• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

6.5 x 47 barrel length?

fredjake1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2009
I am having a 6.5 x 47 being built and trying to decide on barrel length. Is it worth going longer than 24". Lija 8 twist sendero contour. Rifle is for shooting-hunting.

Re: 6.5 x 47 barrel length?

I have a 6.5 x 47 with a 20" barrel. Fitted with a moderator it is nice and quiet and fires 120gr Sierra pro hunters at 2750 fps without need for much load development.

CCI 450 small rifle magnum primers
Varget 38.3 grains

Possibly the closest thing to the ideal deer calibre ever invented (in my opinion).
Hopefully mainstream rifle/ammo makers will start to take note of this cartridge and chamber stalking rifles in it.

Best of luck with your build.

i ordered a 26" barrel for the extra speed in an MTU contour .
its gona bee a pretty heavy long range gun, and chambered for lapua 139 grainers, probably not so much for hunting, so i dont mind the longer barrel.

My mate cut his 26" to 22" and lost maybe 10fps. Not worth the extra length/weight to go longer. I'm cutting my 24" to 20"

I went 26" but would have Bern happy to sacrifice speed for handiness and had a 20" tube

Id say 24" should be your max length. I run a 24 plus a suppressor and it's not to bad of an overall length to run around with.

I like 22-23" for hunting in 6.5mm. 21 on the short end w/47, 24 on the long side. Good luck w/build.

Thanks for all the advice- greatly appreciated.

The optimum for 300m competition shooting seems to be 23". For long range competition keppeler for example offers a 30" barrel but I don´t think this makes sense for hunting.

I have a competition rifle on order at the moment but would like to explore the possibilities for an additional not too expensive fun boltrifle in the same caliber.