• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 SAUM 4s over 10lb Tactical Rifle Thread

bas402

Bolt Shooter
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2010
    NE Oklahoma
    Since there is a thread for the Extreme Hunter, I thought that there needed to be a thread for the tactical rifles in the same caliber.

Please post pic's and spec's of yours.

I was getting ready to build a 6.5 WSM and the 6.5 SAUM 4s peeked my interest in September 2013 as I was already thinking about tweener caliber between my .260 and my 7WSM you know reduced recoil than my 7WSM and better in the wind than my .260 but also didn't want a L/A or feeding issues sometimes noted with the WSM case from a mag. On the front page this caliber seemed to fit the bill and with the claimed longer barrel life and improved brass life (huge factor in tactical rifles) I decided to give it a go. Since I have been shooting a DTA for the last (2) years and got hooked on the ease of caliber change but the mags are restrictive and desided to go back to a conventional build but switch barrel (6.5 SAUM/ .260). This presented another issue, different bolt faces... That's where AJ's Bighorn action fit the bill, then next to get with my smith (Patrick Jones @ TriggerTimeGunClub) and discuss the build, order parts, and wait. I just picked it up last week, got my scope mounted and thought I would show it off.
    Spec's of my build:
    Bighorn TL2 AW cut 20 MOA rail (mag & std bolt faces)
    (2) Chanlynn 6.5-1:85 Hvy Palma's threaded 5/8X24 finished @ 26"
    (1)6.5 SAUM .296" nk non fluted
    (1) .260 Lapua match straight fluted
    Surgeon DBM
    Manners T4-A midnight camo
    Metal Cerakote sniper grey
    AW mags for the .260
    Accurate Mag WSM for the SAUM
    Timney CE @ 2.5lbs
    Spuhr SP-4601
    Premier 5-25X56 moa
    PSR Atlas Bipod

Some quick pic's

Last edited:
    actually kinda curious to see what people post up. Seems to be uber popular as a hunting round but I wonder how many are using it for matches too....

I am extremely interested in this thread. Specifically curious about heat in longer strings and barrel contour selection. I am wondering if the physics that make it easy on throats will allow the use of lighter contours.

Mine will be here this week!! My hunting rifle is delayed a bit but my heavy gun will be spitn' Bergers before the end of the week hopefully:

Remington Stainless Short Action
    Trued by Longrifles Inc
    PTG One Piece Bolt, Fluted
    Timney Calvin Elite Trigger
    Nightforce 20MOA Rail 8-40 holes
    Wyatt Extended Box
    PTG Canoe Style Hinged Floor Plate
    PTG Recoil Lug, pinned
    Kreiger 1:8.5 5R Sendero Contour at 26"
    6.5 SAUM 4S .2962 neck, .081 FB
    Threaded 5/8-24
    Graphite Black Cerakote Barreled Action
    Manners T4 OD Green, Flush Cups, Badger EFR, Atlas Rail,
    Atlas Bipod w/ADM QD
    Badger Rings
    Nightforce ATACR MOAR
    AADMount Scope Caps

Reactions: Mozak
    Here's mine. All work done by Accurate Ordnance. Sentinel is 40% black, 40% white, 20% light gray. All metal is Tungsten Cerakote

IMG_3683_zpseece0312.jpg

IMG_3688_zps3840cf68.jpg

IMG_3686_zpsb17342e8.jpg

I am extremely interested in this thread. Specifically curious about heat in longer strings and barrel contour selection. I am wondering if the physics that make it easy on throats will allow the use of lighter contours.

I am interested in the same thing that's why I had to buld one. I have observered "bone collector" on here shooting matches and he has no issues that I'm aware of but I'm unsure of his contour.

Swagger will be here in about 2 minutes.....

45min clay.... I heard the bell, just got into the kettle 1! (It's Fathers day) ;)

Surgeon 591R action / Jewell trigger / 25 7/8" Krieger MTU contour 1:8.5 twist 5R / Cerakoted Flat Dark Earth / Badger Ordnace FTE muzzle brake / KMW Sentinel stock GAP camo / Nightforce 1.125" UL rings / Nightforce NXS 5-25x56 ATACR MOAR / Atlas Bipod / PTG GAP 6.5 SAUM 4S .2962 NK .081 FB

bas402, that's a beautiful rifle, congrats! Welcome to the club, this could be an interesting thread.

Last edited:
    I am interested in the same thing that's why I had to build one. I have observed "bone collector" on here shooting matches and he has no issues that I'm aware of but I'm unsure of his contour.

