build either a 6.5 Rem SAUM (Leaning more towards) or a 6.5 Creedmoor. If anybody has an input I would appreciate it. I want to end up getting out to a mile. Thanks again for the help!

Going to mile I'd say you are into the bigger 7mm range at minimum: 7 RM, 7 SAUM, 7 WSM

300 NM with 230 Berger
338 NM with 300 Berger

Talking with a customer of mine who shot both 300 NM and 338 LM at ELR course. Ballistics of 300 NM were plenty good, just hard to see splash of 230gr, 30 cal vs 300 gr 338 way out there.

7 SAC, aka 7 Creedmoor, is a nice little round but not one I'd take to a mile.

I'm trying to stay with short action only because I already have a stock. Also finding brass for the 6.5 RSAUM is harder to find than the 6.5CD and 260. I have got it narrowed down to these two. Does anybody have either and can tell me which someone just starting out can do good with!

7 creedmoor why not just use the 7-08

Or any -08. Wildcating a CM has no magic that hasn't been done, it's just newer. The OP has grand intentions best left to the magnum crowd; x vs. y at one mile. I'm tuned in to see what the input is.

Last edited:
I'm with you 100%. If you are going to a mile or past I would pull out a large 30 or 338. But for me and the shooting I do my 6.5X47 Lapua is more than enough. Plus with my 6.5 it's first or second round hits at 1,200yds in mild winds up to 7-8 MPH

When I was doing a lot of shooting at the range to keep from going nuts with all the "spare time" I had on my hands, I found that going from 140 grain 6.5mm bullets to 208 grain .30 caliber bullets made a huge difference at (only) 1225-1250 yards. Sure, faster speed makes for a bigger splash. But there is no substitute for MASS. 208-240 grain bullets hit a lot harder and throw up a lot more dirt, rock and snow. I pick the .300 Win Mag loaded heavy and hot over the little 6.5mm's at long distance any day.

If you want to stay with a short action, definitely go with the 7mm WSM with Seekins or Alpha mags. I have a rifle which uses Alpha mags and I'm throwing the 180 Bergers @2950fps from a 28" melonited barrel without a problem.

I know close to zero about the SAUM except it can use same bullets I like?! That being said, I've take 3 of my 4 6.5 Creedmoor rifles to hit the 1-mile 40"×40" target at the now closes Triple C Ranch in Cresson, TX about 60 minutes from my home to gate, 15 minutes to check in location, then 10 minutes back to 1,000-2,000 yds range. On my self-named YouTube Channels, I even had a cold-bore hit, yet it was so hazy, I couldn't see the indicator lights until going through my iPhone videos to delete next day. We had 50x Vortex plus 4x power on iPhone camera, yet our naked eyes on that day didn't see it blinking red. The harder the impact, the brighter the light. I ALWAYS competed with either Hornady 140 gr ELD-M or a few times the 135 gr ELD A-Tips. However, I never could hit 1-mile unless I used the 147 gr ELD-M. My 100 yds indoors MOA was WAY better on 140 gr than any other, but getting through transonic the 147 gr did the trick. Anything 1,518 yds or closer, use 140 gr, but at 1,530 yds is where transonic hits approximately. Also, for D.O.P.E. simply lower your actual fps by 71 fps in calculator, that'll compensate for transonic parasitic losses. You'll be aimed at approximately 137 ft apex, but in reality, it'll just clear a 97 ft obstacle. Hope this helps, happy shooting!!! PM me for my YouTube links

• Wow
Reactions: schmi015