• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Sizing Gauge

MAGA4LIFE

Knob Slobber Extraordinaire
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2019
Kentucky
He fellas ,,, I have a 6.5 Cartridge gauge for my hand loads..... when I Gauged em there were a few that did not drop "FREELY" 100% FLUSH into the gauge ,,, with a little finger pressure they slid right in . Is it ok to fire those rounds seeing as when they are fed into the chamber by the force of the bolt closing they will ( IN MY OPINION) be fully seated into the chamber. What say you ?

Well, a fired case will chamber and fire again if not full length sized, but will not get close to dropping freely into an ammo checker. So I'd say no big deal. But if almost fits, its probably just a slight tweak to your sizing die.

He fellas ,,, I have a 6.5 Cartridge gauge for my hand loads..... when I Gauged em there were a few that did not drop "FREELY" 100% FLUSH into the gauge ,,, with a little finger pressure they slid right in . Is it ok to fire those rounds seeing as when they are fed into the chamber by the force of the bolt closing they will ( IN MY OPINION) be fully seated into the chamber. What say you ?

A case gage only tells you if a cases will, or will not, fit in that gage. Generally those gages are the minimum of the cartridge spec but that doesn't mean the cartridge won't fit in your rifle or be safe to fire.

Reactions: spife7980
Might be an issue, depending on the gauge. Standard Wilson bottleneck gauges are oversized in dia and made only for checking head clearance. If the case body won't fit in one of those, there's something off.

Case gauges, unless specified otherwise, only give you min/max headspace checks but do not tell if the body of the case is sized correctly.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^ and a drop in type gauge will sometimes hangup due to a burr on the case rim or a bent case rim giving a false reading.