I have a Bartlein medium Palma contour and real happy with it, have had no problems with this rifle in 6.5 4S, originally it was a 7wsm and when the barrel went bad last year I sent it off to GAP to have it rebarreled and have over 1200 rounds down the tube now.

14m5l4k.jpg

Last edited:
    DTA with a 24" barrel. Using 130 VLD bullets. Love this little package! uploadfromtaptalk1402932903057.jpg

Who did your barrel? Ty at Sin City? what mag are you using? any feeding issues?
    using the Magnum mag, no issues if yoy feed it at a steady pace. not too fast or too slow. yes from sin City

Sweet!

How is the accuracy? Has muzzle blast been an issue at all?
    The accuracy is good. No muzzle blast at all. I was shooting it today out to 500 the farthest we can where I'm at. It gets there fast! very little recoil. 3 shit groups at 500 were well under 4 inches. didn't measure exactly. I will measure on Friday. no complaints so far. I will definitely be getting an Extreme Hunter in the future

Tag for my spot! My M40 contoured 6.5 SAUM should be here Wednesday. I also have a Rem 700 SA Mag bolt face that I plan on using for lightweight build.

Here is mine. Defiantly not a hunting rig.

6.5 SAUM .298 NK reamer
    26" M24 8 twist bartlien barrel
    AICS 1.5
    Nitrited barrel and action
    S&B 5-25 H2CMR
    Thunderbeast 30P-1 it always on there when I'm shooting.
    Shooting 140 Hybrids and it shoots them great.

24FBEF20-35B8-4890-BA52-6BE812E9672D-3799-0000061DCBC6F02E_zps0fcee4d1.jpg

Last edited:
    Here's mine. All work done by Accurate Ordnance. Sentinel is 40% black, 40% white, 20% light gray. All metal is Tungsten Cerakote

IMG_3683_zpseece0312.jpg

IMG_3688_zps3840cf68.jpg

IMG_3686_zpsb17342e8.jpg

What reamer did they use? I tried to get AO to build me one with the reamer from PT&G, but they didnt seem too interested in doing so

He said almost all their reamers are from JGS, but the 6.5saum was the same spec as PTG. I only tried one load it was the standard 61gr H1000 with a 140vld with excellent results. I wouldn't hesitate to use them regardless of who makes the reamer.

.298. The reamer specs are on the card above. I used brass that was prepped for .296 but it didn't seem to hurt accuracy at all

Tag.

As much fun as I'm having with mine, a tactical weight version has to be my next build.

He said almost all their reamers are from JGS, but the 6.5saum was the same spec as PTG. I only tried one load it was the standard 61gr H1000 with a 140vld with excellent results. I wouldn't hesitate to use them regardless of who makes the reamer.

what kind of velosity are you getting?

6.5 SAUM 4s over 10lb Tactical Rifle Thread

SAC built 6.5 SAUM

Alpha 11 receiver Melonited bolt
    26" Bartlein M40 contour Kampfield heavy flutes
    KMW Sentinel 33%Black 33%Tan 33%Green
    KMW bottom metal
    Accurate Mag
    Timney 510U trigger
    nu3y9e6u.jpg

qujy5uve.jpg

6a3ygyny.jpg

Tag for my place in line.
    Surgeon 591wsm
    Kwm sentinel
    Barrel headed to crescent customs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few questions on this caliber. The 6.5 SAUM 4S .296 NK, what does the 4S and .296 NK stand for. Next question how much does the brass cost for this gun. Don't you use .300 SAUM and neck down? How much life do you get out of the brass? What dies are required for brass sizing?

Thanks
    Rich L

A few questions on this caliber. The 6.5 SAUM 4S .296 NK, what does the 4S and .296 NK stand for. Next question how much does the brass cost for this gun. Don't you use .300 SAUM and neck down? How much life do you get out of the brass? What dies are required for brass sizing?

Thanks
    Rich L

All of your questions will be answered in the 6.5 SAUM extreme hunter thread.

4S - Super Secret Squirrel Shit
    .296 NK - .296" chamber reamer's neck dimension
    Rifle cost - choose a smith and ask them, depends on which options you choose ~1-5K. These look like ~3500-4500
    Brass - either 7mm or 300 SAUM brass can be used $.60-2.00 depending on how much prep work you want to do
    Brass life - not sure, but it's high
    Dies - Redding and Whidden are available, Copper Creek had Redding in stock

SAC built 6.5 SAUM

Alpha 11 receiver Melonited bolt
    26" Bartlein M40 contour Kampfield heavy flutes
    KMW Sentinel 33%Black 33%Tan 33%Green
    KMW bottom metal
    Accurate Mag
    Timney 510U trigger
    nu3y9e6u.jpg

qujy5uve.jpg

6a3ygyny.jpg
    Beautiful piece, Mark does very nice work. I see allot of these KMW stocks being used tell me is the thumb hole grip that much different than the AICS or the T5A?

Last edited:
    Here's mine, based on an old Savage model 10. I got the reamer before the proper parts to build the rifle so did this one from parts I had lying around. I loaded it a bit hot and jammed the extractor first time out so waiting on some parts to get it going again. It was starting to look like a really good thing up to that point. I have a Lilja 1:8" twist medium Palma barrel and a Stiller Tac 30 on the way to do the good one.

IMG_2125.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

Here's mine

Bat tactical SA
    26" heavy Palma krieger 5r 1-8.5
    Manners TF4A with surgeon DBM and alpha mags
    Jewel trigger set a 12 oz
    Thunderbeast 30p-1
    Atlas bipod
    Near alpha mount with Schmidt 5x25x56 gen2xr
    Weighs in at 16.1 pounds
    Smith work done by Omar Alonzo in Pasadena TX

equzk2.jpg

14bjgp4.jpg

2ykfkzl.jpg

Nice shooting Bob L Swagger.

This was shot from my GAP at a 100 yards while testing some loads with Retumbo and suppressed with a 30P1
    2e2mf5j.jpg

I have a plan for a 6.5 SAUM build.

The major components:

Templar II action
    T5A w/ Elite Carbon option, Elite Dark Forest paint job.
    25in Bartline, medium palma barrel
    March 3-24x52
    Tuned Remington trigger

It should weigh in right at 13lbs.

I don't have any pics right now lost my camera but mines will shoot 1/2 out to a 1000 and I've shot several groups that were 3"s at a 1000, I've taken the saum out to 1600 yards shooting rocks that were the size of a small round watermelon, once we got the elevation on we were hitting the rocks we set out pretty regularly, I was surprised at how well it shot at that distance

David

Here's a group with Papa's gun at 200 when we were function testing and check the accuracy on it before delivering it to him

200 yards 8 shot group

103icd2.jpg

I'm going to have to build a 6.5 SAUM, it's not an option anymore, now a requirement. I'm just building it to have one with no set goals but would like all around utility (killing stick and maybe a match here and there). So I've got two options:

A: Build it on the manners EH1 I just received for R700 SA with straight bolt and medium Palma contour in GAP elite camo. This was ordered to do a all around build with and I went with the APA bottom metal inlet for that very reason. A 26" medium Palma stuff in this in 6.5 SAUM would make a hell of an all around rifle.

Or

B: I'm going to order a sentinel with the same specs (but KMW bottom metal of course) as soon as I decide what color I want and build it on that.

I'm leaning towards A. Better all around setup and I already have the part that takes he longest to get.

That sounds like an awesome build, you won't regret it for sure, I've been shooting mine for 2 years now and it's one of my favorite cartridges, the 300 Norma and 338 lapua AI being my favorite two
    I'm going to have to build a 6.5 SAUM, it's not an option anymore, now a requirement. I'm just building it to have one with no set goals but would like all around utility (killing stick and maybe a match here and there). So I've got two options:

A: Build it on the manners EH1 I just received for R700 SA with straight bolt and medium Palma contour in GAP elite camo. This was ordered to do a all around build with and I went with the APA bottom metal inlet for that very reason. A 26" medium Palma stuff in this in 6.5 SAUM would make a hell of an all around rifle.

Or

B: I'm going to order a sentinel with the same specs (but KMW bottom metal of course) as soon as I decide what color I want and build it on that.

I'm leaning towards A. Better all around setup and I already have the part that takes he longest to get.

I gotta say I'm extremely jealous of all you guys! The only thing holding me back from a 6.5SAUM conversion for my DTA is the brass availability. I don't have any experience in the wildcatting/brass forming/necking up/down game and am pretty hesitant to screw up the brass.

Do yall know if this might get a run of brass done up like the 6mm Creedmoor? Hornady/Norma/Lapua (a guy can dream)? I'd love to get into the caliber but at $2.30 apiece for Remington brass from Copper Creek the price is a bit high...